Killing range of a rabbit using a .22LR and a .17 HMR round?

My cz Style, with a custom stock, is zeroed at 50m /55y and I am comfortable taking and hitting head shots on rabbits out to 110m. I use a range finder and drop chart to dial in the range with the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 with tactical turrets seen here on my rifle. Ammo is Eley or Lapua subs

CZStylewithnewstock2.jpg

and here's the drop chart

22lrdropchart.jpg

Edited by clivej

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My cz Style, with a custom stock, is zeroed at 50m /55y and I am comfortable taking and hitting head shots on rabbits out to 110m. I use a range finder and drop chart to dial in the range with the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 with tactical turrets seen here on my rifle. Ammo is Eley or Lapua subs

CZStylewithnewstock2.jpg

22lrdropchart.jpg

Hi Clive, nice stock.

What wind speed is the drop chart for, 4mph? Are you using a moderator? What length is the barrel?

Sorry for the barrage but Eleys through my CZ don't perform nearly as well as they do through yours, which is a bit annoying.

Cheers,

Steve.

This could easily end up with who has the biggest P***k......

POWER wise they both have plenty a long way off, by best with .22lr (sub sonic) is a baby bunny at 192 yards and with the HMR 258 yards (17g V-Max)...so far!

Fact is we all like the long shots but someone will always do better, no sooner had I hit bunny at 258 and was talking to a pal, all pleased with myself, and he told me his best was 285 yards.

The reality is that shots come along from time to time if you shoot enough.

Simple fact is, even having made these shots, I suggest the .22lr can only be considered a 100 yard tool and the HMR a 150 (JUST MAYBE 175) yard tool! MAXIMUM.

If I go out looking for longer ranges I would not take these calibres! :thumbs:

:clapper: well said mister if only everyone was on the same level :victory:

CZStylewithnewstock2.jpg

22lrdropchart.jpg

Hi Clive, nice stock.

What wind speed is the drop chart for, 4mph? Are you using a moderator? What length is the barrel?

Sorry for the barrage but Eleys through my CZ don't perform nearly as well as they do through yours, which is a bit annoying.

Cheers,

Steve.

Wind speed is 10mph and the CZ 22lr Style barrel length is 22.5". I use a SAK moderator, cheap and does the job well. I get 1/2" @50m all the time which opens up to 1-1/2" @110m. I find using the 13-27 harris bi-pod @13" is just right when out in the fields laying prone and is just the right height for me.

It makes the long shots so much easy'er when you know the correct distance to the target, using a range finder, and can then dial in the range.

Edited by clivej

Hi Clive,

With virtually the exact same set-up and zero Eleys drop a measured 26" at 150yds and are dragged a full 10" downwind at the same distance with a 10mph wind, again tested.

Your wind figures are even better than my HMR can achieve, which dispite popular opinion is much better in the wind than the Eley 22LR round. Again this is according to my tape measure, not just charts. Altough in fairness the charts are very close for Hornaday's 17g load figures.

Wish my 22 was as flat and slippery as yours.

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi Clive,

With virtually the exact same set-up and zero Eleys drop a measured 26" at 150yds and are dragged a full 10" downwind at the same distance with a 10mph wind, again tested.

Your wind figures are even better than my HMR can achieve, which dispite popular opinion is much better in the wind than the Eley 22LR round. Again this is according to my tape measure, not just charts. Altough in fairness the charts are very close for Hornaday's 17g load figures.

Cheers,

Steve.

I don't think it's anythink magic and I only shoot out to 110m. And yes I do miss a few out there but not many.

I use the calulator from the Big Game Info website and found it matched my rifle very well. I also find that I don't need to read the wind as where I shoot has plenty of trees around to reduce the wind enough not to bother with it.

Here's a short video of when I was out with a friend shooting rabbits.

http://www.biggameinfo.com/index.aspx?&amp...%2fbalcalc.ascx

BigGameInfoimage.jpg

Wondering off the original subject a bit here but interesting nevertheless, I have always struggled to find

Ballistic Coefficient

for virtually every round (and it is important in the chart calculations) and what the **** is

Sectional Density and where do I find that for ammo!

Cheers

Hi Clive,

Cheers,

Steve.

I don't think it's anythink magic and I only shoot out to 110m. And yes I do miss a few out there but not many.

I use the calulator from the Big Game Info website and found it matched my rifle very well. I also find that I don't need to read the wind as where I shoot has plenty of trees around to reduce the wind enough not to bother with it.

Here's a short video of when I was out with a friend shooting rabbits.

http://www.biggameinfo.com/index.aspx?&amp...%2fbalcalc.ascx

BigGameInfoimage.jpg

in the calculations you have inputted the bc of a 40 grain 22lr bullet at .420 in reality its about .1,when working out a drop and drift chart for any round the most important info is to have the correct bc value for your bullet the weight of the bullet has no bearing on the drop and drift.

atb paul

A BC of .115, MV of 1060 gives me the closest match to how Eleys perform through my 16" CZ with SAK mod and with a sight height 1.377" above the bore. That's using the G1 drag formula.

This works right the way out to 200yds although the poor inherent accuracy of the 22LR bullet means actually hitting a bunny is still more luck than judgement passed about 120yds.

I find the biggest challenge correctly estimating the wind speed all the way to target, at the split second you squeeze the trigger. Although the HMR still moves a fair old distance, I personally find it more predictable.

At 150yds it's a lot less off course than the 22 in the first place so a slight error in wind estimation is less punishing. Of course I still miss loads because of gusty winds, what else could it be? ;)

Cheers

Steve

I left the BC in the calculator because I didn't know the correct value to put in there, but as it is it works for me.

I was at the range today and at 100m and I dialed in 24 clicks of up and I was bang on the nose.

clivej

Don't take this the wrong way and I'm not having a go at all.....

I have never known ANY of these Ballistic Calculators to be accurate,..there are too many other factors to take into account, barrel length, moderator, dirty/clean/worn barrel, temperature, air pressure, humidity, altitude, etc, etc, etc... but they tend to give you an idea, put you in the ball park and are useful, but by you saying the above, it just goes to show that it does NOT work! :doh:

I have nevertheless saved the link to my Favourites! :thumbs:

Half the problem is that as with most things, cars, motorbikes, computers, the manufacturers tend to exagerate their published figures.

Which I suspect is why Deker has found most to be inaccurate, as well as all the variables you mention D. But, and there's no getting away from it, the physics work if you apply the right numbers in the first place.

The ONLY way to be sure of drops and drifts is obviously through field work. However once you have plotted the genuine path of the bullet and matched it to a drag function, you will have the exact number of clicks for every single yard out to your tested maximum and a drift value for every conceivable wind speed and direction.

More useful with the HMR than the 22 for sure, but the technology has definitely been very useful to me. If for nothing else than helping me to learn hold-overs and drifts to about 90yds, cos' who uses come-ups under a lamp at night shooting bunnies with a 22?

Also with a 22, humidity, barometric pressure and temperature have so little effect it's not worth worrying about. My chart is complied for an average sea level pressure of 1013mb and 10C air temp. It's close enough all year round.

Love charts or hate 'em, you can't say they don't work. Information regarding factory ammo however, is little more than wishful thinking in most cases.

Cheers

Steve