Killing range of a rabbit using a .22LR and a .17 HMR round?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all i was wondering what the killing range of a each calibre would be.

Thanks

About 80yds for the 22 and 150yds-200yds with the HMR. Both will kill at longer ranges but accuracy drops off quite quickly. I would stick to ranges at which you are confident you can shoot reasonable groups.

i headshot a hare with my .17hmr ranged at 187 yards. however it was on a very still day. wouldnt bother if there was any wind. depends how well you know your rifle really. deker claims a 200 yard rabbit with his .22lr. perfectly possible if you know bullet drop

Thanks

About 80yds for the 22 and 150yds-200yds with the HMR. Both will kill at longer ranges but accuracy drops off quite quickly. I would stick to ranges at which you are confident you can shoot reasonable groups.

completey agree with these ranges....night time shooting is reduced even further,stuff always looks further away at night

Thanks

Both have the 'power' to kill right out to 400 yards but neither have the accuracy to do such work.

The .22rf will IF you know your bullet kill rabbits out to 100 yards from a bench rest / prone, but you have one hell of a drop. My rifle is zeroed at 50 yards and I have a 7" drop at 100 yards and 1.5" grouping with no wind. Anything over 100 yards is practically impossible with a .22rf and IMHO the very maximum honest range.

The .17 HMR takes over from the 100 yard mark, now people do tell me that they have shot 200 yards with the HMR, I can not say but I can say with the .22 WMR I used to extend my range to 160 odd yards on fine still days.

The problem with all these calibres is the wind, none is very good at bucking the wind and for that reason range is limited.

John

my 22 rimfire is zeroed at 60 yards and i have shot rabbits from 15yards out to 120 the 150 s are at a push but have done this a few times as well

hmr same again but you can go out further its flatter and makes a bigger hole thats all plenty of practice with what ever rifle you have will not be a waste of time

Edited by tony h

people that say they shoot hmr at 200 yard rabbits alot are living in a dream. you try a rabbit over 200 yards at night with centrefire is a good shot the hmr doing it is another thing.

yes it mite be done a couple of times but not consistantly shot at that range. you would have to no bullet drop and hold over very well. or no the amount of clicks on your scope needed to do it consistantly.

there is alot of crap about the hmr and long range i and i would bet anyone couldnt hit rabbits all night at 200 yards

Shot a rabbit the last day with the .22lr at 125 yards, shot his mate at 130 yards also but he kicked himself down the burrow.

I think 200 yards is possible with a .22lr. I've kicked up sand at their feet and either side around 195.

Shot a rabbit the last day with the .22lr at 125 yards, shot his mate at 130 yards also but he kicked himself down the burrow.

I think 200 yards is possible with a .22lr. I've kicked up sand at their feet and either side around 195.

if its possible with a .22lr then 17 hmr should be able to do this as well dont you think

weather or not anyone would want to even try this at night or not i really could not see the point would be hard to spot , you never know though you could get lucky

I won't comment on HMR as I don't have enough experience using one shooting rabbits.

I did the above in day time. Night time would depend on having the right conditions, a very good scope and a good lamp as well as safe ground that you know.

Edited by JohnGalway

I only go head shots, and have a .22lr calibrated scope (Hawke SR reticle) it is calibrated out to about 130 yards on a 60 yard zero.)

I draw the line at 100-110 yards..More in perfect conditions is possible, I use self restraint...the squidgy organic bit, behind the trigger being the biggest stumbling block.. I shoot to sell, so anything else is waste or ferret food in my opinion... :icon_redface:

I won't comment on HMR as I don't have enough experience using one shooting rabbits.

I did the above in day time. Night time would depend on having the right conditions, a very good scope and a good lamp as well as safe ground that you know.

i only know of what i have seen with the hmr my mate shoots one but he is bloody good shot i dont own one,only 22lr

would not mind one though they seem a pretty awsome round

This could easily end up with who has the biggest P***k......

POWER wise they both have plenty a long way off, by best with .22lr (sub sonic) is a baby bunny at 192 yards and with the HMR 258 yards (17g V-Max)...so far!

Fact is we all like the long shots but someone will always do better, no sooner had I hit bunny at 258 and was talking to a pal, all pleased with myself, and he told me his best was 285 yards.

The reality is that shots come along from time to time if you shoot enough.

Simple fact is, even having made these shots, I suggest the .22lr can only be considered a 100 yard tool and the HMR a 150 (JUST MAYBE 175) yard tool! MAXIMUM.

If I go out looking for longer ranges I would not take these calibres! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker