What you've never seen

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never seen a wild mink :no: loads of grass snakes,adders etc :yes: plenty of badgers when I lived in Durham.One thing I see every single day without fail is a flock of wild parrots,yeah,right here in the uk :yes:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Two birds I never connected with and which I'd like to have were Capper' and Goshawk.

Animals? I've now seen just about everything that sneaks about the place, with the exception of a 'confirmed' Wild Cat and an Otter. I'd like to see an otter moving across land. That'd be interesting.

Badger. Moll? I was out with my ex, on a place called Kingley Vale. Hampshire / Sussex border. It was dusk and we were trying to come up with a Golden Pheasent. As we sat on this sloping bank in the gathering gloom, along came this young badger.

I veeeerrrryyy slowly raised my arm to point to him and motioned with my eyes to get the slags attention, then froze. Blow me if billy boy didn't trundle right up and take a cautious sniff of my pointing finger! I was tempted to snatch his snout and go, " Badger! " at him. But I figured he might strike back a bit faster and more effectivley! F*** That! :icon_eek:

Bring a Lamp over here and hit the Bog. You'll see a gray carpet, any night. Had them in my garden. Cuckoo's? Come in May. I leaned on my back gate and had three in vision at the same time.

Trick for spotting a Cuckoo? Easy. Go to where ye hear one calling, in May. Sort out the biggest, tallest trees in view and just watch them. Cuckoo will call from one. Then he'll fly all the way to another and do it from there. Massive trees that really stand out are his favourite. He looks like a hawk with a 'wrong' tail. Easy.

The funniest encounter I had with a badger was when out shooting rabbits with the .22 with a mate .I shot a rabbit at a fair distance and unfortunately never killed it outright.My mate ran to it before it got down a bury in the hedge and arrived at the rabbit the same time as a badger came out the hedge to grab the rabbit .My mate grabbed the rabbit and a tug of war ensued for a second or two before the badger realized his mistake and retreated into the hedge !Funny to watch . :11:

TUG OF WAR :11: i wouldn't have give the rabbit up without a fight either :ph34r:

I remember as a kid my uncle taking me out to show me a badger,

late at night, Uncle,my dad,me , my brother and cousin all trundling through a wood with a lamp to look for these badger's that he had seen in a sett near to the wood

we hear a noise behind us,

turn round,

uncle turns on lamp its a young badger following us along the path :11: :11: i dont know who was more shocked us or the badger....suffice to say he quickly left the way he had come and we went home happy :)

Back on the topic of this thread, never saw any reptiles when i lived "Up North" ,

in my back garden two years ago saw a sand lizard, had to stop the dog eating it, tried to get a pic but it didn't come out :angry:

then in july this year when it was really hot, saw a grass snake in the shallows of a nearby stream :yes: whilst walking the dogs and letting them have a cool down, saw this long thin thing moving, moved in closer and saw the entire snake dash from one patch of cover to another :yes:

seen pretty much everything else the british isles has , even think i saw a BIG CAT ;)

In the last 5 years or so had 3 differnt good sightings of Otter back when i was a kid we never saw any also saw a Lizard last year and thought i was having a flash back! :icon_eek: seen plenty of snakes this year too but keep the dogs away from em plenty of Adders around here,the only thing ive not seen 'alive' in the wild is a Badger seen a few as roadkill and seen more hares this spring than for a lot of years

I allways thought Cuckoos only called when they where flying?!?

Guest Ditch_Shitter
I allways thought Cuckoos only called when they where flying?!?

:unsure: Never gave that too much thought, mate. I'm pretty certain they do call in flight. I remember vividly having one come streaming right over my cottage here as I stood in the yard beneath him. I'm pretty sure I remember he was calling. But, equelly, I'm sure I remember watching them vanish into these big old trees and then hearing their calls again.

Now, talking of cuckoo calls; How many have heard 'a cuckoo goosed' ? That's something that was new to me. They call the usual, coo - koo. coo - koo. But then, maybe just once or twice a day, if ye out there with 'em, you might get to hear; " Coo - koo. Coo - koo. Cu Ooh!!! " :laugh: Sounds just like someone's crept up behind them and ....!