DVD REVIEW

skycat

It's not often I get the chance to sit down and watch a DVD from start to finish, and to be honest not many films hold my interest for more than a few moments as so many hunting type films tend to get a bit boring after a while, so I popped this DVD into the player with a certain amount of caution!

An hour and a half later I'd sat and watched A Few Ferrets More all the way through without having once wanted to get up and do something else!

It starts with a detailed and excellent description of various ferret types, their housing and feeding requirements and why different types of ferrets are suited to different types of ground etc.

On to traps and this sequence is a must for anyone wanting to control large numbers of rabbits: drop boxes and catch alive traps were shown, their methods of deployment and some of the down sides too: I was truly impressed by the sheer efficiency of the drop boxes.

The hazards of ferreting difficult ground are shown as well and throughout the commentary is clear and to the point.

Being a lurcher person I was of course more than a little interested in the lurchers featured in this film, which was, by the way, beautifully and professionally filmed from start to finish. There's a cracking lamping sequence with some spectacular catches made by fast and committed dogs, showing again, how different types of lurcher approach this task.

For me the high point of the entire film had to be the final ferreting sequence, with Phil Lloyd taking over the commentary to appreciate just how good the black lurcher bitch Tegan is at her job. You have to be a dog man or woman to appreciate the hours of training that have gone into making this lurcher what she is, though her innate intelligence and ability shine through at every step.

Only people who have worked lurchers with long nets can really appreciate just how good this dog is at her task.

I'd certainly put this DVD as reccomended viewing for anyone starting out, wanting to learn more about rabbit control or simply wanting some enjoyable viewing of a gang of dedicated hunters who really do know what they are on about!

RRP £20 plus £2 p&p

availble from Landmark Ferret Films, PO Box 365, Lymington, SO41 1AB or online at www.ferretfilms.co.uk

Edited by skycat

yep , watched it this morning, good film. that old mongral socks runs did ok :D good catch just befor the net and jumps it :thumbs::yes: most dogs would have had that net down , mine included :icon_redface:

also liked the lamping bit, its not often you find lamping films that are as well filmed as the lurcher mania lamping films. ok this was only 5 mins , but a good clip none the less ;)

the dog does very well under the hedges as well, and very very soft mouthed. had one just the same a few year ago.

good film :thumbs: TOMO

Just recieved a copy of all three DVD's from James as a prize for our show this weekend, a very kind gesture indeed, and a copy for me to take a look at, so it looks like an early finish tonight(been working 6am to10pm lately to get gear ready for the show), a bottle of JD for me, and a bag of crisps for Mrs Hubery, from what every one else as had to say this sound like an enjoyable film, look forward to seeing Sox with out the bottom of a glass in front of his face

YE I SHOULD LEEVIEW GOT HOURS OF HUNTING LOCALY AND FAR BUT ALAS SOME NOT FOR THE FEINT HEARTED, SOME GUYS IVE TOOK OUT HAVE VIDOED QUITE ABIT .BUT TRUTHULY NOT A CAMERA MAN OR VIDOE, BUT IF SOMEBODY I TRUST WANTS TO DO A BIT DONT MIND BUT ME, NOT BOTHERD ,TAKE THE ODD PIC BUT E IF YOUR AT IT ALOT THE CAMERA IS THE LAST THING YOU WANT TO TAKE AS ITS JUST ANOTHER DAY, AT THE TIME ,ITS WHEN YOU LOOK BACK YOU SAY I WISH I HAD TOOK A CAMERA OR VID BUT ,MEMORIES ARE GOOD TO AND PRIVATE , FOR THE TEN YEARS IVE BEEN TO NEW MEXICO GREAT COURSING NEVER EVEN BOTHERD ABOUT VIDOEING ALL SORTS , SAME WHEN WORKING THE BOAT IN SUMMER FOR LOBSTERS AND FISH YOU COULD MAKE SOME CRACJKING VIDS BUT NEVER BOTHERD ME, TO BUSY GRAFTING AND ANTICIPATING THE CATCH FOR THE DAY BUD

YOUR VERYY [bANNED TEXT] THERE LEEVIEW I SHOULD MAKE A VIDOE STARTING WITH , NETTING THE SEA, ABIT LOBSTER POTTING HOW TO MAKE NETS AND TRAPS, THEN START WITH THE DOGS GETTING FIRT A BIT BOLTING RABBS THEN FLUSHING HARES AND ROE FOR WITH DOGS AND MAYB A FEW NETS WITH SALMON INT HEM MAYBE PEOPLE WOULD LIKE TO SEE THAT WHAT DO YOU THINK

YOUR VERYY [bANNED TEXT] THERE LEEVIEW I SHOULD MAKE A VIDOE STARTING WITH , NETTING THE SEA, ABIT LOBSTER POTTING HOW TO MAKE NETS AND TRAPS, THEN START WITH THE DOGS GETTING FIRT A BIT BOLTING RABBS THEN FLUSHING HARES AND ROE FOR WITH DOGS AND MAYB A FEW NETS WITH SALMON INT HEM MAYBE PEOPLE WOULD LIKE TO SEE THAT WHAT DO YOU THINK

yep the police and the RSPCA would LOVE to see it :clapper::clapper::clapper: ...............

yep the police and the RSPCA would LOVE to see it :clapper::clapper::clapper: ...............

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

ITS ALL LEGAL AND PRE BAN STUFF I WOULDNT DARE DO ANYTHIN TO NAUGHTY , THE SALMO MATES GOT A COMMERCAIL SALMON STATION THE LOBSTERS I HAVE A COMMERCAIL BOAT WITH LICENCE THE HARES AND ROE PRE BAN AND ON PERMISS ,,AND BOLTING A FEW RABBITS ALL LEGAL AND MAKEING NETS AND LOBBY TRAPS ALL LEGAL SO HOW WOULD YOU GET DONE PEOPLE WOULDNT LIKE IT BUT HEY WHAT THE f**k ,

THEN AGAIN MY LIFES WORTH MORE THAN A 20 POUND VIDOE OR DVD BUT YES I HAVE THE LAND THE NO HOW THE DOGS AND OTHER IMPLEMENTS TO MAKE A SEROUS GOOD VIDOE AND MAYBE A CLASSIC ALL THROUGH MY OWN HARD TIOL GUYS ,THE RABBITING VIDS YOUSE MAKE ARE FINE BUT IF YOUVE DONE IT FOR ALIVING PER HEAD AT ONE TIME IT S HARD TO GET EXITED AND TO ME LIFE IS ABUZZ AND IF I DONT GET THE SAME EXITMENT I LOSE INTREST EVEN THO I LIKE RABITING ONLY ONE PART OF MY ARMOURY , EASTLOTHAIN IS ABIG PLACE