Wild Flower Identification Requests

Guest Ditch_Shitter

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually no....scrap that the leaves are wrong.

Something weird going on...i didnt delete what i originally put, just added the scrap that bit, but the original has gone :icon_eek:

MOLL.

Edited by MOLLY
Guest Ditch_Shitter

Was out on my own field this evening and came a cross a single, solitary specimen of this little beauty, stood there. One look and the old internal Hard Drive slung up " Ragged Robin "! I got the best shot of it I could ~ breeze and light conditions permitting ~ and have since checked it out. Yeppers! I was right first time! :) Funny, because it's another of those things I've obviously just taken in and stored unconciously, along the way. Nice thing. Apparrently perfectly common on wet meadows, such as mine. Though I would wonder about the acidity of the soil here ..... That and my donkey and goats eating any more which might have been there! :unsure:

Ragged Robin ~ Lychnis flos - cuculi

Another certified addition to our own little on line catalogue of the things we may see out there :good:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Now, here's an interesting little follow up, Moll: Whilst checking out the Ragged Robin, above, I saw it referred to (probably on an American site) as " Knapweed ". Well, I knew it wasn't what we'd call Knapweed as that's something quite differant.

Then, on this mornings little stroll up the track, look what I happened across! :D

(Black) Knapweed ~ Centaurea nigra

I also found a host of good information about this - and other Irish plants (obviously, most, if not all pertaining to Britain too) - on the BTCV site, Here.

I'm seeing other things out there yet. But I'm leaving those to develope fuller flower so we can get a better look at them ;)

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Stewards Enquirie!

I spotted This one in a hedge today. I was convinced it was White Bryony. But, having shot it and brought the shots home for closer examination and verification, I realised my mistake: The leaves, of course, are all wrong for Bryony and it lacks those characteristic tendrills.

All I can come up with then is Bittersweet (Solanum Dulcemara). Yet this just seems like about the biggest, thickest Bittersweet I've ever seen. And just take a look at the Very Bryony like Wrap around that branch!

I'm figuring it must be SD, simply because nothing else in my experiance fits the bill. Care to confer? What's the concensus here, please?

Bittersweet (Solanum Dulemara) ?

Wrap

It's a bit of a beauty, what ever it is, eh? :)

Herb Robert Geranium robertianum

Cracked it! :D

This is why i thought a wild geranium but then....wrong leaves! These are the ones near me. You can see the flowers and leaves are identical except for the shape of them.

MOLL.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

You Thought it was a wild Geranium, Moll? Geranium Robertianum. It Is a wild geranium! Just a differant sort. Just like (I imagine) Rough Legged, Honey and your flock of Common Buzzards are all 'Buzzards'. Just have slight differances that make them differant. But same family.

Anyway, I came across an Irish site today. It shows photographs of a variety of plants to be found in Ireland. Already I'm gagging to track down and get my own shots of some of them! Just goes to show, doesn't it? We're 'Hunters' through and through. Blood doesn't have to be spilled to satisfy that deep craving. We just need to get out there, seek out and come up with our quarry ~ what ever it is.

And, of course, in this day and age; We then need to exhibit photographs in fora to show everyone how successful we are! Look, everybody; I Got One! :laugh:

Never seen one of those before :thumbs-up:

Its funny how the slight change in temp from the North to the South etc can create such a difference in plants.

MOLL.

Loads of ragged robins in the frozen north Moll, this is one I photographed earlier this summer down the fields local to me

177a8804.jpg

and a cultivated geranium from my garden, bears a lot of resemblance to your wild geranium ditchy

8c54e712.jpg

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Gorgeous shot of the raggy, Keeps! (Aren't they about a foot, foot and half tall?) I was just thinking; I'm probably on more or less the same lattitude as el Moll? So, if you're well up north of even her then maybe they are more prolific there? Alough I do tend to equate everything here with the acidity. Maybe mine was just a bird planted job that 'got lucky'? Seems weird there should only be that one out there, on over an acre of field. I never noted if they're Ann or Perr. Be nice to see them take out there.

Incidentally; I've since realised the roadsides and ditches around here are absolutley Ablaze with Herb Robert and Woundwort! Amazing how the eye admits to what it knows about and yet hides it's embarressment in primary ignorance! Before they'd just been 'plants'. I 'didn't want to know' :laugh:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Further north than me, Moll? I'm afraid I don't know where the Cheviots are, actually. But then, I'd have a hell of a job pin pointing Leitrim on a blank map :icon_redface:

I wonder if it's a northerly inclined plant then? What are the Chev's; Limestone? Could be a soil type thing?

Race ye to Google? :laugh: