Wheres all the rabbits gone?!

Is it just me? Ive been down one of my permissions a few times recently and where previously id see at least a dozen bunnies and bag 2 or 3, now im lucky if i see any. The land owner also has commented that they havent seen any recently. Also, the local roundabout near me used to have no end of bunnies on it. Around 6 could be seen whenever you drove past any time of the day / night. Now, none there either.

Where have they all gone? On holiday? Its so anoying, spending 3 hours and not seeing a single rabbit. Anyone else got this problem?

Is it just me? Ive been down one of my permissions a few times recently and where previously id see at least a dozen bunnies and bag 2 or 3, now im lucky if i see any. The land owner also has commented that they havent seen any recently. Also, the local roundabout near me used to have no end of bunnies on it. Around 6 could be seen whenever you drove past any time of the day / night. Now, none there either.

Where have they all gone? On holiday? Its so anoying, spending 3 hours and not seeing a single rabbit. Anyone else got this problem?

hi mate sorry to here about your permission.

i go to 4 farms were i write down how many i take a time one farm i take 130 a year and i get that every year and stop in 2006 i took 170 and in 2007 i could not even get 50 so last year took nothing been there to see how it is this year and they are every were.

what im trying to say is if you hamer the place in the end they can not recover

Two of my permissions used to have lots of rabbits on them,but,sadly,on the last few outings i've only had a couple each time,and that's been over 5 hours.Went out with a friend on Monday to a farm where we shoot (only with shotguns at the moment)as the farmer asked if we would like to do some lamping with him, ( not 'arf) and we had 45 in 2 hours,and only 1 with myxi, hopefully he will see we can do the job and maybe give us permission to shoot with rifles over the 1700 acres,fingers crossed!!

Alan :)

Edited by Alan108

I've down to my permission this evening.

Over the last 7 days I've taken 15 in total, (I am trying to hammer them there in order to get a much bigger permission).

Blanked yesterday (missed two) then today same place I only saw one and couldn't get close enough (old guy in the lotties chatting about his shooting when he was younger).

I looked over the fence to my verbal permission where there are usually loads and only saw one sat next to the caravan and that one didn't look right. It didn't even move when one of the horses nearly stood on it :hmm:

I'm wondering if either Myxie (although I've seen no sign its about) or RHD is to blame.

After the manky one I put down last week I'm beggining to think RHD.

Phantom

I think you'll find its because the bunnies are waiting for dark now that the nights are drawing in, the only reason they come out in the Summer is because they get hungry before it gets dark, get your lamps out lads :D

I've been out till well after dark, as soon as the lamp goes on they hightail it out of there :angry:

A bit of a silly question for Stealthy, When the light goes, I find it very difficult to estimate range, any ideas to simplify this?

Phantom

Had a strange one at my place on Sunday :blink: did both quarries & only 1 rabbit to show for my efforts must have seen no more than 8 in total...2 of them i missed :doh: had a few stoats around the last month finishing off the myxi's but the myxi has'nt been that bad this year :blink: so who knows???

Phantom range guesstimation at night is difficult... for me once i bag my first one on the lamp my confidence grows & i tend just to get the feel for the shot..if you know what i mean :hmm: I equally miss sitters day or night it's just part of airgunning for me...gave up over analysing things a while back :gunsmilie:

I think you'll find its because the bunnies are waiting for dark now that the nights are drawing in, the only reason they come out in the Summer is because they get hungry before it gets dark, get your lamps out lads :D

I've been out till well after dark, as soon as the lamp goes on they hightail it out of there :angry:

A bit of a silly question for Stealthy, When the light goes, I find it very difficult to estimate range, any ideas to simplify this?

Phantom

Now your asking :( You could try a little trial and error with your scope and lamp, for me its just some thing you'll get better with once you get to know your kit better, its harder on open ground when there's nothing behind your quarry to give the distance away, like Andy says, just get out there and let them have it :D

Guess I had better try and 'get the feel' then, yeah I know what you mean, but my last 3 shots have all been misses :( under lamp

Phantom

Ok, i'm just 'blue sky thinking' here. Mil-dots: does the bunnies head, fit between the first circle of dots at a certain range, and the outer ones at a longer range??? With a bit of experimenting could you find the specific ranges for each group of rings? Even if only as a guide? I've never had a mil-dot scope, so if talking :censored: i'm sorry - i just thought i'd put that out there! :)

f**k it i'm on a roll now. Another idea i got is DAM BUSTERS. You know in order to drop the bouncing bomb, the planes had to be at a very specific height from the water in order to get the bomb to start bouncing. In order for the bomber to know when the plane was at the right the distance they fitted two spot lights on the under carriage pointing at the surface of the water. When the plane was at the correct height the two spots of light would close together to become one. So, i'm thinking, do the same but with two laser sights. You can see the beams through your scope, if you get them to align at 40 yards presto! You could do with two different colours of laser too so you know if you're under or over :)

Another idea i got is DAM BUSTERS. You know in order to drop the bouncing bomb, the planes had to be at a very specific height from the water in order to get the bomb to start bouncing. In order for the bomber to know when the plane was at the right the distance they fitted two spot lights on the under carriage pointing at the surface of the water. When the plane was at the correct height the two spots of light would close together to become one. So, i'm thinking, do the same but with two laser sights. You can see the beams through your scope, if you get them to align at 40 yards presto! You could do with two different colours of laser too so you know if you're under or over :)

Actually Tris, lasers are brilliant for range finding.

Have it set above the scope you can adjust the laser so that at 30 yards, the laser is spot on the cross at the zero range. The laser will shine lower when distance is greater and higher when closer.

I am thinking of doing just this for night shooting :D

Phantom