Feel the same about being born at the wrong time but if we had been born in the good old days maybe we'd all be on the other side of the world doing time down under lol.I also feel if we dn't hang onto these old time ways then they will die out for sure,been walking in the footsteps of a few old norfolk names latley,McKenzie and Rolf to name but 2 and i feel it's a duty to continue the old traditional ways :ninja:;) .

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Keeper sure is a very busy fellow as in none of that vermin is rotten. In this warm weather it would be rotten in a few days.

Yes, he's doing a good job but hopefully pictures like that will stay out of the non shooting publics eye.

We have very few Jays here in Ireland (or at least you rarely see them) but they're getting more common with the planting of trees becoming widespread. Are they easy to trap in a larson????

I always fancied getting one stuffed, they're a handsome bird, dead or alive.

That Keeper sure is a very busy fellow as in none of that vermin is rotten. In this warm weather it would be rotten in a few days.

Yes, he's doing a good job but hopefully pictures like that will stay out of the non shooting publics eye.

We have very few Jays here in Ireland (or at least you rarely see them) but they're getting more common with the planting of trees becoming widespread. Are they easy to trap in a larson????

I've never been able to trap one in a larsen even with a judas bird. Friend of mine traps no end before he starts on magpies using green/blue bantam eggs in his larsen.

Edited by steviemann

I've never been able to trap one in a larsen even with a judas bird. Friend of mine traps no end before he starts on magpies using green/blue bantam eggs in his larsen.

Try one of the simple "lobster-pot" pheasant catchers . Seven or so feet of 3ft high chicken wire,folded in half ,"stitched" along the top with a hazel rod .Wire-mesh funnel entrance . Prop it 6inches off the ground over a few handfulls of wheat /maize top-up every day and after about a week peg it down.You'll probably get the odd squill and woodie but jays seem more confident about going into these flimsy cages than Larson type and i think they avoid the multi-catch cages because they get the micky taken out of them for their fancy feathers by the other corvids. ;)

Great Post!

Fair play to the bloke i say - as for the Jays comment - words fail me :thumbdown:

Not at all, they eat mainly nuts, acorns and insects. They will take nestlings and small mammals but nothing like a pair of maggies!!

Leave em alone i say, being a keper isn't about killing everything just because they did in the old days where if it had a hookbeak talons or sharp teeth it died!

Jays do very little damage compared to other corvids.

Great Post!

Fair play to the bloke i say - as for the Jays comment - words fail me :thumbdown:

Not at all, they eat mainly nuts, acorns and insects. They will take nestlings and small mammals but nothing like a pair of maggies!!

Leave em alone i say, being a keper isn't about killing everything just because they did in the old days where if it had a hookbeak talons or sharp teeth it died!

Jays do very little damage compared to other corvids.

Yes we all know what you are saying.

As keepers and songbird lovers we should be contolling pest species numbers and although WE do do this I for one would never want to kill every last one of any species(even rats!!!). Whilst it is nice to see the odd Jay, pretty as they are they do need to be controlled!!! All those birds on the gibbet were fairly fresh and not rotten so would prove that keeper on the estate was over run with them. Yes they do mainly eat acorns and insects but they DO also eat birds eggs (before the acorns are grown) and the occassional fledgling. This nesting season I have broke 115 magpies, and best part of 100 crows necks. I have shot several dozen too. But I have only accounted for a dozen jays because we have not a huge number of them this year. There are still plenty about and as I said it is nice to see the odd one or two.

Being a keeper isn't as you say about killing everything IT'S ABOUT CONSERVATION.