Young Hunters Competition

Guest traceyg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here goes nothing (this was on a old permission i don't have any more):

i came out to the paddocks at about 5.00pm and had a good look around. it was a warm evening and i was getting cosy in a gap in the hedge about 30 yrds away from where i expected rabits to pop out of the hedge for the evening. 20 minutes passed and nothing had shown itself yet and as i looked up the hedge i spotted a rabbits head peeking out of the hedge about 50 yrds away. it was way out of my range so i waited to see if it would come closer. slowly other rabbits began to appear munching there way through the grass and i was a nice evening so i waited for quite a while just watching them as they got closer and closer. there were many kits among them as it was spring. i try to only go for the buck rabbits in spring to avoid getting pregnant females. i heard a slight russling behind me and immeadietly i thought that a rabbit had been behind me really close all this time. then, to my suprise, no more than 6 or 7 yrds away from me a fox passed silently by. i froze watching it stalk up to the rabbits. the older ones bolted but a few of the younger, stupider kits stayed. silently this vixen crept up behind a kit and pounced on it, immeadietly getting its neck between its jaws. i was amazed this had all happened about 20 ydrs away from me. then i to my amazment, 3 fox cubs came out of a gap in the hedge up to mum. i watched them eat and play for 15 minutes, all the time without me moving a muscle. and then they slunk away into the hedge i got up and pinched myself in case i was dreaming. nature is beautiful.

here goes nothing (this was on a old permission i don't have any more):

i came out to the paddocks at about 5.00pm and had a good look around. it was a warm evening and i was getting cosy in a gap in the hedge about 30 yrds away from where i expected rabits to pop out of the hedge for the evening. 20 minutes passed and nothing had shown itself yet and as i looked up the hedge i spotted a rabbits head peeking out of the hedge about 50 yrds away. it was way out of my range so i waited to see if it would come closer. slowly other rabbits began to appear munching there way through the grass and i was a nice evening so i waited for quite a while just watching them as they got closer and closer. there were many kits among them as it was spring. i try to only go for the buck rabbits in spring to avoid getting pregnant females. i heard a slight russling behind me and immeadietly i thought that a rabbit had been behind me really close all this time. then, to my suprise, no more than 6 or 7 yrds away from me a fox passed silently by. i froze watching it stalk up to the rabbits. the older ones bolted but a few of the younger, stupider kits stayed. silently this vixen crept up behind a kit and pounced on it, immeadietly getting its neck between its jaws. i was amazed this had all happened about 20 ydrs away from me. then i to my amazment, 3 fox cubs came out of a gap in the hedge up to mum. i watched them eat and play for 15 minutes, all the time without me moving a muscle. and then they slunk away into the hedge i got up and pinched myself in case i was dreaming. nature is beautiful.

I have had the same sort of thing happen to me before but it was with 2 stotes, i still wish now that i had a camera on me.