Assistance on Training Springer pup

Hi all...

Newbie to the site..

I was seeking some guidence on Training my 10 week old Springer Pup to the Gun ..mainley Rough Shooting..flushing retreiving etc..

I am looking to joining a good Club to further this as i appreaceate this cannot be done over the Forum 100%.

I am also looking to buy " Gundog Learning Chain..By J.Erving"..

I Work a Lurcher and Terrier at the moment but the Russel i have was given to me and she wanders to far in front of the Gun :realmad: :diablo: and think she may be too late to turn her round..mad as an hatter..it taes her at least two Fields to knacker her out a bit before she keeps a bit nearer the Gun etc..

The combo i am after is Terrier / Springer to flush Hedges etc and the Lurcher to pick up on missed shots etc..

the Terrier is wicked at flushing just goes to far in front and head strong..any tips on breaking this habit???

Anyway the Springer is 10 weeks now and has anyone got any tips on training him for above flushing and retreiving etc..so i can start basic training???

Guest whitser

get a good book. moxons book on training the rough shooters dog is good. most springer will hunt and retrieve naturally its just a case of getting the basics right, sit, stay and especially the recall.

Guest martyn

seconded,

moxons book is very good,

i wouldnt worry about training a 10 week old dog, just get her to sit, train her very slowly and it will come.

most people recomend no hunting/gun training until the dog is 1 year old...

i would just get thje dog doing the basics like walking to heel sitting and staying on command, later on as well as introducing hand and whistles signals give a very small amount of retrieving and not introducing it to any game till its 100 % right and steady in company of other dogs and stock. if its bred right the breeding will do the rest.if you get the pup wildly hunting early on it will spell trouble trying to get steady than not seeing any game till its obedient.

get her woking to the whistle, and call her if she ranges too far, there is nothing worse than a spaniel that ranges out of gunshot when blowing whistle point ion the direction you want it to go sounds silly but they will cotton on, but all this is months away, get her sitting and buy a puppy dummy and throw it for her once or twice a day only.

good luck.

Guest springerjack
seconded,

moxons book is very good,

i wouldnt worry about training a 10 week old dog, just get her to sit, train her very slowly and it will come.

most people recomend no hunting/gun training until the dog is 1 year old...

Cheers youve just set my mind at ease,i have a springer now 10 months old,im surrounded by mountains,lakes,rivers and good land for rabbits,and excellent for pheasants,

I have brought the dog out into all terrain and he seems to have a great nose for everything as he has flushed pheasants,grouse , foxes,rabbits, hares,duck,and has even got lost in a forestry which i thought, instead i looked to find 4 deer run out of forestry into heavy bogland which was too much for me and just watch him go behind them for a while.

Basically what im trying to say is he is keen on the whole hunting thing but will stay close to me at all times but once he gets the scent of anything he is gone after it and will not respond to whistle or me calling him.

So its a relief to know hes not gone past training,

Can anyone please explain where i can buy this Moxons Book ,it sounds fairly good.