• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Shaman

Try this:

Ingredients:

1 lb. (450 g) sloes

3 cups (710 ml) gin or vodka

1 1/2 cup (350 g) sugar

Wash and dry the fruit, remove all stems, and freeze the sloes for at least a couple of days (not necessary if they are picked after the first frost). Place the fruit in a suitable container, add gin or vodka, and shake twice a week for 4-8 weeks. Transfer most of the liquid to a bottle. Add the sugar to the remaining sloes. Shake twice a day until all sugar has dissolved; this may take up to two weeks. Mix this sweet syrup with the first unsweetened liquid. After three months strain the liqueur thru a muslin cloth. Add some more sugar if necessary. The liqueur should mellow for 6 months before used.

As an alternative you can mix the sloes, gin/vodka and sugar at the same time, but then use slightly less sugar. If preparing the sloe gin/liqueur this way you will also get a delicious flavor, however, the total volume of liqueur will be less because more liquid will remain within the fruit.

Sloes are the fruit of blackthorn and are actually a wild type of plums. The flavor of the fruit is bitter, so the small plums are not suitable for eating. However, the effect of frost makes them milder. The bitter flavor is lost when making liqueurs.

Sloe gin is traditionally made in Ireland and Britain. Sloe liqueur is also made in Scandinavia, Germany, France and Spain. This delicious liqueur has a flavor similar to plum liqueur and the color is dark red. It is best served in small amounts as an after-dinner drink with or without ice.

GET AN EMPTY WINE BOTTLE OR A DEMIJON . IUSE ONE OF THOSE BIG LAMBRINI BOTTLES. :11:

AFTER YOU HAVE WASHED THE FRIUT AND PRICKED EACH ONE JUST PUT THEM IN THE EMPTY BOTTLE UP TO ABOUT A THIRD FULL,THEN POUR IN THE SUGAR SO IT COMES TO JUST ABOVE THE FRIUT IT WILL FILL IN ALL THE GAPS. THEN POUR IN THE THE GIN. THATS IT , DONE

ALL YOU DO NOW IS TURN IT AROUND AND SHAKE IT GENTLY ONE OR TWICE A WEEK.

IF TOU MAKE SOME IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS IT WILL BE READY BY XMAS.

WHEN ITS READY I JUST POUR IT IN TO BIG MEASURING JUG EMPTY ALL THE FRIUT OUT THE BOTTLE, GIVE THE BOTTLE A QUIK RINCE, NO SOAP, THEN POUR THE SLOE GIN BACK IN THE ORIGINAL BOTTLE.

YOU CAN PLAY ABOUT WITH THE AMOUNTS O F BERRIES AND SUGER YOU USE AND I ALWAYS DO ENOUGH TO LEAVE SOME EVEN LONGER THAN XMAS BEFOR I DECANT THEM.

BLACKBERRY GIN IS ALSO NICE SO GET OUT THERE NOW AND PICK THEM ( SAME RECIPE AS THE SLOE)

YOU CAN ALSO USE VODKA MY FAV IS DAMSON VODKA :drink:

GET AN EMPTY WINE BOTTLE OR A DEMIJON . IUSE ONE OF THOSE BIG LAMBRINI BOTTLES. :11:

AFTER YOU HAVE WASHED THE FRIUT AND PRICKED EACH ONE JUST PUT THEM IN THE EMPTY BOTTLE UP TO ABOUT A THIRD FULL,THEN POUR IN THE SUGAR SO IT COMES TO JUST ABOVE THE FRIUT IT WILL FILL IN ALL THE GAPS. THEN POUR IN THE THE GIN. THATS IT , DONE

ALL YOU DO NOW IS TURN IT AROUND AND SHAKE IT GENTLY ONE OR TWICE A WEEK.

IF TOU MAKE SOME IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS IT WILL BE READY BY XMAS.

WHEN ITS READY I JUST POUR IT IN TO BIG MEASURING JUG EMPTY ALL THE FRIUT OUT THE BOTTLE, GIVE THE BOTTLE A QUIK RINCE, NO SOAP, THEN POUR THE SLOE GIN BACK IN THE ORIGINAL BOTTLE.

YOU CAN PLAY ABOUT WITH THE AMOUNTS O F BERRIES AND SUGER YOU USE AND I ALWAYS DO ENOUGH TO LEAVE SOME EVEN LONGER THAN XMAS BEFOR I DECANT THEM.

BLACKBERRY GIN IS ALSO NICE SO GET OUT THERE NOW AND PICK THEM ( SAME RECIPE AS THE SLOE)

YOU CAN ALSO USE VODKA MY FAV IS DAMSON VODKA :drink:

here's how i do it:get a 2liter demijon.(i find the one westons scrumpy comes in work a treat.)

add 6oz of sugar + 1ltr of gin or vodka.

then prick and add as many sloes as it takes to bring the liquid up to the top of the

demijon.

put in the airing cuboard and turn the bottle(top to tail)daily till all the sugar is disolved,then leave for a good few months.works well.

one year done this with a rather fine batch of poitin never again lol.

here in the north east i was out picking blackberrys on the shoot am in and the sloes there are still not ready not sure if they ripen early down south , last year i picked them end september ,they say pick after the first frost ,up hereits a case of who dares leave em longest before someone picks them :11: its a game of nerve , it seems like a bumper crop with some nice big full berries last year was me first attempt and the waiting 3 months til it was ready was well worth it ,so heres hoping there is some left for a nother lot :D

Never pick them till after the first frost and don't tell anyone where your supply is ive got three bottles doing now in the airing cupboard along with gooseberry gin my aim is to end millets life when he comes down in september lmfao :11:

dont do that the mafia will come a knockin :whistle: :11:

i herd about this sloe gin stuff and ive seen it in the shops but f****d if i know what a sloe is ive never seen one in my life and the ones in the pic dont help are they green or purple , a f**k it ile just fill me hip flask with bramble gin and pretend cos knowing me ile go out to get some of these sloe berrys and end up picking the wrong ones , f**k i ate shady berries when i was a kid and i made my gut feal like some f****r was tieing it in knots it was sore i never ate rowan berries again after that :sick: when eating them i did think they tasted like shit but i was willing to try them enyway sour and bitter is what i remmeber what they tasted like ! do you get sloe berries in scotland ??? and enyway isnt gin a POOFS DRINK :D