My First Hawk...

gilly-93

Hi buddy thanks you for the advice that is what I have done so far and she is getting better by the day and I agree to finding her home with someone that no.s about birds but I haven't done this likely I have a mentor that is a massive help and I have been round birds for some 2 years or so and have read many books so I am not a complete novice and I have a good home for her if this doesn't work and I am the boss so to speak [BANNED TEXT] it comes to the bird I have no fear of her at all .but main problem is food I don't want to drop her wait to quickly I have no idea what she was fed before and just wanted to no what everyone else would do in my situation thanks for the reply ian

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your a very lucky young man to have the back up and support at home with the bird. Your mews are first class and a credit to you, your enthusiasm is also spot on, and you have a lovely bird to work wi

Stella hit a small fence hidden in some tall grass while chasing a rabbit thats all i wish to say,after talking things over with dad and a great many tears we have decided not to pack in with the hawk

Starting a thread to keep track of the progress with my first hawk. After reading up on Harris Hawks for more or less a year i decided to take the plunge. Built the mews and weathering aprox 2-3 weeks

Posted Images

Hi buddy thanks you for the advice that is what I have done so far and she is getting better by the day and I agree to finding her home with someone that no.s about birds but I haven't done this likely I have a mentor that is a massive help and I have been round birds for some 2 years or so and have read many books so I am not a complete novice and I have a good home for her if this doesn't work and I am the boss so to speak [bANNED TEXT] it comes to the bird I have no fear of her at all .but main problem is food I don't want to drop her wait to quickly I have no idea what she was fed before and just wanted to no what everyone else would do in my situation thanks for the reply ian

If you've got some kind of mentor mate, then surely he knows what to do? This is falconry 101, if he hasn't got a grasp on this situation, then I suggest you find someone else....quick! Haha.....

How long have you had her? You just need to drop her weight mate, the more you f**k about with her at this weight for longer you could create more problems for yourself.

What are your intentions with her, you want to hunt & you've have got some land with plenty of quarry right?

Don't bother going much further if you've not got that sorted, you will only frustrate her at hunting weight if you are doing fcuk all with her.

Good luck

Edited by Accip74

Haha I no what you are saying buddy and I want to hunt with her I am blest with lots of land and quary to go at and to be fair to my mate / mentor lol what we are doing is working i have had her 2 weeks and is now at 2lb 13.5 Oz and responding well to feeding on the fist with step ups from the bow to fist and across the room I am feeding docs at the minute but to be fair I think the amount of reading I am doing i am questioning everything I am doing just makeing sure I don't do things wrong lol think I am just over thinking things lol

Haha I no what you are saying buddy and I want to hunt with her I am blest with lots of land and quary to go at and to be fair to my mate / mentor lol what we are doing is working i have had her 2 weeks and is now at 2lb 13.5 Oz and responding well to feeding on the fist with step ups from the bow to fist and across the room I am feeding docs at the minute but to be fair I think the amount of reading I am doing i am questioning everything I am doing just makeing sure I don't do things wrong lol think I am just over thinking things lol

Ok then mate that's a very good start having the land/game ;-)

She will happily sit feeding on the fist long before she is ready to go......so you've probably got a good few ounces to go as yet!

Just take her down steady while increasing the distance for reward. Don't over do the recall, as in doing lots of calls to small rewards. Get her working for her rewards, but only do 3-4 calls at the most & split her rations accordingly. Try not to delay getting her into the field longer than you have to because too much feeding up on the fist could cause problems.

Once coming a decent distance on the creance I personally do 2-3 calls to the glove & then introduce the lure & feed the remainder of the ration on there & pickup with a tit-bit, then call it a day. But thats just me, I like to have the lure introduced early & not too much feeding on the glove.

Then get killing!!

I know I was blunt with you, but this isn't the place to learn the basics or seek advice on weight reduction mate. I genuinely wish you well with her ;-) atb

• Like 1

Thank you buddy I appreciate that and I no what you are saying about asking for help on Wight contol on this sight not a good thing to ask basics on hear lol should of worded it better lol but my spelling and grammar is not to good lol I have over 3000 acres of land only an hour from me so I am very blest in that respect my mother in law lives in Wales and no.s lots ov farmers that are Moor than welcome me on there land . I am a little pissed off has well has I have spent over £ 200 on new gear for her over a week ago lures and bells and loads stuff but still no show yet think I need to get on the phone to them much appreciated advice thank you ian

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...