My First Hawk...

gilly-93

Just a quick update, Rubys is flying really well on the creonce but as previously said has took alot to bring her on. She is still very defensive around other people, when dad takes her out she does anything you ask; jump ups, in and out of trees etc dad sure she would fly free but this is ok if its just him and bird when it comes to two people being there she is nervous and defensive and then pretends to be not interested in anything. Today was the first day i had been out with dad in a while due school work etc... After about 10 mintutes she would fly to me but still wings out, tail spread, neck back the works. 20 mintutes she had more or less settled down no problem. We then decided to introduce her to the dummy bunny.

PICT0281.jpg

As you can see from the picture, everything went well... not!! Wont be long now. Liam & Dad

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your a very lucky young man to have the back up and support at home with the bird. Your mews are first class and a credit to you, your enthusiasm is also spot on, and you have a lovely bird to work wi

Stella hit a small fence hidden in some tall grass while chasing a rabbit thats all i wish to say,after talking things over with dad and a great many tears we have decided not to pack in with the hawk

Starting a thread to keep track of the progress with my first hawk. After reading up on Harris Hawks for more or less a year i decided to take the plunge. Built the mews and weathering aprox 2-3 weeks

Posted Images

The best thread on this forum by a long shot, You and your dad are a credit to the sport :notworthy: It's a shame there are not more people like you about. After having to admit to myself (after alot of research and buying all the books) that I won't be having a Harris Hawk because unfortunately my Dad is not like your's who has helped you every step of the way, He is adamant (spelling) that I won't be having one untill I have my own place haha, You have rekindled my love for the sport and the bird.......and the constant nagging to get one will start again :clapper:.

Realy sorry for what happened to stella, especially with you having spent so much time with her,But it would have been a disaster if you had given up, All The Best

McKay

The best thread on this forum by a long shot, You and your dad are a credit to the sport :notworthy: It's a shame there are not more people like you about. After having to admit to myself (after alot of research and buying all the books) that I won't be having a Harris Hawk because unfortunately my Dad is not like your's who has helped you every step of the way, He is adamant (spelling) that I won't be having one untill I have my own place haha, You have rekindled my love for the sport and the bird.......and the constant nagging to get one will start again :clapper:.

Realy sorry for what happened to stella, especially with you having spent so much time with her,But it would have been a disaster if you had given up, All The Best

McKay

Thanks for the reply, it looks like rubys switch has gone over she is flying really well,very responsive at 2.1 and going for the dummy bunny.she is still on the creonce but thats fine, the reason for this is that she has not been the easiest of birds to bring on, very nervous,aggresive and for the want of a better word 'damn right awkward' if i was in the middle of nowhere she would be free but there are a lot of distractions around here that could still spook her and i don't want her going backwards..... all that aside she's 10 times better than she was last week, she is also free lofted and is happy as larry.

liam is also getting out with me for an hour after school and she is flying well to him and it looks like they are bonding i put this down to the fact that i spent so much time on my own with her to start with that when someone else turns up its a bit like starting from scratch.. in the short time we had stella i must have said everyday'theres nowt to training a hawk its easy'how wrong i was...you see posts saying my hawk flew free in 2 weeks..some will, stella did more or less... if i had to sum up my short time with hawks i would say falconry is an art.. a team event not a race. :clapper: regards mark..liams dad

PICT0288.jpg

Edited by gilly-93
  • 1 month later...

Not posted for a while due to not wanting to bore any one with daily updates so heres how we've gone on since then.Ruby was responding instantly to me at 2.1 and was ready to go free, due to liams exam work he wasn't able to come out with me as much then when he did ruby refused to fly to us no matter what she was still on the creonce at this stage.We had to drop her weight down to 1.14 to finally get her to respond when i was not alone.

Anyway all is well now ruby is a superb hawk shes been flying free for a good few weeks now, she follows on forever and responds instantly its like going out with a labrodor, speaking of dogs they dont bother her one bit and she will fly to anyone.

Rubys hunting at 2.2 and getting better everyday, at one stage i was honestly going to jack it all in she was that awkward :wallbash: so glad i didn't as it shows if you stick at it you get there in the end :toast: , heres a few pics. regards mark and liam.

PICT0336.jpg

PICT0333.jpg

PICT0375.jpg

PICT0326-1.jpg

PICT0395.jpg

PICT0389.jpg

PICT0401.jpg

PICT0397.jpg

PICT0380.jpg

Edited by gilly-93
  • 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone who has read and commented on our thread and hope it has been a usefull insight into starting off with a bird of prey, it has served its purpose if it has encouraged the really keen, and put off the people who are really kidding themselves about owning and training one of these superb hawks.

As for ruby she is flying and hunting everyday, she does everything you could ask of her and more and is pleasure to be with. :clapper: regards dad and liam.

• 1 month later...

Rubys been down for the moult for about 4 weeks now,she had started to drop some downy feathers and and was looking a bit battered from crashing through brambles,on her last outing she flew her heart out so we ended the season on a high.

She comes in the house every day to watch telly and is as happy as larry, shes dropped a load of feathers and is being fed on a varied diet of "fresh quail" rat a few doc's and rabbit and is holding a steady weight at 2.9ish, thats about all....roll on the new season we dont half miss flying her. yours in sport; dad, liam, ruby. :clapper:

02-1.jpg

01.jpg

PICT0491.jpg

PICT0457.jpg

PICT0483.jpg

PICT0493.jpg

PICT0510.jpg

PICT0524.jpg

PICT0525.jpg

Edited by gilly-93
  • Like 1

Rubys been down for the moult for about 4 weeks now,she had started to drop some downy feathers and and was looking a bit battered from crashing through brambles,on her last outing she flew her heart out so we ended the season on a high.

She comes in the house every day to watch telly and is as happy as larry, shes dropped a load of feathers and is being fed on a varied diet of "fresh quail" rat a few doc's and rabbit and is holding a steady weight at 2.9ish, thats about all....roll on the new season we dont half miss flying her. yours in sport; dad, liam, ruby. :clapper:

02-1.jpg

01.jpg

PICT0491.jpg

PICT0457.jpg

PICT0483.jpg

PICT0493.jpg

PICT0510.jpg

PICT0524.jpg

PICT0525.jpg

doing well mate.like that goatie and tash lol.looking forward to that A,I course.cya at weekend