My First Hawk...

gilly-93

Hi Mark and Liam,

I was confident yesterday when i sold the bird to you, knowing that it was going to good hands.You are both very keen and from the posts on this thread everyone seems to give you backing. It's nice to meet two people that are giving so much time and passion to the sport. Will keep following you both for your updates.

Davey :clapper:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your a very lucky young man to have the back up and support at home with the bird. Your mews are first class and a credit to you, your enthusiasm is also spot on, and you have a lovely bird to work wi

Stella hit a small fence hidden in some tall grass while chasing a rabbit thats all i wish to say,after talking things over with dad and a great many tears we have decided not to pack in with the hawk

Starting a thread to keep track of the progress with my first hawk. After reading up on Harris Hawks for more or less a year i decided to take the plunge. Built the mews and weathering aprox 2-3 weeks

Posted Images

Hi Mark and Liam,

I was confident yesterday when i sold the bird to you, knowing that it was going to good hands.You are both very keen and from the posts on this thread everyone seems to give you backing. It's nice to meet two people that are giving so much time and passion to the sport. Will keep following you both for your updates.

Your birds are a credit to you Davey. What weight did that female fly at?

Hi Mark and Liam,

must be very reassuring for you to know that your bird is in good hands,i myself never really been into falconry but young liam's thread would be the first i went to.As i said in an earlier thread it must be such a lift to know your sport will never die with the likes off liam involved :clapper::clapper:

Hi dave, she's absolutley fine and feeding of the glove no problem, she's cropped up at 2.8....... 2.5 3/4 when we got back from yours were just watching the Formula 1. Regards Mark & Liam.

PICT0177.jpg

PICT0178.jpg

eyup mark liam dont come on this much.bird looks great cant wait for her to get going.you did a great job of the last one.cya soon mate.andy

If the mother is anything to go by she's going to be a hell of a sized bird. Well done mate,she looks a cracker. Good luck with her. Keep us updated how she's getting on. You and your dad will make a good hawk out of her. :clapper:

hi mark and liam nice looking bird bud.

regards pete and luke.

Thanks for all your comments lads, i suppose the posts we put on will be very similar to stellas but im sure it will make interesting reading, already we have noticed big differences between Stella and the hawk with no name ( dad says Autumn) hmmmmm :( anyway we've justed bedded her down for the night, luke ask your dad for a shovel , dad fancys digging a rabbit out of a hole :D regards Liam.

liam my dad says hes hiring a jcb next time mark decides to dig a rabbit out lol

If the mother is anything to go by she's going to be a hell of a sized bird. Well done mate,she looks a cracker. Good luck with her. Keep us updated how she's getting on. You and your dad will make a good hawk out of her. :clapper:

hi mark and liam nice looking bird bud.

regards pete and luke.

Thanks for all your comments lads, i suppose the posts we put on will be very similar to stellas but im sure it will make interesting reading, already we have noticed big differences between Stella and the hawk with no name ( dad says Autumn) hmmmmm :( anyway we've justed bedded her down for the night, luke ask your dad for a shovel , dad fancys digging a rabbit out of a hole :D regards Liam.

liam my dad says hes hiring a jcb next time mark decides to dig a rabbit out lol

nice looking bird mark,liam, we will have to get her out walking around bawtry.

regards pete & luke

Hi Mark and Liam,

Your birds are a credit to you Davey. What weight did that female fly at?

She flies at 2lb 2 oz and i can tell you, if yours is anything like her mother then you will have an excellent season. She's quite capable of taking hare. But don't put her to hare until her second seaon becasue it could spoil her.

Hi to all, not posted for a while but can now give an update on 'ruby'our second harris hawk.When we got home from daveys in northumberland all was well she settled well and the following day she ate from the glove no problem, great we thought this is going to be easy, how wrong we were!!!!!! on the monday you could not get near her, very aggresive wings out, footing like crazy the full works... this went on for a week, would not eat and she started to turn her back on us... dad stopped working and spent hours just being with her, taking her for long walks, talking to her etc.. still very nervous but getting a bit better.Ruby started to take a little from the glove at the begining of last week and was settling well.. dad decided to try her doing a little step off the perch to the glove which she did took a few bites then refused to do anything at all, the week progressed up untill dad got her to fly to him about 5feet but again she took a couple of bites then would not do any thing else. Dad said a 'fluffy buzzard' wern't getting the better of him and there was only going to be one winner... he spent the whole weekend with her, sunday night dad said "she'll change tomorrow".. monday came and i went to school,got home at 3.30 to see ruby a different bird, flying to the glove at any distance on the creance and eating well. That was yesterday, today she hits the glove every time and is eager to please.

So what have we learnt from this,all hawks are not the same.. stella at this stage was ready to fly free,dont give up however hard it gets,the rewards are superb... if ruby had been our first hawk dad says he would have got shut, now we understand why so many get put up for sale.. at times it can be soul destroying, all that aside ruby is a lovley bird and atlast coming on stonger everyday. its taken alot to get ruby to this stage but worth every second.regards liam and dad.

Edited by gilly-93
  • Like 1