My First Hawk...

gilly-93

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your a very lucky young man to have the back up and support at home with the bird. Your mews are first class and a credit to you, your enthusiasm is also spot on, and you have a lovely bird to work wi

Stella hit a small fence hidden in some tall grass while chasing a rabbit thats all i wish to say,after talking things over with dad and a great many tears we have decided not to pack in with the hawk

Starting a thread to keep track of the progress with my first hawk. After reading up on Harris Hawks for more or less a year i decided to take the plunge. Built the mews and weathering aprox 2-3 weeks

Posted Images

YOU are exactly what fieldsports are all about friend, your desire and passion for what you are doing is obvious, you are lucky to have a dad that has "been around the block" a few times ( i'm sure he wont mind that comment, us of the same age group are in a similar position), stick to it, get your young bird and pour all you have learned with Stella into this new bird. She can never and will never be Stella, but you can mould her the same you moulded Stella, and you will only improve with time and as your experience grows.

People like you are the future of ALL fieldsports, even though it's early days for you yet, you owe it now to the generations that will follow in your footseps to carry on, you will be someone else's mentor in years to come i'm sure.

Keep at it mate and all the very best for the future. Keep us posted on your progress, for, rest assured, there will be plenty for you to tell us.

Bootsha ;)

• Like 1

As somebody who's never been into falconry,let me just say that this thread was probably one of the most interesting i've read! :clapper: I'm a dog man myself but this thread would be the first one i would look for,Liam your a credit to your sport and i for one commend you on your dedication and drive.Your dad must be so proud of you,please dont let this setback dull your enthusiasum,keep your chin up young fella.Hope your new bird brings you the pleasure that you deserve,look forward to reading his/her progress.RIP Stella!!atb JB

Yes Mark, drove up Northumberland this morning to pick her up. About 120 miles, we eventualy found it (Dad gets lost going to shop :laugh:) Really nice couple, he had already pulled her, put some anklets on and jessed her up. Had a brew then went to look at the parents, never seen a female as big even through he says hes seen bigger birds. Both mum and dad were in superb condition and really good lookers. Back to the garage to bring her out, she screamed a little but it is expected. Put her in the travel box in the back of the truck and set off back down home. Took her out of her box with no problem and into the mews. 2 minutes screaming then calmed down and sat on the glove nicely. Weighed in at 2 Pound 5, 3/4. She is a superb looking bird with a brilliant temprement. After a hour dad washed her feet in walm water with no problems what so ever, after 2 hours you can do anything with her its unreal :blink: From touching her feet to stroking her beak.

Heres a few pics... P.S Theres alot of fireworks going off so shes in the house watching Fools & Horses :D

Breeders:

daysout022.jpg

daysout024.jpg

daysout025.jpg

nits091.jpg

nits092.jpg

nits093.jpg

Mews:

PICT0123.jpg

PICT0124.jpg

PICT0126.jpg

PICT0134.jpg

PICT0144.jpg

PICT0146.jpg

PICT0153.jpg

PICT0147.jpg

• Like 2
Yes Mark, drove up Northumberland this morning to pick her up. About 120 miles, we eventualy found it (Dad gets lost going to shop :laugh:) Really nice couple, he had already pulled her, put some anklets on and jessed her up. Had a brew then went to look at the parents, never seen a female as big even through he says hes seen bigger birds. Both mum and dad were in superb condition and really good lookers. Back to the garage to bring her out, she screamed a little but it is expected. Put her in the travel box in the back of the truck and set off back down home. Took her out of her box with no problem and into the mews. 2 minutes screaming then calmed down and sat on the glove nicely. Weighed in at 2 Pound 5, 3/4. She is a superb looking bird with a brilliant temprement. After a hour dad washed her feet in walm water with no problems what so ever, after 2 hours you can do anything with her its unreal :blink: From touching her feet to stroking her beak.

Heres a few pics... P.S Theres alot of fireworks going off so shes in the house watching Fools & Horses :D

Breeders:

daysout022.jpg

daysout024.jpg

daysout025.jpg

nits091.jpg

nits092.jpg

nits093.jpg

Mews:

PICT0123.jpg

PICT0124.jpg

PICT0126.jpg

PICT0134.jpg

PICT0144.jpg

PICT0146.jpg

PICT0153.jpg

PICT0147.jpg

well done young fella thats the spirit :clapper: straight back in to it,keep the threads coming atb JB

If the mother is anything to go by she's going to be a hell of a sized bird. Well done mate,she looks a cracker. Good luck with her. Keep us updated how she's getting on. You and your dad will make a good hawk out of her. :clapper:

hi mark and liam nice looking bird bud.

regards pete and luke.

If the mother is anything to go by she's going to be a hell of a sized bird. Well done mate,she looks a cracker. Good luck with her. Keep us updated how she's getting on. You and your dad will make a good hawk out of her. :clapper:

regards pete and luke.

Lol not my bird mate,going by the photos

regards pete and luke.

Thanks for all your comments lads, i suppose the posts we put on will be very similar to stellas but im sure it will make interesting reading, already we have noticed big differences between Stella and the hawk with no name ( dad says Autumn) hmmmmm :( anyway we've justed bedded her down for the night, luke ask your dad for a shovel , dad fancys digging a rabbit out of a hole :D regards Liam.