Pigeons at 50 yards with a 22

Hello!

Okay, after some practice I can put pellet on pellet at 40 yards with my AirArms S510 in .22, but at 50 yards the groups gets wider, only by half an inch or so. I tend to keep keep all my rabbit shooting within 40 yards for ethical reasons, but what about pigeon?

If it's too far to maybe risk a head shot, would an upper body shot do? A 22 pellet packs a fair bit of knockdown power so maybe a heart/lung shot would still zapp it.

Body shots on pigeon with a .22?

Alrightee ;)

Only you know how good you are and at what ranges you can shoot. i have dropped plenty with chest shots but the shot obviouslt has to be in the right place and able to penetrate. i try and take shots side on to avoid the crop. Next time you shoot one disect it so you can see exactly where the heart and lungs sit in the body. Happy hunting :thumbs:

Edited by Tyla

If you really desire taking a pigeon at 50 yards then still aim at the head, because as far as I see it if you hit it in the head it means a kill, hit it in the neck means a kill, if you miss it then oh well at least it isn't going to fly off with a lump of lead in its chest to die a slow and painful death later on.

But if you can't get good enough accuracy for taking quarry at 50 yards then either don't take the shot or stalk closer until you're at a point where you know your accuracy is fine; if it flies off before you get there then what can you do? As Aaron said, "Quarry first!"

Its really up to you mate if you feel confident enough go for it but you only have yourself to blame if you injure it and not killing it first time. i know for a fact that i can hit the center of the center of the O of a strongbow can at 50 yards but i would never try it on a real pigeon.

Richard

Its really up to you mate if you feel confident enough go for it but you only have yourself to blame if you injure it and not killing it first time. i know for a fact that i can hit the center of the center of the O of a strongbow can at 50 yards but i would never try it on a real pigeon.

Richard

I'll keep it within 40 yards ;)

With a 12ft lb, 50 yards is always going to be on or past the limits of power, shooter, conditions, quarry.

Most .22lr at between 100-200ft lb are zeroed at 50-60 yards.

Best get as close as you can or move up the calibres!

With a 12ft lb, 50 yards is always going to be on or past the limits of power, shooter, conditions, quarry.

Most .22lr at between 100-200ft lb are zeroed at 50-60 yards.

Best get as close as you can or move up the calibres!

I brought the Air Rifle to use around the stables so I guess 50 yards is not really an option. After a little sport yeserday I realised most of my shooting will be done between 20-30 yards and not 50.