New Law On Lamping??

Just off the phone to one of my old lamping mates, last night. He'd been talking to some of the big-wigs from SACS (Scottish Association of Country Sports).

According to them, there's the distinct chance of a law being brought in to govern "night shooting".

In no patricular order the highlights are

1, Written permission and firearm certs must be carried at all times when out,

2, Only foxes can be shot,

3, Police must be notified the time you begin and when you finish,

4, Police must be told of the vehicle, reg number and persons "night shooting",

5, Guns, calibres and serial numbers to be notified to police.

Some of it seems good practice, but unless you do all the above, guns, vehicles, and all will be confiscated.

The reason? Apparently to free police resources! Seemingly, the police are getting pee'd off at recieving calls during the night along the lines of "i've just heard a gunshot outside my house" kind of thing. Prompting swat teams, helicopters etc!

Personally i think it's a load of cr@p, not to mention unworkable, and i for one am against it.

Any of you guys heard of this and what's your opinion?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think its common sense to inform the local plod,before I go shooting, when and were, I will be and then phone them again when I have left the area.

I dont consider it,any of the police's business to inform them who is with me or what guns calibres and serial numbers etc...

What about using Night vision ????

Edited by akton

What about the Only foxes to be shot bit? So they're thinking of outlawing shooting rabbits with a gun at night? Will that apply to air guns too? ..and if so, how long will it be before they ban using a dog to catch them at night?

Guest hyperion

more trouble than its worth!

the only two times weve called the police to let them know we are going lamping and to get a whats name number we were told not to bother next time! :wallbash:

cheers

hyperion

It sounds like another major invasion of privacy to me. Name one other sport or legal activity where you must first notify the Police as a matter of course. I doubt there will be too many...

theres not that many sports where you can kill somebody in 3/10ths of a second at 200 yards. informing the police where you are shooting and carry permission slips is not too much of a problem really is it?

however they are taking it too far with serial numbers, who you are with and what quarry can be shot :thumbdown:

This does not sound very good does it!!!

The more information you give it seems the more they want!! , and there is still no guarantee they wont turn up!!!

Its funny when you do all the right things as in telling the land owner that you plan to go out lamping bunnies / Fox , then someone hears a shot and are worried so phone the police , the police take details as in area they are talking about!!

Now the police and their computer system which should be telling them who is the land owner with address and probably phone number too!!

So why on earth dont they phone the land owner who would tell them " yes i know someone is shooting on my land , and they have phoned me to say they are night shooting on my land - so everything is fine "

Saves alot of problems really , the only thing is one upset farmer if they phone in the early morning!!!

To me this is starting to get out of hand and it will only become law if we allow it!!!

I have myself even phoned the police when lamping in a area which i think that i may have some sensitivity toward shooting , all they need to know is who you are and the land on which you will be shooting over - end of!!!

Sorry about the rant but if we are not careful , we will be dictated to next of what time during the day of when we can and cannot shoot!!

All the best...................

RAY...........................................

Edited by varminter

Nothing above would indemnify any police authority from responding to a call out, the police would still have to turn up and investigate. Okay they may not turn up in force but they should not turn up in force anyway, common sense should prevail. For example, a call placed to the police states ' A man is walking across the field with a big torch and gun shooting rabbits! ', I ask you what the hell do the police thing is happening, a midnight raid on the bank of Rabbit wonger. It would however make the police job easier, for example lets say that we have conformed to the above. Unknown to us, someone was shooting sheep on the next farm over or even the tenth farm over, the very same night that we were lamping, who do you think the police will be investigating? Same goes for any damage done, even if it's two miles down the road! Most of the above has come from "good practice" which are always turned in to "common practice" which in turn become the very foundation of legislation.

I can not see anything changing in law for a long long time but if it happens we have only ourselves to blame.

John

Edited by HUnter_zero

Nothing above would indemnify any police authority from responding to a call out, the police would still have to turn up and investigate. Okay they may not turn up in force but they should not turn up in force anyway, common sense should prevail. For example, a call placed to the police states ' A man is walking across the field with a big torch and gun shooting rabbits! ', I ask you what the hell do the police thing is happening, a midnight raid on the bank of Rabbit wonger. It would however make the police job easier, for example lets say that we have conformed to the above. Unknown to us, someone was shooting sheep on the next farm over or even the tenth farm over, the very same night that we were lamping, who do you think the police will be investigating? Same goes for any damage done, even if it's two miles down the road! Most of the above has come from "good practice" which are always turned in to "common practice" which in turn become the very foundation of legislation.

I can not see anything changing in law for a long long time but if it happens we have only ourselves to blame.

John

Remember SACS main area of operation is in Scotland where the present govt make laws just for the sake of doing it dont rule this out & do reply to any consultations YIS

The more information you give it seems the more they want!! , and there is still no guarantee they wont turn up!!!

Its funny when you do all the right things as in telling the land owner that you plan to go out lamping bunnies / Fox , then someone hears a shot and are worried so phone the police , the police take details as in area they are talking about!!

Now the police and their computer system which should be telling them who is the land owner with address and probably phone number too!!

So why on earth dont they phone the land owner who would tell them " yes i know someone is shooting on my land , and they have phoned me to say they are night shooting on my land - so everything is fine "Saves alot of problems really , the only thing is one upset farmer if they phone in the early morning!!!

To me this is starting to get out of hand and it will only become law if we allow it!!!

I have myself even phoned the police when lamping in a area which i think that i may have some sensitivity toward shooting , all they need to know is who you are and the land on which you will be shooting over - end of!!!

Sorry about the rant but if we are not careful , we will be dictated to next of what time during the day of when we can and cannot shoot!!

To be honest that would be even worse. I don't know many farmers that a) want the police knowing their buisiness, and B) appreciate midnight calls just to confirm there isn't a problem.

Farmers don't want issues like that and would lead to the loss of shooting rights, so the police would probably be very happy to take that option up ;);)

Edited by cyclonebri1

no i don't think it sounds good. try calling the police and ask them what they think.all of you preferably tomorrow night at say 8 o clock?

these things lead to no good.one thing to another.

as mentioned in another reply the police will have to come out anyway so whats the point? another start on the rights we have to protect, what do the basc have to say?

i try to inform the land owner when i'm out so he doesn't think it may be someone else.

So why on earth dont they phone the land owner who would tell them " yes i know someone is shooting on my land , and they have phoned me to say they are night shooting on my land - so everything is fine "Saves alot of problems really , the only thing is one upset farmer if they phone in the early morning!!!

To be honest that would be even worse. I don't know many farmers that a) want the police knowing their buisiness, and B) appreciate midnight calls just to confirm there isn't a problem.

Farmers don't want issues like that and would lead to the loss of shooting rights, so the police would probably be very happy to take that option up ;);)

Totally understand your comment buddy and agree about how farmers feel!!!! ;) ;)

What i am trying to get at is that you have informed the land owner and have every legal right to be out there lamping!!

But heres the thing , if you choose to notify the police , all they need to know is your name and where you will be shooting too!!!

notifying them of the time scale is all well and good , but as i was told from the police centre from my area , there are still no guaranties they still wont turn up!!!

I think this is a very tricky subject with some rights and some wrongs , but just make sure your rights don't get taken away by legislation!!

At the end of the day , all we are trying to do is a wildlife management service to the landowners!!

All the best..................

RAY................................

Edited by varminter