Pcp vs good springer

As i have explained in another topic, im looking to buy an air rifle soon and have been considering different pcps such as the rapid mk1, s410 and hw100. Im probably still going to go down this route, however iv been considering a nice springer, probably a pro sport. I was just wondering your opinions. How does a good springer like the prosport compare to a good pcp like the s410? Is the accuracy very different or does it really only suffer beond 30 or 40 yards?

Cheers.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you thought about getting a springer and putting a gas ram in? In my opinion there are pros's and cons's of having both springer and pcp, the pcp are quieter but then you have the hassle of refilling them, springers can have more recoil but you dont need to fill them up. I am in a similar situation to yourself and I have decided to get a good springer gun (Ive been looking at Thoeben) and then fitting a gas ram. For me this is the best option.

ATB

Never found there to be a difference in distance with a springer or PCP, its a pesonal preference, PCP costs more to live with and is a little easier to shoot with, but before I bought my first PCP I dont think I was ever at a disadvantage against mate with PCP's, so its up to you which you choose, I still have a springer for plinking because it never runs out of air, if you fancy a springer then get one, if you fancy a change later on, part ex it for a PCP, your call ;)

I have used springers for years before I got my first PCP. Would I go back to using a springer???? No bloody chance. When I went to the THL meet there were a few springers about as well and I can still shoot with one more or less. But its a no contest and the PCP is for me in a different league.

I think that after the meet we are going to have one member that has always held up the flag for springers coming away from the dark side and get a AA410.

ATB

Michael

I was at the above mentioned meet with my AA TX200 (My rapid was broken) and i have to say i didn't feel i was at a disadvantage, after all i was still hitting the Magners can at 73 yards from a STANDING position...!!

The only down fall with a springer is the fact you cant fit a bipod and they are single shot. If you find a good well serviced and loved springer it will last a lifetime with only the mimimum of attention. PCP's on the other hand are a differant kettle of fish.

Dont get me wrong, i'm not saying PCP's are bad coz i shoot my Rapid alot more than the TX but when things go wrong they go wrong big time but you can always fall back on the reliable springer.

I also find that if i shoot well with the TX it's alot more satisfying than a PCP.

Hope that helps

i was in the same predicament about 1 year ago springer or pcp i went springer and bought a new pro sport and mate ive never looked back the PS is as quiet (even quieter if you add a silencer) as a pcp and drop rabbits at 40meters with no problems at all the only down side is the weight however you get use to that the PS in my opinion its 1 of the best springers out there without the hassel of having to keep filling it up after every 40-80 pellets ,,, and dont believe it if anyone says you cant add a silencer (thats wht i got told from the shop) but its bollocks cos i have fitted 1 ....

if you want my advice go for the pro sport

cheers gary

Must admit, I own both a springer and a PCP.

I've not owned a PCP long enough for it to malfunction yet, the only down side I can see is that its a pain in the butt, pumping the buggers up!

However, a diving bottle makes life so much easier with these :yes:

My springer is easy to charge, and running at a higher power than my pcp. Its more of a challenge to shoot especially prone but they are as accurate as each other in my hands.

The PCP seems to be the way to go though if you want to shoot at greater distances as lack of recoil helps maintain accuracy.

I have taken a bunny with a brain shot standing from 30yards with a springer, and I've dropped bunnies from further using a pcp.

So if you want to feel recoil, then Spring power is the way to go, if you want it easier to shoot consistently, go for pcp :)

Phantom

i owned my lighting xl for a while and i though it was an accurate gun getting 1 inch groups at 20 yrds. but now i've baught my s400 my lighting is reserved for when my freinds come round and want to shoot tin cans! i can get 0.5" groups at 35 yrds with my s400!!!! only one downside is having to fill it up all the time. go for a pcp mate!

I own both and my advice would be this.....

If you can't make up your mind which to have, then get a springer. Fuss free functionality and no huge difference in performance (yes, I know people will disagree with the last bit there, but no-one will disagree with the fact that a good man will kill more with a springer than an eejit with a PCP).

Here's my summary on different areas;

Accuracy - PCP more accurate mainly due to lack of recoil. At 30 yards I can group 5 pellets on a PCP to about 0.5" group, with a springer its a shade under 1" (lets face it, that doesn't matter a dot when shooting quarry)

Power - Contentious one here. Springer is fairly consistent whereas certain PCPs can shoot a tad under power when filled to full and run to low

Convenience - Springer wins hands down although the PCP carrys a lot of weight with the multishot possibilty

Quietness - PCP rules here, no mecanical niose when shooting

I know it sounds like I'm fighting for the springers corner here, but I own both and I would never get rid of either

i find a good springer is alot more fun the hw 97k has tremendous stopping power and always consistant so i like to use that down the farm during the day time.

however pcp say aas410 is much less fiddly when lamping with the multishot meaning no messin with reloading in the dark plus you tend to get more shots away at night so very useful

and just for the lamping fact if i could only have 1 it would be a good pcp its only the initial set up that costs alot really

iv got an aas410 .22 and its awsome :gunsmilie: ! my old man has a hw77 .22 thats a great gun 2, would rather my s410 anyday tho lol.

my mate had a theoben evolution .20 but he has just bought a falcon prarie and said he would never go back to a springer or gas ram! so i reckon pcp's are definatly the way forward!

atb zak

There is always this shot count thing coming up as a downside for the PCP. Folks this is an urban myth. Say you go out for some bunnys. I get about 50 odd consistent shots out of my gun before I have to refill it. Worst case scenario, I would have to drag 40 wabbits back to the car before I would have to refill my rifle. Not many of us get that much with either springer or PCP in one session. Plinking ??? Ok . While on the meet, we had an extensive plinking session and I had to fill my gun 3 times. Ok, this involved 2 minutes behind the van with davy. Andy whas usng a springer and had blisters form cocking his gun on his hand. I just had black fingers form the pellets ( nat Davy)

So in my book its a non contest either way you look at it.

ATB

Michael