Painting Plastic 'Buckets' ?

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Guest Ditch_Shitter

'Buckets'. World known and used for making quick, light, convieniant and cheap sets in. But the ones available to me are black. Obviously, I'd like them 'cammo'. I do a perfectly fair cammo on my stuff, when I choose to. But I'm yet to find a paint that'll adhere well to plastic, then not just peel and flake off again in relatively short order. It's not for the targets, obviously. It's to keep them from human interferance.

I've been toying with the idea of painting on PVA adhesive (white, wood glue) and then chucking sharp sand at that. Paint the sand coating. Just not sure how the PVA would stand the test of time.

Anyone been there. Done it. Found a reliable method, please?

:signthankspin:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sandpaper, spraypaint, then use clear coat spray paint to give it a hard finish. Otherwise it just rubs off.

Posted Images

Guest Ditch_Shitter

No idea, Ricky. I last used a few various 'pot' paints, simply because creating 'Cammo' with spray is a bitch.

However, not one to stand on ceremony, I shall - right now - away to my room and hit a bucket with some spray paint and see what happens.

Only problem is, of course, what ever happens now may have absoluteley no bearing on what'll then maybe happen in a weeks time. Subjected to UV, moisture, wind, dryness, impacts etc. paint can throw up all sorts of anomalys we never bargained for :(

Still, darkened 'Racing Green' all over would still be better that 'Creosote Black' all over. I'll begin my further experimentations right now :good:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:no: Spray paint lasted about as long as it took me to move my thumb nail to within a hundred yards of it, Ricky.

Roughening up the surface sounds like a posibility. True. But then, when all's said and done, plastic will always remain plastic. On top. Underneath or in the middle. Paint just doesn't seem to stick to that stuff :(

Jake: I think you may well have cracked it, mate! :good: Like, ok, I'm sure that 'Real Tree' type cammo tape must cost a relative fortune? I'll need quite a lot of it. But then, who says cans of spray paint and my own time aren't valuable too?

Further more, as anyone knows who's tried to soak and scratch and get a stuck on label off a plastic container; For some unearthly reason; Sticky stuff sticks like sh*t to a blanket on plastic!

Gentlemen: Deben's and the Bay! :clapper:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

And What would I stick the stuff on with, Ricky ....? :laugh:

No. I'll go with the tape, mate. The clients will cover my costs ;)

Anyway, that sh*ts virtually 'indestructable' and will save me weeks of preperation to start with. Initial out lay may seem a bit much, but then I'll have top quality products to last me a life time :good:

Just get finished here and I'm off to find some. Soon as my new 'Plastic' gets here I'll buy a load. Ecpect to see results here in due course :)

And What would I stick the stuff on with, Ricky ....? :laugh:

No. I'll go with the tape, mate. The clients will cover my costs ;)

Anyway, that sh*ts virtually 'indestructable' and will save me weeks of preperation to start with. Initial out lay may seem a bit much, but then I'll have top quality products to last me a life time :good:

Just get finished here and I'm off to find some. Soon as my new 'Plastic' gets here I'll buy a load. Ecpect to see results here in due course :)

Glue ? :thumbs-up:

5 ltr cammo bait bucket on ebay cheap as chips mate !

:rocker:

Edited by Ricky-N.p.p

ds get some fine/medium grain sand paper m3 ish and as said give them a good rub to key the surface........itl give the paint somthing to grip on to ...thats why it comes off as the surface of the buckets hasa almost mirrow finnish and no key.it will work

i use a white ex rat bait bucket for carrying about most of my trapping gear , sanded down and sprayed with matt black paint , its due for a respray after about 6 years, i don,t think the cammo tape will last long in wet conditions, i also have a 25ltr bucket i sit on for decoying , just splashed different coloured paints allover it and hardly any has pealed off

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:good: Thanks for all the input, lads. I Love the RT ones, Ricky but, without wishing to seem pedantic, I'd prefer square ones. Black ones, freely available to me, are square.

Ok, lads. Well the guy doing the dirt cheap RT tape on the Bay says he doesn't ship to Eire. I've asked him. If he still f***s me off, I'll be wyling away my evenings rubbing buckets and doing it myself ;)

Guest Bodach

Tried all methods to paint buckets for sitting on while wildfowling, gave up and just tied some camo netting round it. One thing I got for the bucket was a swivel seat top from all sports in bolton I think? Great you can swivel round even when sitting on your coat tail.

B

Feck me -This is surely the long way around trapping a mink .They are the most trap obliging creatures ever to be labelled vermin .Put that cage trap inside 4 pallets tied together.One pallet on top will stop anything from getting at the trap .Sort yourself out D.S.Fish for bait ,the smellier the better.Hope to see a pic of a dead mink soon . :cry::cry: :sick: