Firearms Licensing Departments

Hi Folks.

We all know that each Police force operates differently when it comes to Firearms Licensing, so I thought I'd put up this thread so that we can share our experiences of different ones. It doesn't have to be a long post just a brief description of your experience and whether it was on the whole good or bad or indifferent.

I'll list all of the Police forces and if you can start your posts off with which one you are describing we may be able to build up a picture of just how much difference there is nationally, when really, they should all be the same.

Police Forces are as follows;

Metropolitan, Cumbria, Merseyside, Greater Manchester, Cheshire, Northumbria, Durham, North Yorks, West Yorks, South Yorks, Humberside, Cleveland, West Midlands,

Staffordshire, West Mercia, Warwickshire, Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire, Leicestershire, Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, Suffolk, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire,

Essex, Thames Valley, Hampshire, Surrey, Kent, City of London, Devon & Cornwall, Avon & Somerset, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Dorset, Lancashire, Derbyshire, Sussex,

Gwent, North Wales, Dyfed-Powys, South Wales, Dumfries & Galloway, Strathclyde, Lothian & Borders, Grampian, Central Scotland, Northern Constabulary, Tayside, PSNI,

Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a clever idea SS!

Strathclyde

I have had only one experince with them and it was a good one, I got my first SGC when 14 and all went well. They have been very helpful when I have made enquireys about a FAC ect. SGC application went through quickly and I recived my SGC through the post about 3 weeks later :)

All The Best

Edited by cunninghamb

Greater Manchester, very good, fast turnaround, polite and knowledgeable.

Cheshire, not so good, when I moved the FLO lost my replacement licence, very awkward when I applied for Deer permission, not knowledgeable regarding Land/calibres.

I now have a new firearms enq officer who thankfully seems a little better educated.

The two in my experience are chalk and cheese.

Edited by provarmint

I'm with South Wales Police.

On the whole they are pretty good and will try and turn things around as best as they can. I seem to remember my first FAC taking 5 weeks from sending it off to having it in my hand.

One FEO is very understanding and will listen to reason, the other that I have met is not so good and can be a stubborn unhelpful man. The third I haven't had the pleasure of meeting yet.

They are normally polite when you speak to them and have a pretty well staffed department there, I'd have no real quorums if it were not for that certain FEO ;)

Tayside have always been ok with Me, I have everything I want. I have mentored a few shooters as well, and they always take you opinion on board with decisions. Usually a quick turnaround.

My first tickets were issued in Cambs...they were ok too. but that was years ago.. :rolleyes:

South Wales Police

I applied for FAC and SGC with South Wales Police the visit was arranged in two weeks, ticket was in my hand within four weeks all calibers I applied for were granted. Also the staff in the office are helpful. :clapper:. Who is the FEO you had a bad experience with SS?

Edited by 20alex09
South Wales Police

I applied for FAC and SGC with South Wales Police the visit was arranged in two weeks, ticket was in my hand within four weeks all calibers I applied for were granted. Also the staff in the office are helpful. :clapper:. Who is the FEO you had a bad experience with SS?

I won't say on here pal, just my opinion of the man :thumbs:

I live in the Avon & Somerset area,and,I have had varying results from them,but,generally they are pretty good,and,when they play up I just get S.A.C.S. to have a little word with them,and,it is all sorted out...........Martin.

Warwickshire

No problems what so ever, for example, I didn't get my variation through for my .17, went to collect my new rifle like a twat to be told "you dont have it on your ticket". I rang warwickshire Police - Firearms Dept and asked what could be done. The fella said "can you pop in today?", "yes" I replied. So I drove about 25 minutes to the Police HQ, where my ticket was altered to accomodate the purchase of my .17 and all within 30 minutes and with no fee to pay!!

They have been nothing very good to me.

Edited by Spangle

Im with South Wales and i thought it was a joke it took just over 3 months to grant my FAC & SGC, 1 of my mates and i sent are application on the same day he had his from the day he sent off to his door was 1 week and 5 days. Then 2 of my mates sent there forms off whilst my applications were being granted and they both recieved them in 3 weeks before i recieved mine and when i recieved mine another 2 of my mates recieved them the same week and the one was 5 days from the day he sent it to the day he recieved, and the other i think was about 1 and a half months or 2 months and he had the same firearms officer as me but my other mates had different ones.

When i finaly recieved my FAC & SGC i was missing two moderators so i had to put in a variation for them again so i added a 17hmr+mod, to increase my hold and buy for my .22 to 1000 buy 1200 hold and a 308+mod(for range use) i was then told they dont allow moderators for range use as i wanted one to reduce felt recoil so the FAO advised a .243 instead of a .308 so i said ok as i reload and can use fmj, i then recieved a phone call saying i can have the moderators for my .22 and 223 and the vermin condition but they would not grant the 17hmr+mod or the .243 as i was not established with my rifles?!?! at this time i had been a member of a club for a year.

When i recieved my variation about a month and a half later i still had 500 buy and 600 hold on my .22 and i was mentored for my .22 when the FAO said i wouldnt be so i dont rate them very highly from my experience with them.

Derbyshire, dealt with them for over 40 years without a single problem, all (must have been about 8) FEO's have been sound and straightforward, present ones abit full of himself but you just have to treat him the right way. Always quick with ticket renewals, variations and land inspections.

Only problem I had that after an enforced 5 year lay off from shooting, when I came to renew they had lost all records of me ever having owned a shotgun or rifle. :censored: . It wasn't a problem, I still had reciepts for many guns over the years and this was accepted and I got my open ticket back :clapper:

Edited by cyclonebri1