Beddlington X grooming..do you clipper or strip the coat ?

Guest vin

hello lads.

my dogs coming on a treat now...she,s just about ready for the new season..

this is probably a daft question,but how do you lot deal with the fur..do you clipper yours or hand strip the fur.?

i dont want to clipper mine and her ending up looking like a twat..she,s got cat like fur all long and whispey..not as tight as a full bedlington,almost like a long haired deerhound...

at least she,s got all her fur back now and you cant tell what a mess she was before i got her.(long story)

what do you lot think i should do ?

im tempted to clipper the lot off and start again...but rather have a bit of expert opinion 1st.

p.s.

had her 1st catch couple of nights ago.... dropped it 3 times ... but small steps etc etc.

not bad for a rescue eh !

post-11815-1251728742.jpg

atb

vin

Edited by vin

thanks lads ,n lasses.

im gonna hand strip her..and get the scissors out.. she,ll be like a new dog when ive finished..she already looks 5 years younger,and the breath is a fresh as daiseys now she,s been back to the vets for a second dental and had a couple of bad uns removed..she look like a happier dog in herself now..

she must av been in agony with the minging mouth she had...it was like a sewer.you could smell her breath a mile away..poor bugger.

she almost ready to be a lurcher now.

looking forward to a few good nights this season...just need a bit of permission now.

thanks again all

atb

vin

Sounds like that is one lucky dog now. Well done for giving it a better life. I find the coat on my rough haired dog sheds heavily a few times every year, it really just comes out with very little pulling and a good brisk brush over the space of a week or so, the dog loves the extra brushing and hands-on attention . I think the rougher coat saves the skin a bit when whey are running through under growth and keeps the water from getting through to their skin. Good luck with her.

she went through some gorse bushes other day on a rabbit frenzy..she was in and out and all over the place,but next day she was scratching herself raw...when i checked her skin it was covered in little red patches under the fur,very inflamed and sore...it looked like the gorse had really iratated her skin,she was going mental with it.. so i slapped loads of antbacterial antiseptic cream all over her and next day she was back to normal.

i was getting worried thought she was full of mange..hehehee.

atb

vin

If you around luton area vin pm me i'll take you on some of mine atb rich nice dog by the way good luck with him.

wow rich,

your the 1st person to offer me any of that... thanks.. im up north though nr sheffield. but on the odd occasion i do get down south,so i might just be taking you up on that offer this year.

thanks again

atb

vin

i always clippered my old bitch , she was always hot whilst working in the coldest of nights. she would forever lie in puddles, streams ect even when there was snow on the ground.

i used a big pair of clippers they usesed on horeses, no graders just done by eye :thumbs: belive you me she benafited from it. all the hair round her mouth and eys was trimmed as well. looked loads better , and smelt better.

noticed someone mentioned the "furminator" cracking bit of tool and think it would be suitable, it only strips the dead hair so the dog isn't being trimmed to look like a fluff ball in the future, its doing all the work of brushing and hand stripping in theory.

get on youtube and type furminator, its unreal,£25 i think they are from most pet shops.

Good Looking dog aswell

i always clippered my old bitch , she was always hot whilst working in the coldest of nights. she would forever lie in puddles, streams ect even when there was snow on the ground.

i used a big pair of clippers they usesed on horeses, no graders just done by eye :thumbs: belive you me she benafited from it. all the hair round her mouth and eys was trimmed as well. looked loads better , and smelt better.

sheers tomo... thaz reet lad...but our lass love stroking the long hair..hehe..so im keeping her sweet..for now.

cheers

vin

noticed someone mentioned the "furminator" cracking bit of tool and think it would be suitable, it only strips the dead hair so the dog isn't being trimmed to look like a fluff ball in the future, its doing all the work of brushing and hand stripping in theory.

get on youtube and type furminator, its unreal,£25 i think they are from most pet shops.

Good Looking dog aswell

ive been looking at the furminator...bloody good stuff... so what i have done to save some money is...made my own version...you should all now.. i like to pay less than the shops for everything i use... you,ve seen my ultimate lamp threads etc etc..hehee.

well i found a way of making a cheap alternative to the furminator.

i might aswell make a new post for everyone else to see.

cheers for the pointer.

atb

vin

Edited by vin
hello lads.

my dogs coming on a treat now...she,s just about ready for the new season..

this is probably a daft question,but how do you lot deal with the fur..do you clipper yours or hand strip the fur.?

i dont want to clipper mine and her ending up looking like a twat..she,s got cat like fur all long and whispey..not as tight as a full bedlington,almost like a long haired deerhound...

at least she,s got all her fur back now and you cant tell what a mess she was before i got her.(long story)

what do you lot think i should do ?

im tempted to clipper the lot off and start again...but rather have a bit of expert opinion 1st.

p.s.

had her 1st catch couple of nights ago.... dropped it 3 times ... but small steps etc etc.

not bad for a rescue eh !

post-11815-1251728742.jpg

atb

vin

theres only two week between a good hair cut and a bad en