question

i was in the kitchen yesterday and i saw a bloody rat iun my yard!!! cheeky sod..iv got dogs and ferrets but the bugger mujsta knew they are penned up!!! the question is...am i within the law to shoot it with my airgun??? i live in a mid terraced house..i av told the neighbours i am gunna shoot it and they are fine with it..but what would plod av to say????

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was in the kitchen yesterday and i saw a bloody rat iun my yard!!! cheeky sod..iv got dogs and ferrets but the bugger mujsta knew they are penned up!!! the question is...am i within the law to shoot it with my airgun??? i live in a mid terraced house..i av told the neighbours i am gunna shoot it and they are fine with it..but what would plod av to say????

depends on the plod mate some might say i crack on and get rid of the rat however if ur within 25mtrs of a main road they could have you on that as well as using in a public place theres loads of things they could have you on .. but if its in ur garden unless plod pass at the time of u shooting it ur probs get away with it if ur worried could you not trap it ? make sure you have the trap in some sort of cover to stop the birds getting to it

Watch the Text Talk-SS

Edited by SportingShooter
Text Talk
Guest Scuba1

If you are 50 feet away from any public road / footpath and the pellet does not leave the confines of your garden, you have all the boxes ticked as far as mr plod is concerned.

HTH

Michael

If you are 50 feet away from any public road / footpath and the pellet does not leave the confines of your garden, you have all the boxes ticked as far as mr plod is concerned.

HTH

Michael

Don't mean to split hairs Mike, but the 50ft rule only comes into force should someone get injured, or your pellet stray onto the highway. I've taken this from the BASC website, and have been looking for the relevant piece of legislation, but can't find it at the minute:

It is also against the law, in England and Wales, to fire an air rifle within 50 feet of the centre of a highway if this results in someone being injured, interrupted or endangered.

Say for eg that you were shooting in your back garden, and your house was in between yourself & the highway, you should be well within the law, as long as your pellet stays within your boundaries.

The "You shalt not fire within 50 ft of the highway" is not set in stone, but if you are shooting closer you should use your common sense. It's not as if you could sit in your front garden shooting while there's cars, pedestrians or animals about, even if all your pellets stay where they're meant to. :thumbs:

Dave,

I sat for hours and hours waiting to pick off some mice that had invaded my shed and caused a hell of a lot of damage to the stuff inside.

I sat or stood in my outhouse which is about 25 feet from the road. The passing public can see me with my rifle or pistols from the street and no one other than the coffin dodgers next door have ever complained.

I could have been up on charges if anyone 'thought' they were in danger and complained to the police.

But as your neighbours seem to be okay with it, you dont need to worry about it.

Good luck with the stakeout, get some peanut butter, speadable chocky or jam spread against a backstop and just await the shot.

Just two more piece's of advice, 1 don't forget your camera and 2 don't touch the filthy thing (Or the pellet after its hit) with your hands; bag it and bin it.

ATB

Phantom

If you have got dogs and ferrets why use a gun?

Why not use a gun? I've got dogs, ferrets & traps I could use in that situation, but if I fancied a bit of sport with the air rifle, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.