'Off the Ground' Fenn Trap box

I was recently contacted by Michael Roberts who writes and publishes the Gold Cockerel series of books on poultry keeping, waterfowl and other aspects of small holding.

Many of you will be familiar with his book Modern Vermin Control and Michael wrote to tell me that the 5th edition of this book now includes a plan for a tree mounted fenn trap box.

Unlike the ones we all saw on the TV earlier this year, this design still has the squirrel approaching the trap horizontally so to all intent and purpose working as designed.

Shown here as if mounted on a tree.

post-2748-1251313626_thumb.jpg

In simple terms there is a vertical tunnel that is attached to the trunk of the tree, big enough for squirrels to pass through. About half way up the is an opening in the tunnel 'side' which gives entry to a small wooden trap chamber. This is where the fenn is placed so as soon as the squirrel is through the opening it's almost immediately caught across the head and chest.

A door on the side of the trap chamber gives easy access for baiting and catch removal.

I've not tried it yet but it looks like a winner. Michael tells me he has used one in a nearby wood and had 43 squirrels so far.

Edited to add: make sure you get the 5th edition or later. I had a 4th edition copy which doesn't have this plan in it.

Very interesting. I wonder how difficult they would be to make. I assume the one in the book uses a MK4 as this is what most people use on sqirrels? Wonder if it could be made for a MK6 as they are a bit more boss of the job?

All the best

AF

Ithink the M4is a better trap , than the the M6, where squirrels are concerned.