sloes

Guest the techno viking

my sloes have been in the gin now for two weeks (no freezing)i added two vanilla pods this year to see if it tastes much different i make mine i two empty scrumpy flaggons it seems to work well and i had the added fun of drinking the scrumpy first,last year i did not add the sugar untill the berries were strained off this way you can add it to taste,i had some before the sugar was added mixed with lemonade it would make a great summer drink,but i probably only add half the sugar that recipies recommend ,remember though if you make it too sweet you can add some unsweetened stuff to it until you get what you want,the sugar does not make the drink more alcoholic it only sweetens it into a liquer,if you have not made it before you do not know what you are missing......... :D

Edited by Night Hunter

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have never made sloe gin ov vodka but was walkin the dogs the day and seen some, how long do you freeze them for, and do you fill the bottels with the berrys and gin and sugar or do you boil them all first then bottel???? as i said i havent tryed this so havent got a fekin clue but would like to try this got me dad makein me 5 bottels ov black and pair wine, and would like to make him a bottel ov this, so if any 1 can help me out on a step by step guide it would be more than greatfull,

cheers lamp

pick ones that have 'give' like a ripe plum and not shrivelled ones, freeze 24 hours and tip alcohol over asap to split skins, the sugar helps it ferment and sweeten it

get screwtop dark glass wine bottles or clear jars but store clear ones in dark to keep red colour of sloe gin or vodka, half fill with sloes add couple ounces of sugar top up with gin or vodka ive used both last year and they taste the same to me, shake about couple times a week for month then monthly for year when you can taste for sweetnes and add more sugar if you want, when it tastes good tip out (and spend ages prising fruit out of wine bottle neck with spoon handle) into a folded up muslin or teatowel or sheet over a bowl and screw up to squeeze out as much as possible, swear cos you not got as much as you thought you would and bottle into dark glass, use sloes for crumble or pie put in stews or cider

i have never made sloe gin ov vodka but was walkin the dogs the day and seen some, how long do you freeze them for, and do you fill the bottels with the berrys and gin and sugar or do you boil them all first then bottel???? as i said i havent tryed this so havent got a fekin clue but would like to try this got me dad makein me 5 bottels ov black and pair wine, and would like to make him a bottel ov this, so if any 1 can help me out on a step by step guide it would be more than greatfull,

cheers lamp

pick ones that have 'give' like a ripe plum and not shrivelled ones, freeze 24 hours and tip alcohol over asap to split skins, the sugar helps it ferment and sweeten it

get screwtop dark glass wine bottles or clear jars but store clear ones in dark to keep red colour of sloe gin or vodka, half fill with sloes add couple ounces of sugar top up with gin or vodka ive used both last year and they taste the same to me, shake about couple times a week for month then monthly for year when you can taste for sweetnes and add more sugar if you want, when it tastes good tip out (and spend ages prising fruit out of wine bottle neck with spoon handle) into a folded up muslin or teatowel or sheet over a bowl and screw up to squeeze out as much as possible, swear cos you not got as much as you thought you would and bottle into dark glass, use sloes for crumble or pie put in stews or cider

i have had my sloe gin on the go for the last 2 weeks 8 ltrs of it along with 3 ltrs of blackberry vodka and 3 ltrs of damson whisky me thinks the shoot season next year will be fun in the barn afterwards if it last that long lol

made mine yesterday, only two bottles as yet, but I'll get some more sloe's on friday for another batch

I experimented this year and used wild cherrys instead of sloes. Bloody superb!!! :clapper: Has a nice almondy taste.

be carefull mate sionide has arlmond taste to it like the black thorn bush has. but if all goes well and you still about will have to give that 1 a go next year try rasberry vodka aswell good straight from freezer.

• 2 weeks later...

made my first jam/jelly ever it was so easy

take the used sloes and put 1lb with 1 pint water and simmer for 30 mins or so until fruit is really squishy, when cool strain thru a clean teatowel, ya not supposed to cos jelly won't be so clear but i wrung it out to get every last bit of juice out, back into saucepan and 1pint liquid to 1lb sugar and some lemon juice to help it set (optional add a good pinch of mixed spice) and boil gently until a splodge on a cold plate wrinkles when you push finger through it, let it cool a bit skim off any froth and pour into clean jamjars with metal lids and put lid on when it's still hot to sterilise it. use on bread or toast, to rich up gravy, with meat on sandwiches, with ya roast game or in tarts, its scrummy

• 1 month later...

made my first jam/jelly ever it was so easy

take the used sloes and put 1lb with 1 pint water and simmer for 30 mins or so until fruit is really squishy, when cool strain thru a clean teatowel, ya not supposed to cos jelly won't be so clear but i wrung it out to get every last bit of juice out, back into saucepan and 1pint liquid to 1lb sugar and some lemon juice to help it set (optional add a good pinch of mixed spice) and boil gently until a splodge on a cold plate wrinkles when you push finger through it, let it cool a bit skim off any froth and pour into clean jamjars with metal lids and put lid on when it's still hot to sterilise it. use on bread or toast, to rich up gravy, with meat on sandwiches, with ya roast game or in tarts, its scrummy

Ive had the used sloes dipped in hot chocolate and left to set great,got my damson rum going 4ltr. ,sloe gin and raspberry vodka going aswell

I've got a litre of sloe voddy & a litre of sloe gin going. I did have 3kg of sloes in the freezer to do at a later date, but found them defrosted by the side of the freezer in the shed last night. :doh: Bloody wife must have left them out when she put the last lot of frozen food in there. :angry: