sloes

Guest the techno viking

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres no such thing as cheap gin.

made some bramble brandy the other day and was in tescos looking for the cheapes bottle i could find, bloody £5.49 for a quatre( i think thats what its called) 25cl bottle.

gin was £6.00 for the cheapest bottle.

we have our first two bottles on the go fermentin already get pickin folks before they have gone in sw scotland the frosts are gettin later so we freeze the little suckers and defo gona try that idea with the venison. (now wheres my .222).

I seem to be having trouble finding them aro9und the Wrexham area, just dont know wots happened, a good tip though is once yuo have drained the sloes, melt some cholcolate and dip the sloes into and leave to harden, got to be the most alcoholic chocolates around, scrumsious though .

Guest hyperion

heaving with sloes round my way too! im goin out early tomorrow to pick a few bag fulls!

for the best sloe gin/vodka pick the sloes any time from now on but after bottling them up leave them for at least a year if not two in the gin, then after removing them from the gin leave it for another four or five years! :o

its a long time to wait but is so much better for it!

also when you bottle the sloes in gin add lemon and/or orange peel, some cinamon and/or cloves and ginger

and when you take the sloes out rather than binning them you can get some of the alcohol they soak up back by half filling a bottle with the sloes then topping it up with cider and leaving them to soak for a couple of months to make SLIDER! :clapper:

cheers

hyperion

I seem to be having trouble finding them aro9und the Wrexham area, just dont know wots happened, a good tip though is once yuo have drained the sloes, melt some cholcolate and dip the sloes into and leave to harden, got to be the most alcoholic chocolates around, scrumsious though .

:alcoholic:

Great stuff. An old farmer mate does this. LOVELY :good:

heaving with sloes round my way too! im goin out early tomorrow to pick a few bag fulls!

for the best sloe gin/vodka pick the sloes any time from now on but after bottling them up leave them for at least a year if not two in the gin, then after removing them from the gin leave it for another four or five years! :o

its a long time to wait but is so much better for it!

also when you bottle the sloes in gin add lemon and/or orange peel, some cinamon and/or cloves and ginger

and when you take the sloes out rather than binning them you can get some of the alcohol they soak up back by half filling a bottle with the sloes then topping it up with cider and leaving them to soak for a couple of months to make SLIDER! :clapper:

cheers

hyperion

slider :clapper: lol cant wait to try that

i have never made sloe gin ov vodka but was walkin the dogs the day and seen some, how long do you freeze them for, and do you fill the bottels with the berrys and gin and sugar or do you boil them all first then bottel???? as i said i havent tryed this so havent got a fekin clue but would like to try this got me dad makein me 5 bottels ov black and pair wine, and would like to make him a bottel ov this, so if any 1 can help me out on a step by step guide it would be more than greatfull,

cheers lamp

i have never made sloe gin ov vodka but was walkin the dogs the day and seen some, how long do you freeze them for, and do you fill the bottels with the berrys and gin and sugar or do you boil them all first then bottel???? as i said i havent tryed this so havent got a fekin clue but would like to try this got me dad makein me 5 bottels ov black and pair wine, and would like to make him a bottel ov this, so if any 1 can help me out on a step by step guide it would be more than greatfull,

cheers lamp

You're best bet is to wait until the first frost before picking them :thumbs: However, if you think they will be half inched before then, pick them, wash them and put them in the freezer for 24 hours, it has a similar effect ;)

Then, bring them out, make sure that either the skin has split or if not, prick each one with a needle.

Empty a bottle, put the sloes in the bottom, followed by the sugar and top up with Gin.

Then follow the instructions on this thread :thumbs:

cheers lamp

You're best bet is to wait until the first frost before picking them :thumbs: However, if you think they will be half inched before then, pick them, wash them and put them in the freezer for 24 hours, it has a similar effect ;)

Then, bring them out, make sure that either the skin has split or if not, prick each one with a needle.

Empty a bottle, put the sloes in the bottom, followed by the sugar and top up with Gin.

Then follow the instructions on this thread :thumbs:

thanks alot mate i will let you all no how i get on

cheers lamp