sloes

Guest the techno viking

theres no such thing as cheap gin.

made some bramble brandy the other day and was in tescos looking for the cheapes bottle i could find, bloody £5.49 for a quatre( i think thats what its called) 25cl bottle.

gin was £6.00 for the cheapest bottle.

Never tried bramble brandy... is it good?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres no such thing as cheap gin.

made some bramble brandy the other day and was in tescos looking for the cheapes bottle i could find, bloody £5.49 for a quatre( i think thats what its called) 25cl bottle.

gin was £6.00 for the cheapest bottle.

Never tried bramble brandy... is it good?

ive never tasted it yet, i made it yesterday, it has to mature for a minimum of 3 months or so yet.

but judging by my headache and sore throat brandy on its own does the job just fine.

Don't know if this is the right topic to post it on but this orchard that I ferret on has a load of sloe trees and the old guy who owns the orchard said take what you want as he don't use it, and to be honest I didn't know what sloes even looked like till a few weeks ago and noticed that he had them in his orchard.....what a result.

JoeD

Does the sugar make it stronger like in home brew or is it purely just for

making it sweeter

atb mexlad

I'm not atall sure on that, but regardless of the %age, you most deff need the sugar to sweeten the sour ole sloe!!

I personally will be picking sloes this Sunday. I have not tryed freezing I just use a blackthorn to prick them and then bottle straight away. Will be ready by Christmas and traditionally we all have a drop before going out New Years Eve. I use less sugar than most and always put 1 large or 2 small cinnamon sticks in with the berries/sugar and gin. Do the same for damson gin and vodka. The white powdery stuff on the outside of the sloe is, I belive a natural yeast.

I personally will be picking sloes this Sunday. I have not tryed freezing I just use a blackthorn to prick them and then bottle straight away. Will be ready by Christmas and traditionally we all have a drop before going out New Years Eve. I use less sugar than most and always put 1 large or 2 small cinnamon sticks in with the berries/sugar and gin. Do the same for damson gin and vodka. The white powdery stuff on the outside of the sloe is, I belive a natural yeast.

I dont like drink too sweet either,how much sugar are you talking per lb?

I dont like drink too sweet either,how much sugar are you talking per lb?

1/4 to 1/2 lb of caster sugar per lb of sloes depending on taste. I personally use just in between. I always put in the cinnamon stick. I,ve been here in this village 21 years & this is the best year for big sloes I,ve ever seen. Best of luck Coca mate and do try it as a marinade. Did some sloes in poteen once but I prefer that without the sloes!!!