becoming a first time owner

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hendo and bobndog are you telling me that a lad who has never owned a working springer is his life to get a fast trial bred which will in my opinion to be hot to handle, read the thread what the lad is after, he isn't after a ferrari he's after a dog which will suit his needs...

Very defensive for some reason regarding the trialling bred Hendo, I was advising the lad to get something which suits his needs... I have nothing against a amazingly bred springer Ftch's throughout, you know there is something special in there, the dogs are champions and bred in theory to be the best but why would this young lad want a dog of that breeding, he would struggle to control it aswell as it wouldn't suit his needs, "bushing and retrieving"

I know for a fact trial bred dogs can be definitely too hot for a basic dog...

I agree totaly wat you have said a trial bred dog IMHO would be unsuitable for an inexspierienced person .atb dell
hendo and bobndog are you telling me that a lad who has never owned a working springer is his life to get a fast trial bred which will in my opinion to be hot to handle, read the thread what the lad is after, he isn't after a ferrari he's after a dog which will suit his needs...

Very defensive for some reason regarding the trialling bred Hendo, I was advising the lad to get something which suits his needs... I have nothing against a amazingly bred springer Ftch's throughout, you know there is something special in there, the dogs are champions and bred in theory to be the best but why would this young lad want a dog of that breeding, he would struggle to control it aswell as it wouldn't suit his needs, "bushing and retrieving"

I am not telling you anything, had you read my first post, you would see that I suggested that he gets a labrador, not a spaniel, as a first dog. At no time have I suggested that he gets a spaniel, I advised against it. I would suggest that YOU read the threads before commenting.

Forget the labrador bobndog, you were jumping on hendo's wagon... making out i was silly for advising a lad to get a dog which isn't brimming with ftch's, and from you mentioning the labrador quote don't you think thats a lil hypocritical, one minute advising a labrador and then making out i was making a stupid comment advising the lad not to get a super charged ferrari of a dog instead of a springer which would suit his needs?? Horses for courses and all that!!

Very defensive for some reason regarding the trialling bred Hendo

You are implying what ?? I see your comments as TOTAL BOLLOCKS, thats my opinion, if you have'nt got what it takes to train a springer don't get one, simple as that, looking for an easy trainable springer is a waste of time,looking for a dog without FTCH's in its pedigree ???? Never heard so much TRIPE.

Baz

I'd say he has picked himself a good dog, don't forget that he will be doing a bit of ferreting so the collie in the mix should give him a good advantage over a straight springer, even if it's just an extra bit of speed. Hope it all goes well for you.

calm down guys this wasnt meant to start an argument thank youfor all the kind comment from some people. i am getting n with the run well with a lot of the angle iron cut to sie and the oncrete layed and drying. i have been looking at food now, they have been on a puppy food called supadog puppy but it is less nutritious than a cheaper working food i found so they were being supplemented by tinned meat.

would it be ok to feed the following food (see link) as the total diet with the odd rabbit withno tinned meat crap it has 29% protien which seems a good level and above the suggested minimum is saw of 23% it is from alpha feeds which i have used for months succesfully with my ferrets and i have been happy with the quality.

http://www.feedem.co.uk/dog-2/dog-food-18/...mplete-7165.htm

have a look and tell me what you think

oh yeah 2 or 3 meals a day? they are currently on 2 one milk and biscuit (they are at dairy farms so they use milk because they have loads) in the morning and a biscuit and meat meal later but biscuits left down all day.

should i feed the recomended amount and leave the food down for as long as it takes to eat or put it down for 15 minutes and remove it after that?

thanks

atb rob

Not all trial dogs are hot !!!! take ones from FTCH Clarburgh Art he can throw some pretty soft pups, as can a number of other well used ftch sires and dams, getting sick to death of ALL trial dogs and trial breeding being pigeon holed. Ask a a lot of the pro trainers many a fftch x ftch bred dog can be rejected for trials as it's too soft !

The best reference for any litter of pups is to see the sire and dam working, then make a choice, that way you have a good idea what you are buying into

Nic

Not all trial dogs are hot !!!! take ones from FTCH Clarburgh Art he can throw some pretty soft pups, as can a number of other well used ftch sires and dams, getting sick to death of ALL trial dogs and trial breeding being pigeon holed. Ask a a lot of the pro trainers many a fftch x ftch bred dog can be rejected for trials as it's too soft !

The best reference for any litter of pups is to see the sire and dam working, then make a choice, that way you have a good idea what you are buying into

Nic

Spot on words from a person who should who know her stuff

Baz

i havent bought from ftch breeding ok if you want to discuss this can you set up another thread for the matter, i am trying to get some useful and relavant information that will help me

and this isnt helping anyone

thank you

rob

And their still whinging at each other! lol

Sounds like the kennels coming along well, don't forget a photo for us of the pup in his new home!

The food looks fine, introduce it to their diet over several days though (they might get the squits otherwise!) Maybe the breeder will let you send them a bag of food for your pup?

Stick to what the puppy knows for feeding times if they can leave food down all the time then you can do the same. For our Spanial we always used to just leave food down for him, he could eat when he wanted. Worked fine until Tia came along! she'd scoff the lot as soon as it touched his bowl!

Good luck with the pup! :good:

All the best

Luke.