becoming a first time owner

my biggest concern would be that you are 17 and live with your mum and shes not keen on having a dog!!! Are you at school or college or at work? If so who will look after the dog?? its not easy even when you love them, and you cant expect your mum to do it if shes not into the whole dog thing. Might be woth waiting a while until you are ina better situation maybe?

she is coming round to the idea, i am at college and working part time. i will be the one looking after the dog and funding it i am capable and we are in the perfect situation with lots of land an most of my free time is taken up doing things where the dog would be useful and used.

thanks for your concern but its fine, i have a space to put the kenel/run but just want to know of idea on how to make it, and sizes etc

atb rob

a small lurcher would ideal mate if there are holes that a dog should not enter then dont get a terrier a wippetxcollie or bedyxwhip bottle brain in a small cute mother friendly package. i turned up with a colliexgrey red merle 1 day [bANNED TEXT] i was young my 1st lurcher the secret is get a cute pup if you want to get on mums side, and house train the little bugger asap if indoors.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no she is a right fussy cow. 'i dont like anything whippet like i dont like thier faces they look too skinny'

fecking idiot i know but she really likes the plmmer terrier so if i can find one i may be in luck. my dad is quality he likes all of them.

any advice on the run guys this is the biggest thing that needs to be in place before getting one. does it have to be glavanised rod or is 2x2 ok?

no she is a right fussy cow. 'i dont like anything whippet like i dont like thier faces they look too skinny'

fecking idiot i know but she really likes the plmmer terrier so if i can find one i may be in luck. my dad is quality he likes all of them.

any advice on the run guys this is the biggest thing that needs to be in place before getting one. does it have to be glavanised rod or is 2x2 ok?

ok so its gona be a plummber check with the breed societies thers a few but make sure the parent work not just show an i mean work for a keeper or similar serious dog man. you could use 2x2 and weld mesh but mind and nail the mesh to the inside to avoid destruction by the inmate.

I doubt if very many Plummers will be worked by serious terriermen or gamekeepers, they get a Terrier for a specific job and it's one that a plummer doesn't seem to like doing, going to ground! but their seems to be quite a few that are used on rats and rabbits.

PM Keeps from this site, they work a few and have the odd litter now and then. Could be worth travelling for the right pup.

As for the Kennel/run we used to just use four large 4inchX3inchX9ft poles concreted in, with Chain link fencing we got cheap stapled to it ( and sunk in a foot) Although as Steve said, 2x2 weld mesh will be perfect for it.

I think it was 10ftx10ft with a paving slab base and a shop bought dog kennel put in one corner. For a Terrier it doesn't need to be that big though. Try in the Terrier section, Keano is just finishing a kennel block.

I doubt if very many Plummers will be worked by serious terriermen or gamekeepers, they get a Terrier for a specific job and it's one that a plummer doesn't seem to like doing, going to ground! but their seems to be quite a few that are used on rats and rabbits.

PM Keeps from this site, they work a few and have the odd litter now and then. Could be worth travelling for the right pup.

As for the Kennel/run we used to just use four large 4inchX3inchX9ft poles concreted in, with Chain link fencing we got cheap stapled to it ( and sunk in a foot) Although as Steve said, 2x2 weld mesh will be perfect for it.

I think it was 10ftx10ft with a paving slab base and a shop bought dog kennel put in one corner. For a Terrier it doesn't need to be that big though. Try in the Terrier section, Keano is just finishing a kennel block.

his kennelblock looks better than my house all credit to him i was thinking concrete/slab floor and and wooden or metal frame construction. i just dont want the dog to be cold. is security an issue i live out in the sticks but you here of a lot of people on here having dogs pinched.

thank you so far guys i havelearnt so much i think i will get to the library and read up and look into breeders and stuf

regards rob

Just a thought wat about an Hungarian Visla.A terrier from a good working strain is going to be a real headace with wat you say occupies your land atb

I agree, you have stuff there that could cause you grief. Have heard the vislas are great dogs, ferreting should be within their grasp, but and this is a guess as I have no clue, they may be to active and impatient for ferreting. Very annoying when you dog buggers off with a ferret to ground. A small lurcher beddy or collie would suit, something with a coat to please your mum. Though if it's a terrier you are set on a plummer would be a good enough choice. Once you get the pup, whatever it is it will win her over by being a puppy. Unless it chews the washing :clapper: Another possibility, look about the terriermen for a dog that won't go to ground. Ideal then for what you want, and probably trained up a bit too.

Just a thought wat about an Hungarian Visla.A terrier from a good working strain is going to be a real headace with wat you say occupies your land atb

I agree, you have stuff there that could cause you grief. Have heard the vislas are great dogs, ferreting should be within their grasp, but and this is a guess as I have no clue, they may be to active and impatient for ferreting. Very annoying when you dog buggers off with a ferret to ground. A small lurcher beddy or collie would suit, something with a coat to please your mum. Though if it's a terrier you are set on a plummer would be a good enough choice. Once you get the pup, whatever it is it will win her over by being a puppy. Unless it chews the washing :clapper: Another possibility, look about the terriermen for a dog that won't go to ground. Ideal then for what you want, and probably trained up a bit too.

im confused i thought the advantage of the plummer wasit was a bushing dog and didnt go to ground, i will have a look at vislas, i dont yet know what they look like let alone anythig else about them

i just had a look at the vizlas and they are hansome dogs but they look a bit to large to work denser cover, just my thoughts does anyone have any experience with them, but if they were steady enough around net they look like they could pick up the odd stragler no trouble . they look fast!

Edited by ellir0305
just my two penneths worth,

if you are anything like the average hunter, lol

you will end up out on the lamp an that

so do yourself a favour an get a small lurcher, they will do everything you said an a lot more ;)

has ayone got any really nice pictures of lurchers or colliexlurchers that are fully grown as a convincer as once ive convince the old dear can get what i want but despite the fact she will have nothing to do with the dog apparently the looks matter

do a search on colie whippets, or beddy whippets. A thread in the lurchers at the minute too.

just throwing this in the mix here, you said that collies are easy to train so what about a sprollie (essxcollie) as this would have the ease of training of the collie and gundog capabilties of the ESS a good steady dog great for flushing and marking

the pups definately have the awww factor and grown into fantastic looking dogs

works well on paper, and I am sure people use them on here. For bushing etc should be good and have a better pace than a springer. Only thing again is for ferreting the springer in the mix can take a time to settle, unless you have a lot of rabbits and it pics it up well. Have seen some nice terrier collies too, again think something written about them recently. What dog is it you have your head set on? Pick what you like and you can work out any niggles as you go. If its springers be patient and if its terriers be aware of them entering out of sight. All part of keeping dogs. They drive you mad at the best of times, mine do. :clapper:

thats the thing i love springers and i have worked them before with a friend of mine but as everyone has said they can be nutters and very challenging as a first dog not such ood for the ferreting but the main thing im after is bushing and retrieving as well a flushing game to the gun.

i like the plummers as the are very handsome dogs but i have no experience handling them at all so all my knowledge is read and terriers ae hyper too so they might not be any better than a springer in that sense.

collies are nice to but not what i really want .

in conclusion i want either a ESS or a plummer but the ESS is easy to aquire and harder to train what do i do now :blink::blink:

do a search on colie whippets, or beddy whippets. A thread in the lurchers at the minute too.

just throwing this in the mix here, you said that collies are easy to train so what about a sprollie (essxcollie) as this would have the ease of training of the collie and gundog capabilties of the ESS a good steady dog great for flushing and marking

the pups definately have the awww factor and grown into fantastic looking dogs

Theirs a lad near me has one of these it was the result of an accidentel mating at a local farm and looks like a jet black leggy cocker.Its only a young dog but is well behaved and obeidient.You might struggle a bit to find this cross.But going on wat ave seen of this dog and one we had as kids they can make good scrounging dogs.atb dell