becoming a first time owner

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go for the springer, if you do more shooting than ferreting. You will always get better results if you have the dog your heart lies with rather than one your not 100% into. Springers not impossible to work with ferrets just a little excitable. Just be patient and it will do well and be with you for years. Even an old dog can ferret well, maybe even better as of experience. The only thing with terriers is down to what you have on the land. They aren't hard to train.

You have a friend with a lurcher so you can always pair up. And if you make your kennel run big enough you will always have space in the future if you want to add to the pack. Just one other dog for you to look at the brittany spaniel. Used a lot by falconry boys. Worth a look.

Hi mate,

been reading this thread over the past few days and my decision would be to go with the springer, on the basis that you need the dog to bush and also retrieve this dog will be perfectlyh suited, also with the ferreting it is possible but from experience they can be very difficult to settle....

the key to buying a springer would be to get one which isn't brimming with Ftch's as the dog would be very high tuned and more than likely too hot to handle... You need a dog which will suit your needs, I would recommend you to go and have a word with your local gamekeeper ask him if he knows of any litters which will be suited to you, something will be out there for you and I wish you all the look in the world let us know how you get on mate and what decision you make.

regards RS

Hi mate,

been reading this thread over the past few days and my decision would be to go with the springer, on the basis that you need the dog to bush and also retrieve this dog will be perfectlyh suited, also with the ferreting it is possible but from experience they can be very difficult to settle....

the key to buying a springer would be to get one which isn't brimming with Ftch's as the dog would be very high tuned and more than likely too hot to handle... You need a dog which will suit your needs, I would recommend you to go and have a word with your local gamekeeper ask him if he knows of any litters which will be suited to you, something will be out there for you and I wish you all the look in the world let us know how you get on mate and what decision you make.

regards RS

a couple of things, what is Ftch's i have no idea what you on about there.

but i have found a local little with two dog pups left a springerxcollie litter from working parents (collie is a farm dog for herding cattle and the springer is a gundog) i am going to have a look tomorrow and the lady said if i like one i can put down a deposit and they will keep it till i get my run up for which i am laying the concrete base tomorrow as well. i shifted 1/2 tonne of soil tonight to clear the space.

i thought this would be a good breed and from working stock at a good price. what do you guys reckon?

Edited by ellir0305

a couple of things, what is Ftch's i have no idea what you on about there.

Ftch's = Field Trial Champion's hope that makes some more sense to you...

i thought this would be a good breed and from working stock at a good price. what do you guys reckon?

I think the brains are there aswell as the drive some good qualities but your never 100% sure what you can get out of a mix, it would be nice if you got all the good qualities, but you could get all the bad.... what price are they, well done on being so prepared mate, if the price is right with these pups, and you happy with the sceanrio go for it mate...

yeah that makes much more sense thanks.

the price of the pups is £120 so its a steel but i will ake sure i see both parents and see what they are like. plus she said she will hold one till i'm sorted which is great. i have some dog training books ordered to the library as we speak so im getting there.

thanks guys

atb rob

the price of the pups is £120 so its a steel but i will ake sure i see both parents and see what they are like. plus she said she will hold one till i'm sorted which is great. i have some dog training books ordered to the library as we speak so im getting there.

thanks guys

atb rob

GOOD LUCK lad and same as ricky said if you are lucky to get the good qualitys out of both breeds you will be more than happy.atvb dell

thanks guys

atb rob

GOOD LUCK lad and same as ricky said if you are lucky to get the good qualitys out of both breeds you will be more than happy.atvb dell

i went to see them this morning and once i found the place i had a look at everything and put a deposit down on a slightly darker than liver and white dog pup which was looking really strong had a great temprement and was incredibly cute :icon_redface: . so i am going to pick it up once i have my run finished. the oncretebase is layed tonight and the fram is going up after work tomorrow :victory:

the key to buying a springer would be to get one which isn't brimming with Ftch's as the dog would be very high tuned and more than likely too hot to handle...

regards RS

What a load of BOLLOCKS....id buy a pup from a litter produced by FTCH Laganmill Malvern x FTCH Toonarmy Torrent over a pup from a litter from Johnny Blue Shoes x Shiela's Wheels, just because its gamekeeper bred ?? What the f*&k ??

Years of well bred dogs to well bred bitches so that you can say they are highly strung and advise people to gofor a springer with a mediocre pedigree from a keeper' ??

Baz

the key to buying a springer would be to get one which isn't brimming with Ftch's as the dog would be very high tuned and more than likely too hot to handle...

regards RS

What a load of BOLLOCKS....id buy a pup from a litter produced by FTCH Laganmill Malvern x FTCH Toonarmy Torrent over a pup from a litter from Johnny Blue Shoes x Shiela's Wheels, just because its gamekeeper bred ?? What the f*&k ??

Years of well bred dogs to well bred bitches so that you can say they are highly strung and advise people to gofor a springer with a mediocre pedigree from a keeper' ??

Baz

Yep, that's true, after all the point of having Ftch's in the pedigree is to improve the working strain, not to breed "highly tuned and too hot to handle" dogs, they would be of no use for trialling either.

regards RS

Baz

Yep, that's true, after all the point of having Ftch's in the pedigree is to improve the working strain, not to breed "highly tuned and too hot to handle" dogs, they would be of no use for trialling either.

EXACTLY

Baz

hendo and bobndog are you telling me that a lad who has never owned a working springer is his life to get a fast trial bred which will in my opinion to be hot to handle, read the thread what the lad is after, he isn't after a ferrari he's after a dog which will suit his needs...

Very defensive for some reason regarding the trialling bred Hendo, I was advising the lad to get something which suits his needs... I have nothing against a amazingly bred springer Ftch's throughout, you know there is something special in there, the dogs are champions and bred in theory to be the best but why would this young lad want a dog of that breeding, he would struggle to control it aswell as it wouldn't suit his needs, "bushing and retrieving"

I know for a fact trial bred dogs can be definitely too hot for a basic dog...