I know my take on this thread, and I also know who's being the arsehole here, it is a perfectly acceptable round under certain circumstances,

May I presume you are then calling me an arsehole?

If we are to get in to the semantics of this, lets first start with a simple question. What are you basing your opinion on exactly? (shooting foxes as apposed to me being an arsehole).

What rifles do you own? I presume that as you have an opinion on this subject you have shot foxes with both a .22rf and a center-fire rifle on a regular bases over a number of years ? Can you confirm this? If so, what calibre rifles and expertise can you bring in to this topic?

I have stated on multiple occasions that the little .22rf will kill foxes at close range, it is however not suitable for general fox control. How do I know this? Well because I have shot foxes with a .22rf, .222, .223, .243" on a fairly regular bases over the last twenty odd years.

Aside from all the misinformation about chicken pens, or greenhouses or gardens, the .22rf is ONLY suitable for CLOSE range fox control, do you disagree with this?

FFS

John

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we're arguing about semantics here. General fox control does not necessarily equal long range shots. You just have to know the limitations! I would take a .22 out for general foxing if I had nothing else to use, and I'd shoot 'em at 100 yards in the right conditions too, because I can make that shot. If I'm not confident I wouldn't take it.

In addition, I use a semi auto .22, because should it fail to stop quite hard enough the first time round (applies to rabbits too - shots on windy days can go awry) I can quickly and without loss of sight picture take the second shot.

So it can work for general foxing, but the shots are going to be close range. I don't think anyone's said otherwise!

The way i see it shooting foxes with a .22rf is like shooting rabbits with a 12ft/lb air rifle there up to the job but shot placement has to be spot on, so does that mean air rifles should not be used for shooting rabbits because a .22rf is much suited for shooting them.

Well i think the .22rf is ok for shooting foxes but i would use a centrefire if i was going out targeting a fox. The .22 has got enought power to stop a fox and the fox i shot the other week at 75yards thinks so aswell.

My thoughts on this is that if im out with the .22 and a fox trots iwithin 80yards of me he is going down.

I'd shoot 'em at 100 yards in the right conditions too, because I can make that shot.

And what exactly would prescribe "right conditions"?

I am MORE than happy to admit that I would be very doubtful I could make 100 yard shot with a .22rf every time within the head space of a fox who is likely to be moving or looking around. This is and concludes my whole point and input in to this thread. Once you start suggesting a .22rf is a suitable tool for foxes, people will start to extend the effective range of the .22rf, which will lead to people going for body shots and lead to wounding. Of course head shots have to be the best option, right? And so to complete my input in to this dwindling thread.

John

Mr Logic you state you only take a shot when you are certain you are going to kill the animal then why do you need a semi in case you need to finish the animal off .

A second shot at a fleeing animal would be a lot harder than the shot you have just cocked up ?

hi

would it be ok to use subsonic ammo, in a rimfire for foxes.is it the right caliber for foxes

regards

davy

Well yes a .22rf is OK, but no it isn't the Calibre you would by choice set out with.

Where I live unless you just get lucky, you would never get closer than 100 yards from a fox, and

that is just about twice as far as a Subsonic will do the business from.

I use a Ruger No1 in 22.250 for foxes, and it's just perfect (as the .22 rf is for Rabbits), but I realise that not everyone

is as fortunate as I am in that I have the land and permissions for that to be possible.

Anyway, I used to shoot foxes with a .22rf because that's what I had (1970's), and I shot plenty, I would advise that you use good quality HV (like Velocitor) and treat your Fox trips as such, with a zero for the HV rounds, squeek them up and take them from under 100 yards, a neck or heart/lung shot will be OK.

Best of luck, maybe a centrefire is on the menu for later? (.223 or 22-250) however be prepared for the ammo price hike, circa £1.20 a go not £35 for 500.

CHEERS

AF

Mr Logic you state you only take a shot when you are certain you are going to kill the animal then why do you need a semi in case you need to finish the animal off .

A second shot at a fleeing animal would be a lot harder than the shot you have just cocked up ?

No, I don't state that at all. I said I only take a shot when I can be CONFIDENT of making a clean kill. Nothing in shooting is certain, and for that eventuality I prefer a semi auto. I'd have one in .223 as well if the law permitted it.

The second shot might be harder, or it might not, all depends on the reaction. Since it costs me nothing to have the facility available, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

HUnter Zero - Right conditions - calm day, good supported shot preferably prone from a bipod at a fox who has frozen and isn't just looking around at stuff. Like I said, right conditions. Given the calm day and the supported shot, I'll hit a fox in the head pretty much each and every time, so I am happy with the shot. If you're not, then don't take it, I would never suggest anyone takes a shot that they're not confident will have the correct result.

I know my take on this thread, and I also know who's being the arsehole here, it is a perfectly acceptable round under certain circumstances,

May I presume you are then calling me an arsehole?

If we are to get in to the semantics of this, lets first start with a simple question. What are you basing your opinion on exactly? (shooting foxes as apposed to me being an arsehole).

What rifles do you own? I presume that as you have an opinion on this subject you have shot foxes with both a .22rf and a center-fire rifle on a regular bases over a number of years ? Can you confirm this? If so, what calibre rifles and expertise can you bring in to this topic?

I have stated on multiple occasions that the little .22rf will kill foxes at close range, it is however not suitable for general fox control. How do I know this? Well because I have shot foxes with a .22rf, .222, .223, .243" on a fairly regular bases over the last twenty odd years.

Aside from all the misinformation about chicken pens, or greenhouses or gardens, the .22rf is ONLY suitable for CLOSE range fox control, do you disagree with this?

FFS

John

If the cap fits wear it? Thats a yes so, you are clear.

You've made that clear to any unbiased reader on here. Quite why you have to resort to insulting others that have different views to you astounds me.

All have said that the .22 is acceptable under certain circumstances only not as a general rule. You won't accept that and rant on. Definition of an arsole in my book. Your recomendation to keep abuse to PMs I also struggle with. Anyone doing that should be outcast.

So thats the atitude thing out of the way, now shooting.

Quote;

I haven't owned a centrefire ever. I've used one, and had a slot for one on my ticket several times but because of the type of shooting I do have never needed one. I used to shoot regularly with a mate with a 223 and had all my land, well over 1000 acres passed for this. And this is over 40 or so years. Now still only use the 22 and the hmr. The main aspect you fail to realise is that this argument is all about occaissional or opportunist fox shooting, everyone has said ,no, not suitable for the out and out hunting/lamping of foxes but for the odd time when you are sat out rabbiting or netted up for crows etc, at ranges of say60 yds max the .22 is acceptable.

You know you've almost said this yourself so I'm not too sure who you are arguing with.

Quote;

And everyone else has agreed with you, so chill.

Quote;

Thats not misinformation, thats just the circumstances where the .22 becomes not just acceptable but the ideal tool. And again you reiterate the point about how the .22 is only suitable for close range, which everyone else has agreed with.

So, who are you arguing with apart from yourself? :wallbash: