• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not as a mainstay fox calibre, no. They need a Hornet or more really.

Yes, rimfires work, but they're not ideal.

Note that depending on the exact wording of your FAC and the way the Force licenses you, you may also (more than likely you do) need a separate condition for fox in order to be completely legal.

I've discussed the law on this at length, and unless I get people moaning again I won't worry too much again now!

Not as a mainstay fox calibre, no. They need a Hornet or more really.

Yes, rimfires work, but they're not ideal.

Note that depending on the exact wording of your FAC and the way the Force licenses you, you may also (more than likely you do) need a separate condition for fox in order to be completely legal.

I've discussed the law on this at length, and unless I get people moaning again I won't worry too much again now!

tanks!

i just thought i would check as i thought i was right.i was just checking because i replied to a post in the air gun section that i dont tink its the prefered caliber

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/index...howtopic=116126

TANKS! again

regards

Davy

davy

yes not the best caliber to use but close range they will more then do the job. to be fair i bet there is more foxes killed with 22lr then any other cal ! thats because its the most popular of course. and not everyone has land for centrefire.

hi

would it be ok to use subsonic ammo, in a rimfire for foxes.is it the right caliber for foxes

regards

davy

As already said it's not a suitable calibre at all. The little .22rf will kill foxes but you need something a little bigger, as suggested the .22H is a great fox calibre but has mainly been replaced by the .222 & .223 (and unwisely (IMHO)the .17HMR).

John

Edited by HUnter_zero
hi

would it be ok to use subsonic ammo, in a rimfire for foxes.is it the right caliber for foxes

regards

davy

As already said it's not a suitable calibre at all. The little .22rf will kill foxes but you need something a little bigger, as suggested the .22H is a great fox calibre but has mainly been replaced by the .222 & .223 (and unwisely (IMHO)the .17HMR).

John

Chap...you really do need to reign it in a bit...that is NOT true, I and MANY people have FOX specifically listed on our FAC next to .22LR. (and also on my HMR and my .22WMR..as well as the centrefires) This is for the simple reason there are times when it is not only suitable but the preferred calibre, so please hold back a bit.

The Home Office Guide more than suggests that most will not get a .22lr for FOX, but that is a guide, and the Police will consider reason.

Certainly if you were to consider just one rifle for fox I concede that a .22lr is unlikely to be granted to many, and would not be most peoples first choice anyway! :thumbs:

hi

regards

davy

Hi Davy.

This has been round before and is always a bit of a Hornets nest.

First off a .22lr will not be most peoples first choice Fox round and many will not get it granted for fox anyway.

This may sound odd to many but read twice if you need to...

From my point of view the .22lr 40g Lead HP Sub is an excellent close range fox tool, the bullet expands a treat and punches a big hole, often imparting all its energy. That is the only way I would use it on fox, I would not use high velocity .22lr simply because it is not as accurate, will tend to pass right through at close range and commonly hardly expand at all, imparts relatively little energy and doesn't have anything like the shock effect of say a .223!

So close range with .22lr subs yes!!! For most normal general fox shooting, well, certainly a Hornet upwards, but I rate my .223 much better than that and the distance pushes out much more to! :thumbs:

if you have vermin on your fac does that not cover you for shooting foxes with a rimfire. is a fox classed as vermin in the eyes of the police :blink:

Armchair man again. NO. Fox are now classed as medium quarry, and you are very unlikely to get a condition to use rimfire "for the purpose of " shooting foxes. If you have a rimfire for the "purpose of" killing "pest species" you may also get a condition for "occasional fox" . . . ie close range head shots. Seems about right to me.

Ric

if you have vermin on your fac does that not cover you for shooting foxes with a rimfire. is a fox classed as vermin in the eyes of the police :blink:

Again its a Hornets nest and very grey area.

It depends entirely on what the views of your local police force are. Some forces will consider Fox to be included in the "Vermin" condition, others want it to be separate. The only way you will know for sure is to either ask your Licensing department of the Enquiry Officer for your area.

You don't want to fall foul of it as if you are caught and are not appropriately conditioned then you will lose all weapons on your FAC.

:thumbs:

Chap...you really do need to reign it in a bit...that is NOT true,

Now I really am a qualified BPCA pest controller & deer mentor and I will say that the .22lr is NOT suitable for general fox control. You seem to know everything, so stop and think for one minute because I am thinking of two words but am not typing them.

John

It depends entirely on what the views of your local police force are.

Spot on!! I was always under the impression that 'vermin' covers all pest species and in South Wales that is the case but due to crossing force boundaries (D&C) I was told that I could not shoot fox unless specifically stated on my licence. In the end D&C police agreed to honor South Wales polices conditions on my FAC.

John

hi

regards

davy

ANYONE that says a 22lr sub sonic is okay for FOX is off there trolley, only under certain conditions are they afeective ie: if you are out for rabbits and come along one and you have it at close range for a head shot......

Anyone posting to say that this is okay WAKE UP you will have all and sundry shooting at foxes with no chance of killing the animal only to hit it and have it run off and die a slow painfull death.

As you all know i hate FOXES and shoot any on sight but never with a 22 lr, give the fox the respect it deserves dont go shooting at them with sub sonic rounds.

If you want to shoot them go get a centerfire on your FAC....please ... please... please :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Just like to add a few things to this thread.

Its all well and good that opposition and support for shooting Foxes with rimfires are aired and discussed, this is how both forums work and others become more informed, but I think there has to be more acceptance of other's methods of conducting their pest control.

Some members will go more on ethics, some will go more on necessity, both have to be accepted and both have to be met with reasoned criticism if needs be. If you do not like the answer, then there is still no need to try and make as much noise about that fact as you can.

The answer to Davy's question has been answered by now, that rimfires are not ideal tools for Fox, but in certain circumstances, they are the correct tool for the job. I certainly wouldn't want to fire a .223 in the vicinity of objects that can cause a ricochet, i'd rather have a subsonic put all its energy in one place and still kill the animal. Which happens.

On the other hand, I'd never consider firing at a Fox with a .22 much over 40 yards, thats what the centrefire is there for.

I'm happy to accept the above even though I don't put it into practice, mainly because I own a HMR not a .22 :laugh:

But it just seemed to be getting rather heated again.

It depends entirely on what the views of your local police force are.

Spot on!! I was always under the impression that 'vermin' covers all pest species and in South Wales that is the case but due to crossing force boundaries (D&C) I was told that I could not shoot fox unless specifically stated on my licence. In the end D&C police agreed to honor South Wales polices conditions on my FAC.

John

South Wales are pretty good. I asked them the question because I shoot in both South Wales Area and Dyfed-Powys's area. And even though they were happy enough that Vermin included Fox to them, they added a separate condition for just Fox to my FAC for me.