caliber for fallow

Sorry for hijacking this thread 'shotgun' but I've a similar question I've been meaning to ask. I'm going on a combined stalk for fallow and muntjac and planning to use my .308 but have no idea on a suitable bullet as I've never shot either species. I currently have both 150gr Hornadys and 180gr Wins, would either of these be adequate?

Either will do the trick. Use which ever gives the best accuracy (twist rate dependant).

John

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive been offerd the chance to control some fallow deer so what would you recomend as the best caliber firearms officer says a can get prettymuch what ever a want looking for summit cheap to reload an buy prefer something not to thumpy i normally shoot with a 22 250 but thats not legal o an a done this on ma phone couldnt find full stops lol cheers stuart

You are very limited with the .243" and would stay well clear especially if you have the chance of a great buck. If your only culling prickets then the .243" will do at a pinch, a tight pinch. The 6.5x55 is a sweet round and very capable on fallow. If your looking at cheap, then a .308 is as cheap as your going to get. The .308 is not a big recoil machine. I shoot 40 - 80 rounds a month at the range.

An outsider is also the .25-06 (very much under rated and missed by most hence very cheap second hand.).

John

Hi Shotgun most begginers start with a 243 and normaly use the 70g self loaded heads :D

Good to see your years of experience and helpful attitude to members showing through....if he uses this in Scotland he will get arrested and lose his FAC!!!

I'm sure he appreciates you are only trying to help him!

Deker i think that was a swipe at your mate Mr logic , but quoted off another thread.

Hi Shotgun most begginers start with a 243 and normaly use the 70g self loaded heads :D

Go f*** yourself you f***ing retard.

I tend to try and steer clear of personal abuse but that's not on.

I said about roe, this is a fallow question.

Yes, 243 will see to a fallow no problem, but for them, you are going to want a decent deer bullet. Good heavy soft point or a Nosler Partition should do the trick.

It`s not on logic because you`ve lost control of your feelings..

You lack restraint and cannot handle pressure especially from fellow experience guy`s..

Anyway your little outburst is forgiven and was literally water off a ducks back ;)

I can see that your obviously uncomfortable sharing this excellent forum with other pro`s but i`m sure you`ll get use to it :D

Personally Shotgun i`d keep the 22.250 and invest in a 308 that way you have one hell of a foxing round and an excellent all round Deer calibre..

Regards Ace

So...reasoned logical response..

This user has not configured their 'About Me' page and has not added a signature to their account yet.

For someone who revels in putting down the rest of the world with their all encompassing knowledge I find it strange you did not decide to promote your experience in your profile!

I also find it strange you struggle with the concept of Pest Control on Deer, there are some of us who do it on a regular basis and have no need or desire to pay stupid amounts of money for Game Deer Shooting..Bullet choice and calibre can be different for an assortment of reasons...commonly .308 is used on paid stalks where the customer cannot be relied on to shoot straight so a cannon has to be employed.

.308 ..an excellent all round Deer calibre...now you are having a larf, many dogs are bigger than a Muntjac or CWD.... and a Roe is still tiny and sanctioned for .22 cf at 1000ft lb in Scotland, perhaps you would be kind enough to explain why .308 (approx 2400-2800ft lb) is an excellent all round Deer Calibre.

Perhaps you need to tell the BDS, Home Office and Police the .243 is a mule or was it a goat, or perhaps you just need to get some instruction from someone who can use one!!

I have NEVER EVER, hit ANY Deer with a .243 and it didn't fall down, except one occasion at just short of 200 yards when one was already lying down, and the SP bullet hit him like a train, rolled him right over and left the exit wound upwards. But obviously I have been doing something wrong all these years as I need a .308.

My .308 comes out of the cabinet as required, but it is NOT my first choice deer calibre.

I've NEVER had a runner with my .243!!!...seems a lot of .308 shooters get them...so why would that be?????.... let me give you a clue, bullet placement and ammo choice!! :hmm:

If you would like any more help just ask, more than happy to offer assistance! :thumbs: You appear to need it, as by your own admission you suggest you come from Berkshire land of the fools

ATB

Good to see your years of experience and helpful attitude to members showing through....if he uses this in Scotland he will get arrested and lose his FAC!!!

Deker i think that was a swipe at your mate Mr logic , but quoted off another thread.

:hmm: sounds like I have missed something here then!

Guest Fireball

Deker i`m glad you can now see how silly that comment is, there nowt like having a good look in the mirror ;)

Shotgun if you decide on one gun go with the 6.5 you wont get a better more versatile round for every occasion.

But like i have previously said you have a good fox/Roe gun all ready so i`d tend to lean towards a dedicated all round Deer calibre.

I used a 243 for one season and run 100g heads for every thing i eventually came to the conclusion that it was an awesome fox round ;)

leadersfox1.jpg

Sorry for hijacking this thread 'shotgun' but I've a similar question I've been meaning to ask. I'm going on a combined stalk for fallow and muntjac and planning to use my .308 but have no idea on a suitable bullet as I've never shot either species. I currently have both 150gr Hornadys and 180gr Wins, would either of these be adequate?

Either will do the trick. Use which ever gives the best accuracy (twist rate dependant).

John

If we assume there is no other calibre choice in this case then YES, either is MORE than adequate!

I am really struggling, and have done for many years, to understand why so many people feel the .243 inadequate for some deer. For sure, personal choice and individual shooting situations differ, as does individual ability and bullet choice, but it p****s me off I have to get the .243 out to shoot Roe in this part of the world when my .223 does an exceptionally good job on them in Scotland!

....and when I debate the calibre question on Roe with my firearms department the answer is simple, people have to use a .243 on Roe so when they shoot them up the arse they still die quick (not quite the way the 2007 Amendment phrases it)....I suspect the same answer is applicable with .308 owners who can't be trusted with a .243 on larger deer!

Just my opinion, you are entitled to yours, my experience tells me .243 WORKS, if it didn't and I had runners all over the place I sure as hell would not use it, I have a .308 sitting in the cabinet, but I don't need it as an ALL round deer calibre! ATB

I am not trying to start an issue here, this is my experience and my view, if you don't agree then fine, I am sure as hell not telling you all to use .243, some of you may well find you need a bigger calibre, if it works for you then that is what you need to use. :thumbs:

Deker i`m glad you can now see how silly that comment is, there nowt like having a good look in the mirror ;)

Shotgun if you decide on one gun go with the 6.5 you wont get a better more versatile round for every occasion.

But like i have previously said you have a good fox/Roe gun all ready so i`d tend to lean towards a dedicated all round Deer calibre.

I used a 243 for one season and run 100g heads for every thing i eventually came to the conclusion that it was an awesome fox round ;)

leadersfox1.jpg

Perhaps you would like to explain to all of us Deker i`m glad you can now see how silly that comment is, there nowt like having a good look in the mirror

and why showing your ignorance to someone asking for help and advising them to break the law is helpful!!

And any time you would like to pass on your pearls of wisdom on the other posts above, I'm sure the whole forum is waiting to add a 6th star to your profile!

Edited by Deker

i used the .243 on the largest red seen in the area 17 pointer a few years back.... he was shot at slightly over 200 yards.....

he didn't get up to run...... dropped with a neck shot.........

i'm not looking for a bickering session, but i've seen fallow run when shot with 30-06, .308, .243, and at close ranges like 100 to 140 yards.

just place the round and you will have no problem's at all.....

Snap.

Eh Deker see how our Shotgun is asking me for advice and not you or Logic :D Must be my pearls of wisdom pal :laugh:

:notworthy::toast::clapper::D

You are an inspiration to us all....

...And you must be right, I struggle to understand how this site ever survived and grew to the size and standing it has, without your vast knowledge and helpful advice!

You always were VERY good at causing grief and winding people up, I salute you for this, that is certainly one area you really do excell at! but I struggle to understand what that has got to do with shooting, and what it adds to any thread!

ATB

Edited by Deker
Guest Fireball
Eh Deker see how our Shotgun is asking me for advice and not you or Logic :D Must be my pearls of wisdom pal :laugh:

but I struggle to understand what that has got to do with shooting, and what it adds to any thread!

ATB

Deker your not exactly the sharpest knife in the rack going by some of your posts from the last week or so,lol But if you haven't noticed i only have an affect on the pretender`s amongst us ;)

I`d give up mate and except me or its going to be a long war believe me :D

Snap shot i too have seen quite a few runner`s which have been shot with various calibre`s both big and small, Deer will go down i know that from experience.

But if your up for a neck shot at 200 then nothings safe,lol.

You`ll find that dedicated guy`s who frequently shoot Deer will have more than a 243 because they know from experience that there better options available to them.

If your doing a lot of foxing/Roe then the larger varmint calibre`s work well and will perform on the odd bigger Deer too.

Bit like towing a caravan with the wife's mini lol.

Anyway Logic hows the new boy doing with his 243. lmao

Before i knew better.. 243 lung shot 80 yards

bustag.jpg

mr logic sorry if a mistuke you for decker what ever a get will get reloaded im gettin confused now whats the difference between 243 An 243 Win sorry as said i just shoot the 22 250 An a rimfire mainly do foxing wi a few roe

[/quote

The "243" as the term is used in the UK is a Winchester designed varmint round. Winchester also make the "243 WSSM", Winchester Super Short Magnum. About 10% up on 243. 100grn 3000fps 2000ft.lbs suitable for large deer. Source Wikipedia. Might be a good compromise for your purpose but not many rifles available with the very short action.

That bloody armchair man again!