caliber for fallow

Guest Fireball

I`ll just sort Logic out first before i get on to the interesting stuff. Now Logic i take it that your a grown man and should capable of controlling your emotions and handling criticism as well as any comments written to you or spoken to you. Now let me give you some advice.. Learn to share the forum take the rough with the smooth pal and stop acting like a complining girlie because i aint going now where :D

Now the 260 Rem is a modern version of the 6.5x55 both are good calibre`s but the 6.5x55 will handle the heavier heads better performance wise.

I was lead to believe after a discussion with a popular Rifle smith that i would of encountered problems cycling rounds using the 129g sst heads in the 260 rem i intended on having built.

He also mentioned the limited size of the case capacity of the 260 rem comparing it to the old 6.5x55. The 260 rem for optimum performance is designed to use the lighter bullet heads where as the other is quite capable up to 160g with no compromise what so ever.

Coldweb wrote quite correctly about the 243 and that is it`s a Varmint round and a good varmint round at that. A bit like comparing a Goat to a mule for hauling stuff,lol.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because the .243 Winchester is not hard on the shoulder does not mean that it is not an outstanding deer hunting caliber for anyone. The .243 Winchester gets the job done with a minimal amount of unneeded energy that usually just tears up too much meat. The following ballistics information is taken from information on Remington.com. (Remington.com has a useful tool for comparing various loadings) The .243 Winchester data is with a 100 grain Core-Lokt bullet that generates a little over 2900 feet per second and almost 2000 foot pounds of energy. Ballistics for the .270 Winchester with a 130 grain Core-Lokt bullet is used for compassion purposes at hunting range. The generally accepted rule of thumb is that 1000 foot pounds of energy are needed for deer hunting. Using this rule, the .243 Winchester carries the needed 1000 foot pounds of energy to 300 yards, while the .270 Winchester will carry it to 400. While this is a fairly significant difference how many hunters have the skill to be shooting past 300 yards? The difference in bullet drop between the .243 and .270 is quite insignificant with the .270 having a ½ inch lead at 300 yards (.243 is 7.5 inches low at 300, the .270 is 7 inches low).

taken from a web-page........

again back to the addage of placing the bullet where it needs to be....

yes the .243 when loaded with light bullets IS a varmint gun, but however place 95 to 100g in the chamber and pull the trigger,

deer will fall,

the .243 will have no problems if the shooter can place the shot correctly.... which should be done with ANY calibre.....

Snap.

I`ll just sort Logic out first before i get on to the interesting stuff. Now Logic i take it that your a grown man and should capable of controlling your emotions and handling criticism as well as any comments written to you or spoken to you. Now let me give you some advice.. Learn to share the forum take the rough with the smooth pal and stop acting like a complining girlie because i aint going now where :D

Now the 260 Rem is a modern version of the 6.5x55 both are good calibre`s but the 6.5x55 will handle the heavier heads better performance wise.

I was lead to believe after a discussion with a popular Rifle smith that i would of encountered problems cycling rounds using the 129g sst heads in the 260 rem i intended on having built.

He also mentioned the limited size of the case capacity of the 260 rem comparing it to the old 6.5x55. The 260 rem for optimum performance is designed to use the lighter bullet heads where as the other is quite capable up to 160g with no compromise what so ever.

Coldweb wrote quite correctly about the 243 and that is it`s a Varmint round and a good varmint round at that. A bit like comparing a Goat to a mule for hauling stuff,lol.

I'm quite happy with reasoned debate, but I won't have wind-ups or abuse. So if you carry on that way then we'll just see about you sticking around...

Shotgun - are you reloading these? You might have said but if you did I missed it.

The simple fact is that anything from 243 upwards is going to sort out a fallow no problem with the right bullet. If you're not reloading, then stick to something common! Otherwise you have a large number of calibres to choose from...

ive been offerd the chance to control some fallow deer so what would you recomend as the best caliber firearms officer says a can get prettymuch what ever a want looking for summit cheap to reload an buy prefer something not to thumpy i normally shoot with a 22 250 but thats not legal o an a done this on ma phone couldnt find full stops lol cheers stuart

Shotgun -

I note you live in Edinburgh. The Scottish section of the Deer Act calls for minimum figures, for Red, Sika, Fallow, of:-

bullet wt. 100grain, bullet must have predictable deformation, ie SJHP not fragmenting accutip &c;

MV 2450 fps,

ME 1750 ft.lbs

.243 acceptable, .270 Winchester recommended as heavier bullet gives better one-shot lethality.

Me in my armchair again but that's what the law says.

Ric

mr logic sorry if a mistuke you for decker what ever a get will get reloaded im gettin confused now whats the difference between 243 An 243 Win sorry as said i just shoot the 22 250 An a rimfire mainly do foxing wi a few roe

I have taken Snap Shots advice and looked up the 100grn .243 and the 120grn .260 as there is not a 100grn .260 to do a full side by side.

.243 is faster up to 100m but then loses out 70 mps faster at the muzzel but 200 mps less at 500m

.260 has 300 f/lb more at the muzzel and 400f/b more at 500m

Also according to the chart the .260 shoots flatter than the .243

So is that is the printed evidence that the .260 rem is superior to the .243 ???

Guest Fireball

I'm quite happy with reasoned debate, but I won't have wind-ups or abuse. So if you carry on that way then we'll just see about you sticking around...

I can assure you Logic what ever you say will have no bearing on what happens to Fireball. Your a light weight pal...

So what`s the favored choice then Shotgun??

Sorry for hijacking this thread 'shotgun' but I've a similar question I've been meaning to ask. I'm going on a combined stalk for fallow and muntjac and planning to use my .308 but have no idea on a suitable bullet as I've never shot either species. I currently have both 150gr Hornadys and 180gr Wins, would either of these be adequate?

Hi all fireball im confused now one part of me says get a 6x5x55 an keep my 22/250 ,the other bit says just get a 243 an use that wi 100g for everything ,foxing,roe ,fallow no fkn about rezoring playing wi different sizes o bullets ,find some thing that shoots an stick to it,im no one for taking shots at silly ranges ,dont need to if a cant get to within about 150 yards ,i tend to leave it theres always tomorrow,an before anyone starts im perfectly capable of taking longshots 300 yard foxs ,been there done that ,I really am toiling on this one i know everyone goes on about meat damage but to be honest im not to worried about that ,fallow are big beastys be plenty left for me ,im more concerned about dropping them where i shoot them,Iknow when then they first started shooting roe with the smaller calibers upin scotland,everyone moaned saying the calibers were to small ie 222,223 ,22/250 as said i now shoot with a 22/250 i had a 223 but just wanted the extra whack ,so got the 22/250 plus it was a cracking price,any way ive shot about 14 ,15 roe with it and only had one that ran from where it was shot,that was on wed just there ,only went 40 yards mind you when it was gralloched in the field the top of its heart was missing,i dunno how it managed a step to be honest,still waiting to find the difference between 243/243 winchester,a bit long winded i know ,cheers stuart..

.243 s the .243 win, or are you confusing it with the 6mm remington...?

if you want to shoot within the 150 yards mark, the .243 will be an excellent calibre, plus it'll have a good following if you decide to sell it, as its a popular calibre.

all the best with whatever you decide....

Snap.

Hi Shotgun most begginers start with a 243 and normaly use the 70g self loaded heads :D

Good to see your years of experience and helpful attitude to members showing through....if he uses this in Scotland he will get arrested and lose his FAC!!!

I'm sure he appreciates you are only trying to help him!

Hi Shotgun most begginers start with a 243 and normaly use the 70g self loaded heads :D

Go f*** yourself you f***ing retard.

I tend to try and steer clear of personal abuse but that's not on.

I said about roe, this is a fallow question.

Yes, 243 will see to a fallow no problem, but for them, you are going to want a decent deer bullet. Good heavy soft point or a Nosler Partition should do the trick.

It`s not on logic because you`ve lost control of your feelings..

You lack restraint and cannot handle pressure especially from fellow experience guy`s..

Anyway your little outburst is forgiven and was literally water off a ducks back ;)

I can see that your obviously uncomfortable sharing this excellent forum with other pro`s but i`m sure you`ll get use to it :D

Personally Shotgun i`d keep the 22.250 and invest in a 308 that way you have one hell of a foxing round and an excellent all round Deer calibre..

Regards Ace

Mykeeper friendcouldn't agree more with you're choice of gun .

atb anythingoes. :thumbs: