caliber for fallow

ive been offerd the chance to control some fallow deer so what would you recomend as the best caliber firearms officer says a can get prettymuch what ever a want looking for summit cheap to reload an buy prefer something not to thumpy i normally shoot with a 22 250 but thats not legal o an a done this on ma phone couldnt find full stops lol cheers stuart

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D hard one this mate, everyones opinion is diffrent , i shoot a lot of fallow with a 243 ,

my fallow are fed into a area to a half 45 gln drum full of corn & a high seat is placed 60 T 100 yrd away ,( this method i use to controlle the deer not sporting just a quick way to controll numbers ).

It depends on what type of land u stalk on & how close u will be getting to the deer,

a 6.5 is agood gun / .Hard one this everyone has a diffrent opinion..

Hi Shotgun most begginers start with a 243 and normaly use the 70g self loaded heads :D

Go f*** yourself you f***ing retard.

I tend to try and steer clear of personal abuse but that's not on.

I said about roe, this is a fallow question.

Yes, 243 will see to a fallow no problem, but for them, you are going to want a decent deer bullet. Good heavy soft point or a Nosler Partition should do the trick.

Guest Fireball
Hi Shotgun most begginers start with a 243 and normaly use the 70g self loaded heads :D

Yes, 243 will see to a fallow no problem, but for them, you are going to want a decent deer bullet. Good heavy soft point or a Nosler Partition should do the trick.

It`s not on logic because you`ve lost control of your feelings..

You lack restraint and cannot handle pressure especially from fellow experience guy`s..

Anyway your little outburst is forgiven and was literally water off a ducks back ;)

I can see that your obviously uncomfortable sharing this excellent forum with other pro`s but i`m sure you`ll get use to it :D

Personally Shotgun i`d keep the 22.250 and invest in a 308 that way you have one hell of a foxing round and an excellent all round Deer calibre..

Regards Ace

thanks for the replies well most of them ,Fire ball ,Decker its about time you to gave it a rest,weve enough with the antis without guys with the experience you pair have coming on an going at it hammer an tongs,Ok Decker may have made a mistake by posting those pics but as he says hes done nowt illegal,and id probably have done the same if asked but id have kept my mouth shut,Any way im thinking along the lines of a 6.5 x55 numerous bullet weights,an legal for all deer,an not as thumpy ,an id be keeping my 22/250 no way am i getting rid of that,cheers stuart

It`s not on logic because you`ve lost control of your feelings..

You lack restraint and cannot handle pressure especially from fellow experience guy`s..

Anyway your little outburst is forgiven and was literally water off a ducks back ;)

I can see that your obviously uncomfortable sharing this excellent forum with other pro`s but i`m sure you`ll get use to it :D

Personally Shotgun i`d keep the 22.250 and invest in a 308 that way you have one hell of a foxing round and an excellent all round Deer calibre..

Regards Ace

I can handle pressure just fine, what annoys me is ignorant people telling me something is illegal when I have proven that it isn't, or people who won't accept that there are two opinions. I have no problem with someone disagreeing with me, but the outrage that has been forthcoming really isn't on.

Neither are your little snide comments, if you cannot be adult I suggest you go someplace else.

Shotgun - 6.5x55 will do nicely indeed :)

Edited by Mr_Logic
ive been offerd the chance to control some fallow deer so what would you recomend as the best caliber firearms officer says a can get prettymuch what ever a want looking for summit cheap to reload an buy prefer something not to thumpy i normally shoot with a 22 250 but thats not legal o an a done this on ma phone couldnt find full stops lol cheers stuart

Since we're all being so rude I'll throw in my armchair expert view. Weatherby .240 Magnum. Muzzle velocity 3406 fps, ME 2576 ft.lbs. At 100yds velocity 3136 fps, Kinetic energy 2187 ft.lbs. Actually, any 6mm will be up to the job if the guy shooting it is also up to the job.

Ric

this debate could go on till next year......

my recommendation based on what you want would be a .243 plenty of ammo choice, plenty of rifle makes too.

fallow, try the nosler partition as already stated or the hornady 95 gr sst......

you could go 100 gr hornady soft point but i find most 1 in 10 twist don't like them......

shot a fallow last year at 282 yards a few steps and it went down......

if confidence is a problem and you want the extra reassurance the 6.5x55 is the calibre for you with 129 grain sst....

Snap.

Its about time i joined in !

If you want a good round for all types of deer and you already reload then it has to be .260 rem !

If you want a very good off the shelf round then my next choice would be 6.5x55

Then .308

And as for .243 why ? it kill's deer without question but its a varmint round that smashes meat ! And you have one of those with your .22-250 :whistling:

if the calibre s going to be reloaded for, then you can adjust the velocity to suit, but proper bullet choice is key...

any bullet will damage meat, and no-one can say it won't as bullet impact area, will play a key role...

Snap.