What gun to buy the nephew

Well I'm looking to buy a gun for my nephew he will be 10 in november :gunsmilie:

What would you recommend

hi ziggy

whats your budget?

regards

davy

Most properly end up as a second gun for me so let's say between 200 and 400 quid

Well I'm looking to buy a gun for my nephew he will be 10 in november :gunsmilie:

What would you recommend

hi ziggy

whats your budget?

regards

davy

Most properly end up as a second gun for me so let's say between 200 and 400 quid

i would also say a AAS200 nice "N" small for a boy of that age & light too.but dont rule out a spinger there are some good ones out there,as aron has pointed out

regards

davy

Hi, mate.

If you can find one, the HW50's a top little rifle for a youngster. Light and handles and points as a gun should.

The 97 and 95 could well be rather weighty for a ten year old unless he's built like a twenty year old........

Cheers.

Edit to say..... If he learns to shoot with a spring gun first, it'll give him a better understanding of recoil and how to hold and shoot a gun. Pre-charged air guns tend to be a little 'dead' on discharge and don't give the novice shooter the feel of guns in general, especialy if they want to move on to other forms of shooting.

Edited by andyfr1968

Fully agree with the comments recommending a springer. I would advise going for a good second hand gun rather than a cheaper new one. I'd look for something thats a complete kit (scope, gun, bag, etc) and maybe a little battered round the stock to keep the overall cost down. I bought a BSA Airporter this way and as a fixed barrell gun they're deadly accurate (although maybe a tad tricky to cock for a 10 year old)

The reason I say this as when I was a 10 year old I probably would have added a few dents and dinges myself!

Theres a good website called Gun Trader, even if you don't find what you want on there it will give you an idea of how much each gun is selling for.

As a final note, don't fall into the notion of buying a lower powered gun for him. get a full (sub 12ft/lbs) gun for him. The recoil is hardly any different from the lower powered guns

Fully agree with the comments recommending a springer. I would advise going for a good second hand gun rather than a cheaper new one. I'd look for something thats a complete kit (scope, gun, bag, etc) and maybe a little battered round the stock to keep the overall cost down. I bought a BSA Airporter this way and as a fixed barrell gun they're deadly accurate (although maybe a tad tricky to cock for a 10 year old)

The reason I say this as when I was a 10 year old I probably would have added a few dents and dinges myself!

Theres a good website called Gun Trader, even if you don't find what you want on there it will give you an idea of how much each gun is selling for.

As a final note, don't fall into the notion of buying a lower powered gun for him. get a full (sub 12ft/lbs) gun for him. The recoil is hardly any different from the lower powered guns

Agree with the above, tho' the BSA is an excellent gun (I have two), it may me on the heavy side for a 10yo.

rgds

Swampy

Nng with no "i"

Take him to a gunshop and try a few for size, weight etc...

Then considder your options around what fits him now and what he will require in a couple of years time.

Start with a PCP then when he's ready introduce him to real marksmanship with a springer ;)

The PCP 1st route will give him an easy intro to the basics and will most certainly boost his confidance as a marksman :yes:

I think a lively springer 1st may put him off and dent his ego :( PCP though will have him grinning like a Cheshire Moggie :) and pinning for the next shot from day one :yes:

Phantom

Edited by Phantom
AA S200,cracking little gun,and small and light enough for the young un. :thumbs:

Must be my scope cuz mine weighs a tonn and a half!! :icon_redface: (trust me I'm no whimp!)

Oh yeah suppose all that glass will add a few pounds ;)

Phantom