Gyr/Prairie out

graham01

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well after less than 10minutes out today Max had another kill at 1.6,i had cut him hard and he looked a little lethargic when he took to the air, landing imedietly in a small tree.After we had walked past him i called him and he took off instantly only to vere almost at a right angle and dissapear out of sight behind a hedge.We couldnt see him but could faintly hear bells,anyway we followed our ears(or Micks) and found him tucked in the side of a fence 150 yds away on his prize.

Edited by graham01
  • 4 months later...

he was a complete twat yesterday and for that reason he wasnt flown today and hopefully fly better on a very empty stomach tomorrow.

?????? :whistling:

There are things you cant put on an open forum,ecpescially when they kill lets just say things they not supposed to.The mistake i made with this hawk was taking him on in the first place against a few better falconers judgements.He liked killing things that were not acceptable to me or Mick,and we were in danger of losing permission over it so he had to go.You can limit check to a point, but not when a hawk will fly 1/2 mile over a field of crows to kill a much loved prey item.I hope this has clarrified things for you in the politest manor i can muster.

he was a complete twat yesterday and for that reason he wasnt flown today and hopefully fly better on a very empty stomach tomorrow.

?????? :whistling:

There are things you cant put on an open forum,ecpescially when they kill lets just say things they not supposed to.The mistake i made with this hawk was taking him on in the first place against a few better falconers judgements.He liked killing things that were not acceptable to me or Mick,and we were in danger of losing permission over it so he had to go.You can limit check to a point, but not when a hawk will fly 1/2 mile over a field of crows to kill a much loved prey item.I hope this has clarrified things for you in the politest manor i can muster.

He was Marks bird before was'nt he ?..

Mark loves him and still does,he killed all and sundry with him as well,in fact more so.Has loved chasing pigeons from day one with each owner and no one has stopped him,he killed gulls while on tip but also other "things" and this has stayed with him up to now.I actually enjoyed flying him if im honest but he was far to set in his ways.I actually started getting him to stoop pheasant before selling him and he knocked a couple of hens out of the air but lost them on the ground,he did chase cocks also,these were spotted with bins and flushed while he waited on(in no style as im no game hawker with pitches of no more than 150ft)If i wasnt flying on land that had anual bird counts by i think coucil officials(im not sure who they were)and the farmer seeing him take birds he shouldnt have a few times id have kept him for hedge bashing,but i was asked politely by him to try and stop him or else.Mark had first dibs on him but couldnt pick him up even at a reduced price,which i am a bit sad about as Mark is a sound lad and wish i could of affrded to just let him have him.

Edited by graham01