Gyr/Prairie out

graham01

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just pulled my gyr/prairie out of the chamber yesterday evening he weighed 1lb 12oz so he still needs to lose about 2oz to be at flying weight.

Here are a few pics of him he looks the spit of your bird. he looks a little nervous in the pics as he didnt like my new pups very much but he will settle down fine in a couple of days.

Cog09057.jpg

Cog09055.jpg

Cog09059.jpg

all the best Terence

Just pulled my gyr/prairie out of the chamber yesterday evening he weighed 1lb 12oz so he still needs to lose about 2oz to be at flying weight.

Here are a few pics of him he looks the spit of your bird. he looks a little nervous in the pics as he didnt like my new pups very much but he will settle down fine in a couple of days.

Cog09057.jpg

Cog09055.jpg

Cog09059.jpg

all the best Terence

He is the spit of Max,a bit heavier he flies at 1.61/2 ish

[quote

He is the spit of Max,a bit heavier he flies at 1.61/2 ish

They are very similar looking birds, one of my mates flew a brother to mine and he was almost pure white just a few black markings on the primaries. I do like the gyr/prairies the are such ballsy birds and mine at least is a sweetheart.

How is your bird coming on, mine is a couple of weeks of getting fit enough to hunt seriously.

all the best Terence

He is doing ok but still needs some work,he is a naturally lazy bird because he has been used on landfill so is used to sitting for long periods.Im trying my damdest to get him out of the habbit and he is comming along in that respect,also he has never really been stooped to a lure,another thing we are working on lol so getting him fit is a ball ache.I mix his fitnees regime up with long luring,stooping and dragged lure work its a slow but progressive regime which in the long run will work.He self hunts quite a lot and has had several kills this season already from a waiting on position and he loooovvvees pigeon far too much :angry:

He is doing ok but still needs some work,he is a naturally lazy bird because he has been used on landfill so is used to sitting for long periods.Im trying my damdest to get him out of the habbit and he is comming along in that respect,also he has never really been stooped to a lure,another thing we are working on lol so getting him fit is a ball ache.I mix his fitnees regime up with long luring,stooping and dragged lure work its a slow but progressive regime which in the long run will work.He self hunts quite a lot and has had several kills this season already from a waiting on position and he loooovvvees pigeon far too much :angry:

My bird mostly checks at quail over anything else, he will spot a covey 1/4 of a mile away and take off flying low and fast at them. He will slash them on the ground and you will see a quail go tumbling along the ground after a hit, I call it bowling for quail :doh: it is not a classic flight but oh so very funny. I flew him free yesterday evening and he was great, still very unfit but he wanted to fly and go up. We flushed two hares, the first wasnt seen by the dogs and Cog refused it, the second was flushed by my lurcher bitch and Cog wanted that one. Unfortunately it turned uphill and Cog was having a hard time closing the gap, then my lurcher bitch who had been pushing the hare hard pulled up. My old lurcher continued the chase which went right past my car, Cog decided he was tired at this point and landed on the roof, my old lurcher came back after a few minutes.

Once Cog gets fit flights like this will be easy for him. The downside from the session was that my lurcher bitch had run over a broken bottle and gashed her hock open, $94 and ten stitches later she is OK but wont be running for 2 weeks.

I will probably work Cog to the swung lure and the dummy bunny lure machine to get him fit, I may do a little bit of kiting later if I feel in the mood to fly some ducks.

Good luck on the crows. Terence

Sorry to hear about the dog Terence,hope it makes a full recovery.I dont understand why more people dont fly Prairie hybrids(there again ive only flew one) for me the agressivness is an attraction and not a detraction,i like a bird with fire!

All the best

Graham

p.s im glad we dont have quail over in my kneck of the woods as im sure he would crawl over hot coals to get em too :icon_eek:

Edited by graham01
Sorry to hear about the dog Terence,hope it makes a full recovery.I dont understand why more people dont fly Prairie hybrids(there again ive only flew one) for me the agressivness is an attraction and not a detraction,i like a bird with fire!

All the best

Graham

p.s im glad we dont have quail over in my kneck of the woods as im sure he would crawl over hot coals to get em too :icon_eek:

The dog is doing fine and will be back up in 2 weeks, which will give me time to get the bird fit everything should come together by mid October. The weather has cooled down very nicely it is 20% cooler than normal right now so I am taking advantage, nothing like cool weather for motivating a gyr/prairie.

My bird is agressive on game but very gentle with me, he would never consider biting me although I have seen some mean females.

all the best Terence

Myself and Mick went out to fly Max today,he was bang on weight and had a 24 hr hunger,so i thought "a good flying sesion".Well what came about was a different story.I cast Max off to stoop him,and he just climbed(which on weight and in windy conditions was unusual).He was about 1/2 mile away when he went and scattered Gulls on the neighbouring Golf course and went out of sight.Out came the telem and we tracked him for about 3 miles on foot until we came to some allotments (i had seriously forgot they were there) i had a signal fro inside the allotment perimiter,then nothing.I was panicking by then and said to Mick im sure a pigeon lad had caught him on a kill and knocked him on the head and burried him.We drove around the outside with no signal,then drove to the highest point around Middlesbrough and had nothing.We rang the IBR,RSPCA and the local owl rescue centre (most people first port of acall with a caught BOP),nothing.I dropped Mick at home and headed back to mine before i went back out,i then got a call from Mick saying a pigeon lad had him and he was alive and sat in an aivery!.It turns out by unbeleivable coincidence that Mick knew the guy well,i drove over and he told me that he was stood in him alottment (a very very impressive pigeon loft set up) when Max came out of nowere and hit the mesh front with a BANG he then turned and flew at the pigeons on the opposite side,he stunned himself a little on the mesh,so the guy opened the empty aivery door and to his suprise Max flew in obviously looking for pigeons and the guy shut him in.He even knecked one of his surplus birds and fed him!,before getting the IBR number off his leg and contacting them.I cannot thank Steve enough for doing this for me and a he will be having a few drinks on me tonightI am at a bit of a crossroads with Max though now as his fondness of pigeons is stopping any progress i am making with him.

I have a PeregrinexPrarie thats been badly food imprinted lovely bird until food is involved had the damn thing leave its food and sink its talons into my leg then start biting until it realises I aint gonna die and gives up. Took 20 minutes the first time but only took about 7 the last time

Like the bird and I am working on her as she is a strong flyer but a nightmare on kills

I agree though they are lovely looking birds and well worth flying with the attitude they have

Keep posting guys I am finding it interesting to read how you are getting on with GyrxPraries not something I would choose to fly due to both species being arsey birds and crossing them surely makes for super aresy birds. Although persistence and strength of flight must be pretty good :clapper:

I have a PeregrinexPrarie thats been badly food imprinted lovely bird until food is involved had the damn thing leave its food and sink its talons into my leg then start biting until it realises I aint gonna die and gives up. Took 20 minutes the first time but only took about 7 the last time

Like the bird and I am working on her as she is a strong flyer but a nightmare on kills

I agree though they are lovely looking birds and well worth flying with the attitude they have

Keep posting guys I am finding it interesting to read how you are getting on with GyrxPraries not something I would choose to fly due to both species being arsey birds and crossing them surely makes for super aresy birds. Although persistence and strength of flight must be pretty good :clapper:

My bird is an odd example of the prairie hybrid to say the least. I got him secondhand after three years as a duck hawk, he was wild as hell and acted like a chamber raised bird. In the field he was moody and would turn off for no reason, get spooked or take stand for forty minutes.

Then I lost him for two and a half years and he came back a different bird, he now acts like an imprint right up to donating semen all summer. He is very tame, calm and consistent while he is sexually vocal in the summer he is quiet the rest of the time. His manners are great no mantling on the kill, biting or footing. All in all I enjoy having him around and he is a great hunter, I will stick with him for some time to come.

all the best Terence

It has taken near enough 4 days for Max's weight to come down to a acceptable level ( 1.6 5/8ths from 1.9 1/2!!!) He has been just completely unmanagable for this time,at one point hanging from the glove like he was fresh from the chamber!.Today he was mad as stink in the morning,but by 4.45 he had calmed down( agood soaking helped) he still baited away until he saw the chick wing then he was my friend again.Took him up on one of my Dairy farms and cast him off,he ptched straight away onto the cattleshed,i called him in and he came instantly,he passed the lure 15 times and took his feed,he was immaculate.I cast him off again and he flew upwind and turned and motored in so fast he caught me out big style so ifed him his second chick.Third time he circled me then came in passing about 8 times before landing on a haystack,i dropped the lure and he came in,i made him pass another three times and gave him it,he was blowing a bit by then.He is a hard nut to crack this one and im struggling to get inside his head,maybe tommorow