im new to here so hope this works. im looking for advice on where to to go shooting (ayrshire) and a good intermediate rifle

Hi and Welcome to the good ship THL :drinks:

Sorry can't help with where, but the rifle depends on you budget.

I'm all for saying my AA S200 is great intermediate Rifle, but I also reckon my SMK SX mod19 is great as a hunter for those who are a competant springer marksman :rocker: However, if you have lots of dosh something more upmarket may be a place to start.

So what are you after, Springer, Rammer, or PCP?

Are you a decent shot? and whats your budget?

Phantom

Edited by Phantom

fantastic , only just starting using thisa site and a reply already, think im going to like this site.

right now i have no preference as to what type of rifle i get and budget depends on value for money

but would like to get a cheap one to start of with around £200 (might not even need to be new.

i havent used a rifle in a few years so aim might need some work but in the army i had a 45mm grouping

at 100m (but that was with 5.57mm rounds)

Guest Scuba1
whatever you decide mate prob be a bit of a let down compared to SA80 5.56 :clapper:

Lets just say that a sub 12 ft/lbs .22 air rifle does not shoot quite as flat as a .223.

On a more serious note, have a look at the for sale section here in the forum, as there are quite a few guns up for grabs most of the time.

ATB

Michael

hi snipe! for £200 you could probably get a decent spring, something of the HW variety will do you well, click here (click on products then go on long range rifles) : http://www.weihrauch-sport.de/englisch/e_s...ite/e_index.htm anything on this page will make a good springer excluding the hw100 which is quite an expensive pcp. on the other hand if you want a pcp (a rifle which is filled up with a pump or a diving tank, whereas the a springer is powerd by you cokcing the spring with your arm) then you could get a second Air Arms s200 for that price which are decent guns and probably the most popular air arms pcp of all.

Edited by aaronpigeonplucker
whatever you decide mate prob be a bit of a let down compared to SA80 5.56 :clapper:

Lets just say that a sub 12 ft/lbs .22 air rifle does not shoot quite as flat as a .223.

On a more serious note, have a look at the for sale section here in the forum, as there are quite a few guns up for grabs most of the time.

ATB

Michael

sorry i stand corrected

The Pro's and Con's

Springer, as Aaron says, self contained. The power is provided by you compressing the spring.

Get some really good springers and scopes for what your allowing.

PCP, are totally recoilless and are usually silenced. But then you have to fork out for the charging gear such as a scuba tank or a stirrup pump.

The advantage of a stirrup pump is you get a hell of a workout while you pump :download: although most people that I know can't handle it ;)

There are some really fantastic deals to be had on the second hand market. I got an AA-S200 PCP, Gun bag, 3-9x56mm scope, tin of pellets and a stirrup pump and connector hose for £200 (thanks to a mate of mine, who happens to be a 'not for profit' RFD).

As been mentioned, have a looksee in the for sale section.

Good luck in your search.

Phantom