i am doing a lot more shooting in my free time now as well as my trapping but there are few things that need ironing out to get more efficent;

i usually go for the mooching and stalking approach as i have a lot of ground to cover and shoot from mainly prone,kneeling and sitting (im a terrible unsupported standing shot)

ok so i need some small bits of kit to help me out. a pellets pouch or holder becuase i currently put them in my chest pockets and loads are getting bent whilst crawling, i want something cheap and practical no frills

something to carry what i shoot in that will not hinder stalking and crawling

a sunshade of some description and maybe one of them ones that goes on the eyepiece end (thats a technical term :icon_redface: ) are there any quick fixes for any of these and obviously they need not to hinder my hunting by being overly visible etc

thanks in advance

atb rob

1. a smal drawstring cotton bag should do, fix it to your belt. or get a pellet mate, there like a strip of leather with holes in nwhich holds your pellets.

2.dont really know what you mean when you say something to carry to shoot in, i am assuming you mean shoot on? please say.

3. can't find a sunshade you can fit on the end of your scope sorry, but on the eye piece (the bit you look through) you can fit this little gadget, its on the bottom of the page http://www.jsramsbottom.com/cgi-bin/jsr.cg...accessories.HTM

Edited by aaronpigeonplucker

There are a lot of scopes that do not have sunshades made for them, find a piece of kitchen drain pipe or gutter down pipe, (the lighter weight, the better) that is a reasonable fit on the outside of the scope, if it's loose, a couple of turns of insulation tape on the scope will cure it, paint it black inside and out, and slide on, looks as good as a genuine shade.

A back pack or fanny pack is the answer to the carry problem.

There are a lot of scopes that do not have sunshades made for them, find a piece of kitchen drain pipe or gutter down pipe, (the lighter weight, the better) that is a reasonable fit on the outside of the scope, if it's loose, a couple of turns of insulation tape on the scope will cure it, paint it black inside and out, and slide on, looks as good as a genuine shade.

A back pack or fanny pack is the answer to the carry problem.

that sunshade one sounds a good idea, aaron thanks for your help i meant something to carry what i have shot in like the odd bunny and pigeon.

as for pellets i want something easy to load up quickly and access quickly for a followup shot just as a precaution.

i might try and get a cheap bum bag or something i was thinking of a belt pouch but it needs to be quiet as well those little stiff leather round pouches with the popper closure have caught my eye, there are a few on ebay. has anyone got any experience with them?

can you get flexible rubber tube with a 40mm inside diameter as a sunshade that would be flexy

cheers so far guys

Not sure of what you will need to carry your Quarry but get a walking stick with antler V you can use them to carry rabbit that are legged on the V or if you start getting alot slide them up the stick and put it over your shoulder the stick is also great for your shooting as you can rest your rifle on it to take a standing shot.

the other option is to leg the rabbit and hang it in the hedge and collect it on the way back. put them up the stick that you have used to shoot off and Roberts your mothers brother ;);););););)

Game bag is the other option but only good for a few!!!!

Otherwise leg the rabbit and hang them from the back of your belt ;);)

P.S dont go buying stuff you dont need and if you do make sure its versitile.

Pellet bags i wouldn't bother stick them in your pocket still even in a bag they get damaged unless you get a solid leather one and they cost a bit :angry:

What you think?

i use a stick in this way and put my pellets in my pocket!

i also hang Quarry in the hedge if i can saves carrying them!

Edited by CUPCAKE118
ok get what you mean, you'll probably want a game bag. if youre not shooting more than 4 rabbits at a time then a small game bag should do. any more and you can either leg them over a branch of hazel or carry them in a monster game bag such as this: http://www.euroguns.co.uk/acatalog/Game_Bags_Carriers.html

single strap bags are a pain in the ass because if you crouch etc they swing round in front of you.

i think i am going to settle for a small canvas rucksack so i have rooms for the game a drink and possibly some binos and lunch i might have bagged another field on my main permission which is 'crawling' with rabbits and we've all heard that before.

With regard to the sunshade issue, I wear a baseball cap and position the peak over the top of the scope.

On the pellet front, putting them in your pocket or a bag damages some pellets (especially the air arms field diablos) get yourself a piece of aircell foam (you know the white plasticy foam) and cut some slits in it to about half the depth of the foam, you can wedge pellets in there.

I have a multishot and thats enough to go out into the fields and keep my tin of pellets in the car. I used to wedge my pellets in the vents of the stock of my Airsporter, great feature!

All I use is an army navy store canvas bag, its big enough for my camera, bottle of drink and a sarnie, my guns leaning on it in the pix on my last topic, when it gets mucky I just throw it in the washing machine, also my gun bag rolls up and fits in it, its a nylon type gun slip, saves carrying it around, I dont carry game around, I leg rabbits and hang them out of the way of corvids and foxes, then pick them up on the way back, that way there's always the chance of whacking another rabbit that may have surfaced :D

cheers bud college holiday rules you should get a teaching job if you want the holidays

I would like a ruddy JOB at the moment, holidays I can live without, well I could with my last job anyways!

Used to work from 05:30 up till 23:00 on many a day, got a lay in on saturday til 08:00 and finished at 13:00 Got the full day off on Sunday most weeks.

Been on sick now for 13 sodding months now.

Funilly enough, years ago I was asked to become an IT tutor at Goole College. turned em down.

Bad move? perhaps. Just looking at setting an online shop up now :)

Phantom

cheers bud college holiday rules you should get a teaching job if you want the holidays

I would like a ruddy JOB at the moment, holidays I can live without, well I could with my last job anyways!

Used to work from 05:30 up till 23:00 on many a day, got a lay in on saturday til 08:00 and finished at 13:00 Got the full day off on Sunday most weeks.

Been on sick now for 13 sodding months now.

Funilly enough, years ago I was asked to become an IT tutor at Goole College. turned em down.

Bad move? perhaps. Just looking at setting an online shop up now :)

Phantom

if you dont mind me asking why are you on sick? and online wheeler dealer can be profitable i have heard ;)