Found out whats wrong with Tia today. :(

Theres only one name for the pup, Jesus :D

Is that becuase it's the first thing everyone will say when they see it? :clapper:

That's the main reason I'm so worried Skycat, between her age and the size of her compared to the pup/pups I can almost guaruntee trouble! Although she's very small for her breed, it was down to a medical prob rather than genetics, so her pups will probably be standard size Bullmastiffs X to a large Bullcross (Roo's 70lb and 25"ats)

I don't think she'll be the same after this!

Tia was one of only two pups, and they were both big, Her brother was the biggest and she needed a C-section in the end as he got stuck.

I was thinking of putting Roo to Stud for a pup in about a years time if he kept working as he is at the moment, but I never wanted to breed from Tia, they seem to have so many problems during birth that I didn't want her to go through it.

I wish I had paid the £300 they wanted to get her spayed now.

Still no use in regrets, just got to get on with it.

Cheers again everyone.

Luke.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Luke

I'm pleased you've put this post up as Nicola was a little concerned at the weekend as your lass was so worried about the bitch. I've just phoned Nicola to let her know.

My advice would be to keep the bitch active, keep taking her walks and don't over feed her now. You can get the grub into her once she's whelped little and often is the key mate. My old whippet bitch had 10 pups and looked like a cruelty case after she'd whelped, after a week she looked spot on and was eating 3lbs of lamb as well as redmills racer a day!!!. For the first 3-4 days i only use carpet in the whelping box and i fix it down with screwed down strips of wood, this stops pups getting wrapped up in blankets and getting laid on etc.

You'll know when the bitch is ready to whelp as they usually become very restless and start scratching about trying to make a nest. If your wanting to get your bitch spayed after the pups mate it's £150 at my vets for a mastiff bitch. Bring her up here mate and spend a few days ferreting and lamping :drinks:

My advice would be to keep the bitch active, keep taking her walks and don't over feed her now. You can get the grub into her once she's whelped little and often is the key mate. My old whippet bitch had 10 pups and looked like a cruelty case after she'd whelped, after a week she looked spot on and was eating 3lbs of lamb as well as redmills racer a day!!!. For the first 3-4 days i only use carpet in the whelping box and i fix it down with screwed down strips of wood, this stops pups getting wrapped up in blankets and getting laid on etc.

We had a Border Terrier whelp a litter of 10 recently, she looked absolutely dreadful after she'd had them all. Took some time to build her back up but by the time the pups were 5 or 6 weeks old she was spot on.

Like Mally says... keep her active right up until the day. We always keep ours active, I think it helps with the labour / birth. Plus, if she's getting near the birth, a brisk walk round the block might just help get things going.

One more thing... if you see any horrible coloured discharge that smells... vets asap. Usually a sign of infection.

shell

Thank you Mally, Nicola was a gem! gave the girls Coke and Chocolate, and my wife a nice hot cup of Tea whilst they were waiting for me to get back! and also she was the one that said shes definately pregnant the vets wrong go for a scan!!! so can't thank her enough! :signthankspin:

Half the price of our vet!!! :icon_eek: thats crazy! it's the only reason I hadn't got it done was the cost!

:clapper::rofl: Cupid! Are you suggesting God's into Beastiality?!

Referance the bedding, that was the next question I was going to ask, Tia keeps dragging it in to a pile then laying on it, she's started nesting and getting restless! (so not long now I guess)

I keep straightening it out only for her to pile it up again. but you've answered the question already. just carpet or similar for first few days.

Quick pic of the Whelping box so far, I'll clear everything out and get some blankets pinned down instead.

Photo-0001.jpg

Thanks again everyone.

Luke.

It only took about 5 mins with a saw, hammer and nails, but thank you anyway! I couldn't find a hasp to round of the corners so used the chequered handle of a socket wrench! LOL worked a treat!

I'll keep everyone updated!

Thanks

Luke.

Thank you MLB :D

Pup Nº3 born at 1.35 it's a another Bitch!!!

But

Pup Nº4 was born at 2.15 but it's intestines were hanging out, Got to the Vets and she fought until her last breath, even the vet was upset as he said she's a proper little fighter. Apparently he wouldn't usually try and put them back in but as she was still fighting half hour later he had a go but the main blood vessel for the intestines had split so he couldn't do anything and had to put her down.

A bit gutted but Tia's got 3 very healthy and very hungry little pups.

Mum and pups are doing great, we've changed the bedding, fed and watered Tia. and got them settled for the night.

Quick pic of mum and pups.

Photo-0005.jpg

Thank you everyone for your help so far, I'm sure I'll have more questions in the morning!!!

Cheers

Luke.

Thank you MLB :D

Pup Nº3 born at 1.35 it's a another Bitch!!!

But

Pup Nº4 was born at 2.15 but it's intestines were hanging out, Got to the Vets and she fought until her last breath, even the vet was upset as he said she's a proper little fighter. Apparently he wouldn't usually try and put them back in but as she was still fighting half hour later he had a go but the main blood vessel for the intestines had split so he couldn't do anything and had to put her down.

A bit gutted but Tia's got 3 very healthy and very hungry little pups.

Mum and pups are doing great, we've changed the bedding, fed and watered Tia. and got them settled for the night.

Quick pic of mum and pups.

Photo-0005.jpg

Thank you everyone for your help so far, I'm sure I'll have more questions in the morning!!!

Cheers

Luke.

Congratulations mate :clapper: and don't worry if the bitch is looking like a she's into it then let nature take it's course. She'll do you proud.

ATB Kie

Congratulations! :clapper: And well done to you!

Glad it all went well and she birthed them all ok. Shame about the 4th pup, but that's nature. At least you tried for it.

She looks very content in that last pic.

All in all, considering how worried you were etc she's done fantastic!

Shell