Feckin sound moderator

i have had this sound moderator on for some time now with now problems accurate as ever pellet on pellet at 30 yrds with my raider10 and i went out to reset the zero just now and i have had my groups go to shit.

post-29555-1249748966_thumb.jpg

i put about thirty pellets through this target all aimed at the top of the black so

first i looked at the internals of the thing(swift rifle silencer) and there seems to be nothing wrong no sign of the pellets clipping the baffles or anything

post-29555-1249749271_thumb.jpg

so i fired ten pellets without the moderator and i was having sort of 20p groups at 30 yards so something is wrong with both gun and silencer

i carnt work it out so its up to you THL (i know foxon might be able to help anyway) to get my groups back :D

Richard

Edited by RaiderBoy

Looking at those washers, I'd say its clipping as they all look to be bent from the inner hole out!

They should all be flat.

As for 20p groups at 30 yards, that will do the job for any noggin you aim at :)

Phantom

Edited by Phantom
Looking at those washers, I'd say its clipping as they all look to be bent from the inner hole out!

They should all be flat.

As for 20p groups at 30 yards, that will do the job for any noggin you aim at :)

Phantom

ahh sorry i forgot to mention that the washers are shaped like that anyway, its to help with airflow or something inside the moderator.

i know 20p groups are good enough but if its a problem inside the internals that could get worse its better to indicate sooner than later.

Cheers phantom :thumbs:

Richard

Guest buster321c

The first washer on the left hand side of that picture should not be like that mate , i am 100% sure . its clipping . Ide check the barrel and the mod for a bend .

You should have gone to speck savers ;)

The first washer on the left hand side of that picture should not be like that mate , i am 100% sure . its clipping . Ide check the barrel and the mod for a bend .

You should have gone to speck savers ;)

cheers buster ive just noticed it. its just the same as all the other washers just its the wrong way around it does look the same as the other when its turned around. also just under the fireing mechanism where i put my hand i cant feel a little puff of air coming out, this could be some use to you

Richard

i have had this sound moderator on for some time now with now problems accurate as ever pellet on pellet at 30 yrds with my raider10 and i went out to reset the zero just now and i have had my groups go to shit.

i put about thirty pellets through this target all aimed at the top of the black so

first i looked at the internals of the thing(swift rifle silencer) and there seems to be nothing wrong no sign of the pellets clipping the baffles or anything

so i fired ten pellets without the moderator and i was having sort of 20p groups at 30 yards so something is wrong with both gun and silencer

i carnt work it out so its up to you THL (i know foxon might be able to help anyway) to get my groups back :D

Richard

Hi Richard,

Common fault with the felt & washer system, when placed & tightened the felt will distort causeing all sorts of problems, all it needs is for one of those felt fibres to throw a pellet, do you have the tool to align when assembled, it will be a steel rod that runs through the centre keeping all the baffles true while you tighten the end cap.

foxon.

I can only suggest that you try fitting the mod and trying without the internal washers then build up with the washers one at a time. I know its a pain in the butt, however it may indicate if it is clipping one or more of the baffles.

Phantom

I'd say drilling the centers bigger will render the silencer less effective. TBH those washers don't look right to me although there all bent the same way so you could be correct saying It's supposed to be like that or you have just put so many pellets through the rifle with It clipping It's nailed all the washers!

If you have fired decent groups with the silencer off It has to be the silencer causing the problems. Re-assemble It and look through for any fibres etc that the pellet will catch on. If you get a good lighter with a long flame that will usually singe all of them back but obviously don't leave It on too long! There is a guy on youtbe, gunvidder I think his name is. I'm sure he shows the internals of a swift silencer..... May be worth checking out or asking him If there supposed to be like that.

If you have the use of another silencer with flat washers In give that a try. It will be easy to see then where It is clipping allthough you may ruin a washer or 2. Check the end cap too for grey scuffs.

You havn't or anyone else hasn't dropped the rifle or done anything to throw the silencer off center? Perhasp the adaptor Is bent slightly which In turn Is putting the silencer slightly on the piss?

I'd say drilling the centers bigger will render the silencer less effective. TBH those washers don't look right to me although there all bent the same way so you could be correct saying It's supposed to be like that or you have just put so many pellets through the rifle with It clipping It's nailed all the washers!

If you have fired decent groups with the silencer off It has to be the silencer causing the problems. Re-assemble It and look through for any fibres etc that the pellet will catch on. If you get a good lighter with a long flame that will usually singe all of them back but obviously don't leave It on too long! There is a guy on youtbe, gunvidder I think his name is. I'm sure he shows the internals of a swift silencer..... May be worth checking out or asking him If there supposed to be like that.

just looked maty j :thumbs: and there was quite a few fibers sticking out that could contact the pellet i have now singed them away with a lighter.

also if it was clipping the baffles wouldent the pellets all be going to one side of the target :thumbs: .

Richard

Richard

Hi Richard,

Common fault with the felt & washer system, when placed & tightened the felt will distort causeing all sorts of problems, all it needs is for one of those felt fibres to throw a pellet, do you have the tool to align when assembled, it will be a steel rod that runs through the centre keeping all the baffles true while you tighten the end cap.

foxon.

How would i go about aquiring one of these tools?. im pretty sure that its straight because if i point the silencer towards a light and tilt it in different directions i cannot see the edge off the baffles if you know what i mean.

Richard

Just looked at gunvidders video on the swift, and indeed the baffles do have that shape bends in them.

But my guess is its still clipping somewhere down amongst them.

Phantom

Darryl AKA Gunvidder is a member on here theinvisiblescarecrow his screen name is i think and im sure he will be along soon.

Richard