few more rats

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

another good session on the rats,due to rats falling into tight gaps and the cover being so thick its impossible to locate all the bodies but we got enough back for a photo.

i get that pretty often,i very rarely blank because i usually find a few that can be shot/taken with a dog but i know that when i go out tonight on another place ill see rats around the calf pens that

Posted Images

good goin chap!

i was out after them last night but blanked, saw loads of them but just no chance of a safe shot! :wallbash:

cheers

hyperion

i get that pretty often,i very rarely blank because i usually find a few that can be shot/taken with a dog but i know that when i go out tonight on another place ill see rats around the calf pens that are happily sat there feeding which i cannot take a shot at.all any of us can do is to go hunting as much as possible..................numbers are nice but you can only take whats there infront of a safe backdrop :thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1
Guest hyperion
good goin chap!

i was out after them last night but blanked, saw loads of them but just no chance of a safe shot! :wallbash:

cheers

hyperion

i get that pretty often,i very rarely blank because i usually find a few that can be shot/taken with a dog but i know that when i go out tonight on another place ill see rats around the calf pens that are happily sat there feeding which i cannot take a shot at.all any of us can do is to go hunting as much as possible..................numbers are nice but you can only take whats there infront of a safe backdrop :thumbs::thumbs:

crafty little buggers have set up shop inside the compresser house for the dairy! no chance of a safe shoy in there!

i wouldnt say you need lightning reflexes for ratting,i only aim for the head of rats that are stood still.however it pays to know your permission well and really get to know your guns aim points.

i had an hour out tonight with an old school mate of mine that is a keen fisherman but is wanting to do more with dogs and air-rifles.he has a spring gun but no lamp so isnt as yet geared up for the type of shooting i do but i managed to bag 8 rats to give him some kind of idea of whats involved.

before i left the farmer came out to say he thinks it might be an idea to go over earlier with the dogs and i saw a few tonight that the dogs should have a good chance of catching.

06082009231.jpg

Well you certainly took a good few safe shots there buddy :clapper:

Am I correct in saying you need lighning reflexes for ratting?

Phantom

Its almost impossible to shoot a moving rat. its difficult to track them through the scope, especially in dark conditions.

Best to shoot them as they're feeding/drinking, or when they've stopped for a little look the see if the coast is clear.

Although I like shooting rabbits and enjoy the bonus of the meat afterwards, I always think a rat is the most satisfying of kills.... and our feral cats don't complain either!

tonight i had a look out with our lass and her dog and i took my lurcher.i think we went too early before the rats were feeding but we got a couple .both our lamps were playing up and needed temporary repairs.we put the dogs away and i shot another two rats around the slurry pit but its not safe to get the bodies.that made it five rats and i bagged a rabbit.a poor night really what with getting the timing wrong and lamps braking but not a complete waste.

fishing tomorrow and then ill have to solder up the lamp before i can do anymore shooting. :clapper:

07082009232.jpg

nice bit of shooting there pointer :clapper: i would like to do some more of it but i haven't seen any around my permissions.i must admit i did enjoy the week end i spent at Hyperion's place doing a few rats with me NV scope,it was good fun.

regards

davy

nice bit of shooting there pointer :clapper: i would like to do some more of it but i haven't seen any around my permissions.i must admit i did enjoy the week end i spent at Hyperion's place doing a few rats with me NV scope,it was good fun.

regards

davy

its good sport,ive had a good fortnight on the rats with dogs and the gun plus two brilliant days out with hounds but yesterday i only caught a couple of small pollack and a few flatties from a days fishing at Whitby.you cant always have good days and maybe you need the rubbish days to appreciate the good ones. :D