few more rats

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

another good session on the rats,due to rats falling into tight gaps and the cover being so thick its impossible to locate all the bodies but we got enough back for a photo.

i get that pretty often,i very rarely blank because i usually find a few that can be shot/taken with a dog but i know that when i go out tonight on another place ill see rats around the calf pens that

Posted Images

theres loads left :clapper: and more coming in all the time as the head from the fields to the farm buildings due to lack of food and maybe the weather.

must be pushing 450 rats from this place,and thats recovered bodies.the actual number will be quite a lot more.

thats some haul dogdigger :notworthy:

ive just checked when we started shooting on this place,it was march 11th.

weve used the dogs in the surrounding gamecrop and release pens for the last couple of seasons taking reasonable tallies,but thats seasonal due to pheasant shooting interests and cover.

do you use a filter on the lamp or just white light and what sort time do go out shooting them

i sold my air gun last year a BSA ultra nice little gun and now got a chance to buy it back for a lot less than i sold it for ( good thing this recession)

is it a sit and wait job or do you walk around looking for them

dogdigger

I use an amber filter but only because it cuts out the glare from white light and shows up a rats eyes perfectly.White light can sometimes blot out a small rat but the filter has its eyes shining.On the whole i dont think filters stop rats from being spooked,they simply help the shooter to see the rat better.Ive used red filters but i dont think they work as well as amber.I also use a dimmer switch but thats as much to save battery power as anything else.Ive shot hundreds of rats using white light from a million candle porwer lamp but i often found that id see the rat sat there whilst scanning around but couldnt see it through the scope.

I tend to have to go ratting on my permission at around 10.00 PM.(We go earlier to the place featured on this thread.) simply because i can blast round with the dogs and/or gun and be back home within the hour to get ready for work the next moring or up even earlier to go hunting at the weekends.However its generally a case of the later the better and i shoot more on the nights i arrive at 11.00 and go home around 1.00am.Another good time is 5.00am before the farmer starts work but i rarely do that these days.

I have no patience so i constantly keep moving,its probably not the best tactic but i cannot stay still for long.I dont think theres a right or wrong way to go shooting,everybody seems to do well just doing what they are happy with. :)

cheers mate i think i might get the gun back and have ago

sounds like good sport without having to walk miles and miles make a nice change

i just got some permission on a pig farm be a good place to start

I've still got the lamp that go's on the scopes just have to get the filter

keep you posted

dogdigger