posting a airgun

Hi can someone shed light on if its ok to post an airgun im selling in case to buyer? is it against law & what are chances of being caught out if it is?

If all being well then what measures should be taken before sending it ? Replies asap as customer waiting lol

I'll explain it as fully as I can:

A law was implemented a few years ago to help crack down on gun violence: that you couldn't commercially post air guns (as in shops). In my opinion it is a good idea. However some gunshops can send you an airgun but not by Royal Mail and the like but by a licensed courier. But private sales (one individual to another) the posting of air guns is permitted because that cuts out the mass market and also the ability to google "air rifle", pay thirty pounds for a cheap chinese rifle via credit card (instant transaction, no hastle, no wait) and have something with killing capability (and novelty) turn up on their doorstep the next day.

Got to go: the neighbour's bloody cat is on my lawn...

That was a joke by the way, just to clarify :tongue2:

Oh, and if memory serves me correctly, there's a post in the airgunbbs private sales section about posting rifles (can't copy it for you 'cause I was suspended off it for a futile, paranoid reason ;) )

Edited by othickman

A law was implemented a few years ago to help crack down on gun violence: that you couldn't commercially post air guns (as in shops). In my opinion it is a good idea. However some gunshops can send you an airgun but not by Royal Mail and the like but by a licensed courier. But private sales (one individual to another) the posting of air guns is permitted because that cuts out the mass market and also the ability to google "air rifle", pay thirty pounds for a cheap chinese rifle via credit card (instant transaction, no hastle, no wait) and have something with killing capability (and novelty) turn up on their doorstep the next day.

Oh, and if memory serves me correctly, there's a post in the airgunbbs private sales section about posting rifles (can't copy it for you 'cause I was suspended off it for a futile, paranoid reason ;) )

cheers for that the shop i am waiting to get me a gun in said they would not post as it was now illegle if they dont know the law mabye i should go else where they sound a bit dodgy now

cheers for that the shop i am waiting to get me a gun in said they would not post as it was now illegle if they dont know the law mabye i should go else where they sound a bit dodgy now

so posting the gun fully wrapped up & secure to the orkney isles will be fine and the customs wont bother with it if posted via royal mail?

If it is a private sale, and yes, fully wrapped up, I do believe that it should be fine. However I don't know anything about the Orkney isles' laws (if they're different to England's that is).

And assasin8or, they should be okay with posting if it goes through a courier. But don't you have a gunshop that is close enough to not need posting...? That said, if you want it from a further shop because it's cheaper, postage is ordinarily about £10-15.

Atvb.

assain8or.

I was under the impression that the only way that a shop can deliver an air rifle is if it is delivered by a RFD. I think theres a website...pellpax or something like that who deliver all across the country. But most ordinary gunshops wont deliver.

Also Gramas, if its a PCP i would say its a good idea to empty the air resovoir of air first.

Ryan