Advice for a complete novice.

Hi,

First post on this site, i joined with an interest in dogs but browsing this section has got me really interested in hunting with an air rifle.

I have land with lots of rabbits on it available to me.

I am on a fairly remote Scottish island so cannot walk into a shop and try a lot of rifles.

So i am looking for help choosing a gun and wonder if some of you more experienced guys would able to answer some of my questions.

I have access to one fairly experienced chap currently he uses a very old Weihrauch but hasn't bought a gun for years so not a lot of help with a purchase.

My main quarry is going to be rabbit which i should be able to get relatively close too.

I don't want get something which will be useless or even limit me too much in enjoying the sport but at the same time no point in me owning more gear or technology than i am going to use.

So what do i definitely need, what would be nice and what would be overkill for me at this stage.

What should be my minimum spend to get a decent beginners gun and what should i not need to spend.

I need a gun, a bag what else is essential basic kit.

I am 6' 6" does this make a difference to what gun/ stock i choose, ie. comfort.

Would be happy for any information either criteria which my gun should meet or a couple of models which you would recommend.

If possible could you recommend some dealers who do mail order.

Any information will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Alan

Edited by northernsoul

2 questions..

do you want an spring powered (recommended for first air gun) or a pcp (have to fill up after every 60 odd shots)

also..

how much money are you willing to spend alltogether? including gun bag,scope,silencer (if you want one)

id be happy to try and help if you included that info :)

Hi Alan,

I agree with Stealthy, get yourself a Spring Powered Air Rifle. I'd suggest you get something sort of mid-budget (£300ish) which should get you a decent gun and scope (telescopic sight). Below is a shopping list of essentials;

ESSENTIALS

Gun - Like your friend I haven't shot many of the new springers but lots of people on here will recommend any Weihrauch, Air Arms TX200, Webley, etc) You'll need to chose between 0.22 or 0.177 (the bore diameter in inches), although for shooting on farmland 0.22 is definitely the most popular. [£250ish]

Scope - go for either a 4x40 (which means it will magnify the subject by a scale of 4, and the diameter of the front lens is 40mm which helps you see in low light) or a 3-9x40 (this has variable magnification) [£40ish]

Scope Mounts - to hold the scope on the gun! Spend as much as you want here but £20 is more than enough

Pellets - I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about Air Arms Field Diablo, H&N Field Target Trophy or Crosman Accupels. Chose one of these and you can't go wrong. Also, I'd advise you stick with domed (round headed) pellets as they are the most versatile pellet. [£10 for 500]

ACCESSORIES

Gun Slip - Just get a nice padded slip so your gun can travel about without getting damaged [£20]

Sling - If you're walking round fields all day, a sling is a good accessory. You will probably need to mount the swivels on the gun yourself (too much detail to go into just now!) [£30ish]

Oil/Grease - Get some gun specific lubricants for protecting and maintaining your gun. Don't use WD40 or any old oil lying about the house. Its harmful to the gun and potentially dangerous! [£5]

I think that'll be all you need for a very competent kit. Of course, you could find someone selling a second hand-gun who will have pretty much all the kit bundled in, but its difficult to do as good second hand guns get snapped up.

The final piece of advice I would give is to look at some gun shops who provide a gun & scope ready assembled. This will be good value for money.

All the best,

John

do you no why the old man hasnt bought a gun for years

because weihrauch are brilliant guns and will last a life time

if ur 6ft 6 then the weight of these guns shouldnt be a prob for you

atb

do you no why the old man hasnt bought a gun for years

because weihrauch are brilliant guns and will last a life time

if ur 6ft 6 then the weight of these guns shouldnt be a prob for you

atb

I see you live on a remote Island, but your Laws will be the same as the Mainland, you cannot buy Airweapons bar pre war mail order under the 1997 VCR act, your opptions are pop into your nearest RFD gun shop, or a private sale is a legal transaction to allow posting ie buying an air rifle from a newspaper private ad or internet private ad. I would recomend a weapon that will require little or no need for mainland backup, a PCP with a stirup pump unless you have a dive centre on the Island to fill your Bottle, makes to go for with your frame would be Airarms S400s or Daystates, good length rifles for the taller Man.

Atb, foxon.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply's so far.

I'm in Orkney by the way.

So far it would seem i need to spend £300ish for a gun and a few basics, something simple, spring powered, 0.22 caliber, Weihrauch seems popular along with a couple of other brands.

Within the above criteria is there any popular models that i should look at.

Does anyone disagree with the above basic criteria.

But i can't buy mail order, i didn't know that. (Not even for those which don't require a fire arms license ?)

Where is good place to look for a private sale on the web.

Can anyone recommend any decent suppliers in the North of Scotland Aberdeen, Inverness north.

Thanks

Alan

Just thought i would add there is a massive diving community up her i'm sure access to filling gas bottles wouldn't be a problem.

Is precharged a big advantage and how much more would you expect to spend.

It does seem very popular when you look through the forum.

Alan

Just thought i would add there is a massive diving community up her i'm sure access to filling gas bottles wouldn't be a problem.

Is precharged a big advantage and how much more would you expect to spend.

It does seem very popular when you look through the forum.

Alan

Precharged would be better, price wise its what takes your fancy, and how it feels in your hands :)

Hi,

Can't argue with anything that hasn't already been said.

If you are new to air guns then PCPs are easier to shoot, but more expensive overall by the time you have added in the cost of a pump/bottle etc. Some would argue that they are also more expensive to maintain and service and prone to more problems than springers.

Springers are cheaper and virtually maintenence free. They can take the bashings from a hard life. Harder to shoot though, but very good for improving your shooting technique. Avoid any Chinese springers - they have improved a lot and the price is attractive, but they are not as good as a German or Brit (or Turkish) gun. Seconfd hand good quality springers are easily available.

Avoid CO2 guns for now - they lose power in cold weather.

Another alternative is a quality pump up - like the Sheridan Blue Streak. Advantages are no recoil - like a PCP, very very accurate, go on for years if looked after (mine is over 50 years old and shhots well), they make you think about your shot so you tend to be more certain when you shoot, disadvantage is pumping for every shot and they are an acquired taste.

I guess thast you might be limited on the number of gun shops you can easily access?

The uk air gun forums are usually good for advice, gun reviews and good for second hand sales (airgun BBS or Airgun Forum) People tend to be prtetty honest. You can also purchase second hand from private sales and get the item posted with no bother.

You can't go wrong with good quality dome head pellets for most quarry, at most ranges.

Personally I would start with a springer and, has already been said, your mate hasn't had to buy a gun for a while 'cos he's got a good one. You can spend a fortune on air guns - just keep it simple and good quality to start with and then get something better if you need or want to.

Hope this helps