Tynemouth pier

Guest Geordie

Guest Geordie

If you know the Tynemouth pier ye will know that it is owned by a private club(as far as fishing goes anyway)

Best places are(as far as i am concerned) midway along the pier,on the bend,fish the seaside not the riverside,this is where the rocks drop off into a sort of depression,before they start again,takes a bit fishing to get to know where exactly to fish to avoid the snags but its well worth it if you perservere.

Hottest spot for me is the end of the pier,everyone says fish at 12 o'clock ,in otherwords straight out,bollox :p:p if you fish at 10- 11 oclock you are straight into the snaggy rocks and kelp and this is where the bigguns are.

Fish with a 6oz breakaway,double hooks,preferably fine wires such as Aberdeeen finewires,use a big leader such as 60lb as there are a lot of sharp and snaggy rocks,dont worry too much about bait type,most baits work well,though ive had my best catches on lug or peeler.

The trick is to let your fish pull your bait out to the open sea,then strike,if you strike too early you will just pull the fish/hook/weight into the rocks,which is how you lose ye fish and ye end tackle.

If you look at the rocks at low tide you can see that they lean outwards towards the open sea,thus making ledges that run out to sea,if ye strike too early you just pull the fish/tackle into these ledges.

Night time is the only time to fish this pier as its privately owned,but once you are on the end nobody bothers you :ph34r: :yes:

If there is nowt happening on the end,try the riverside about 3/4 of the way out,had some good catches of coalies and whiting from here.

The end is the best tho,my best from there is an 11 lb cod,8lb cod ,3lb cod and about 6 whiting and 6 coalies all in 1 night,my mate fished the 12 oclock position for about 2 hours and caught nowt :D:D he eventually came poachin on my spot and bagged up good style.

Im no expert,i only know the spots i know,but if anyone ever fishes this spot,these are my reccomendations :whistle:

All the best

If you know the Tynemouth pier ye will know that  it is owned by a private club(as far as fishing goes anyway)

Best places are(as far as i am concerned) midway along the pier,on the bend,fish the seaside not the riverside,this is where the rocks drop off into a sort of depression,before they start again,takes a bit fishing to get to know where exactly to fish to avoid the snags but its well worth it  if you perservere.

Hottest spot for me is the end of the pier,everyone says fish at 12 o'clock ,in otherwords straight out,bollox :p  :p  if you fish at 10- 11 oclock you are straight into the snaggy rocks and kelp and this is where the bigguns are.

Fish with a 6oz breakaway,double hooks,preferably fine wires such as Aberdeeen finewires,use a big leader such as 60lb as there are a lot of sharp and snaggy rocks,dont worry too much about bait type,most baits work well,though ive had my best catches on lug or peeler.

The trick is to let your fish pull your bait out to the open sea,then strike,if you strike too early you will just pull the fish/hook/weight into the rocks,which is how you lose ye fish and ye end tackle.

If you look at the rocks at low tide you can see that they lean outwards towards the open sea,thus making ledges that run out to sea,if ye strike too early you just pull the fish/tackle into these ledges.

Night time is the only time to fish this pier as its privately owned,but once you are on the end nobody bothers you :ph34r:  ;)

If there is nowt happening on the end,try the riverside about 3/4 of the way out,had some good catches of coalies and whiting from here.

The end is the best tho,my best from there is an 11 lb cod,8lb cod ,3lb cod and about 6 whiting and 6 coalies all in 1 night,my mate fished the 12 oclock position for about 2 hours and caught nowt :lol:  :lol:  he eventually came poachin on my spot and bagged up good style.

Im no expert,i only know the spots i know,but if anyone ever fishes this spot,these are my reccomendations :whistle:

All the best

yer right there mate andy i used to fish at night climbing over the gates :whistle: to get on we had few good nights but the waves can errrr come over wacko.gif me bro used to fish half way along were as me stormed to the end trying to cast to the horizon he used to beat me hands down with his wack and tangle gear me with me conoflex dc6 and 7000c abu fond memories of it now dont go just the odd time out with the fly gear :( cheers rob

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Andy and Rob,

The only time i tried to fish Tynemouth , it was not possible to get on, for the club members.

Along from there , which i presume you have fished, is Blyth Pier, said to be the best Cod spot in England. Most people try and fish from the end, which is very dangerous anyway,- but if you fish sea side from the bend in the South Pier, you are fishing into a trough, which always gives up some good fish.

Also from Blyth beach, about 50 yards down from the pier, 50 yards out is the same trough with a large hole. Further down to Seaton Sluice about 200 yards, opposite the car park toilets, is another deep hole in the same trough, but i think a little further out.

Blyth beach is giving up good sized fish this past week.

I was not so struck on the beach and pier fishing. We always just went night fishing. I found the boat fishing much better.

What do you think of the boat fishing off Tyne and Blyth.

• 4 months later...
If you know the Tynemouth pier ye will know that  it is owned by a private club(as far as fishing goes anyway)

Best places are(as far as i am concerned) midway along the pier,on the bend,fish the seaside not the riverside,this is where the rocks drop off into a sort of depression,before they start again,takes a bit fishing to get to know where exactly to fish to avoid the snags but its well worth it  if you perservere.

Hottest spot for me is the end of the pier,everyone says fish at 12 o'clock ,in otherwords straight out,bollox :p  :p  if you fish at 10- 11 oclock you are straight into the snaggy rocks and kelp and this is where the bigguns are.

Night time is the only time to fish this pier as its privately owned,but once you are on the end nobody bothers you :ph34r:  :D

The end is the best tho,my best from there is an 11 lb cod,8lb cod ,3lb cod and about 6 whiting and 6 coalies all in 1 night,my mate fished the 12 oclock position for about 2 hours and caught nowt :lol:  :lol:  he eventually came poachin on my spot and bagged up good style.

All the best

yer right there mate andy i used to fish at night climbing over the gates :whistle: to get on we had few good nights but the waves can errrr come over :wacko: me bro used to fish half way along were as me stormed to the end trying to cast to the horizon he used to beat me hands down with his wack and tangle gear me with me conoflex dc6 and 7000c abu fond memories of it now dont go just the odd time out with the fly gear :( cheers rob

Night time is the only time to fish this pier as its privately owned,but once you are on the end nobody bothers you :ph34r:  :D

All the best

yer right there mate andy i used to fish at night climbing over the gates :whistle: to get on we had few good nights but the waves can errrr come over :wacko: me bro used to fish half way along were as me stormed to the end trying to cast to the horizon he used to beat me hands down with his wack and tangle gear me with me conoflex dc6 and 7000c abu fond memories of it now dont go just the odd time out with the fly gear :( cheers rob

i could still do it now rob fishing into the graveyard has its good points :yahoo:

• 6 months later...
hello gin

just reading the post again ha ha ha

talking about boats off the tyne.

have you ever tried a boat called the majestic it leaves from newcastle quay side best boat you will ever try from newcastle pmsl

all the best joe  :clapper:  :clapper:  :clapper:

yes bro the only thing that boat needs is two barrells of AAA to sink the thing thats the only way they will get near any fish :yes::yes::yes::guitar::guitar:

Hi Joe,- i got some new boat gear, and was not sure of either using a Blyth boat, or going out from the tyne.

A few good boats leave Blyth, but its always the Tyne boats in the local fishing reports.

Good fishing. :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

hi gin : i havent fished from blyth boats before [bANNED TEXT] but we used to fish from hartlepool a lot had some fantastic days i was looking on a web site the other day the boat was called the bachinalian not sure of the spelling but if u ask rob he may remember the others all the best [bANNED TEXT] joe :clapper::clapper: