Sign in to follow this  
East coast

Poults killed

Some you win some you loose !!!

This was done by a big cub two years ago . Badger in first ,then a single line of fox prints through the middle of the hole .

i hope you shot the f***ers!!

i would say stoat, weasel or hedgehog, i never belived that hedgehogs would kill poults until last year, we killed two in a pen both the size of footballs. Opend them up and they were full of bits of poult, sit up one morning with a gun, there a very underated beast, next time you see one dead just look at its teeth they dont have teeth like that for eating "slugs" good luck

I would say stoat, weasal or mink. SO efficient, very little mess and can get in and out of the pen without damaging the fence wire or the electric. I agree, plenty of fenns and cage traps outside pen.

My keeper friend caught what was killing the poults, big pole cat, was trying to get under the gate into the pen. Didn't make it under as the terrier got a hold a soon made light work of the pole cat. Saved a few more poults.

My keeper friend caught what was killing the poults, big pole cat, was trying to get under the gate into the pen. Didn't make it under as the terrier got a hold a soon made light work of the pole cat. Saved a few more poults.

nice one! If people dont do there jobs in shoots those wee poults are like sitting ducks the predators move in rapid

The polecats were quite common in Aberdeenshire when i was in that area for a couple years not to far fae dunecht. I was thinking the stoat/weasle/ferret/hedgehog line as you mentioned the wee holes in head as an owl just crushes & brusess the whole head.

My keeper friend is down outside perth, Use to get a few stoats in traps but not many ferrets/polecats at the estate i worked at outside ellon.

Guest black patt
My mate who is a keeper is having poults killed, there is 2 small holes at back of head an they have buried a few as well. They have killed a few outside the pen and a couple inside. Thought it may have been a mink or a ferret.

Has the usually stuff set up around the pen but still no takers.

Any suggestions?

Hi there you don't have pine martins over there? sound like martin to me I had a lot killed like that outside Inverness have a look up the trees as they carry them up into the trees. I had over 50 killed in one night absolute carnage.

Why is it that people post on a thread without reading the previous posts? eastcoast has already said his keeper mate has caught 4 polecats but posters still offer theories as to what the culprit is. :wallbash: