• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi are all of these polecats young?

i'd send a big hob down any local rabbit burys mate,before you lose any more.

stick with the traps.

sound slike the terriers have earned some extra food of late,good job!

atb

i had the same thing a few years ago up in sutherland it was a family of ferrets/polecats they had a few poults before i got on top of them you just gotta keep the fenns goin mate i used to run them all year. glad you nailed the culprits good luck wi the season.

is ther polcats/ ferrets in the wild never new that and didnt no hedgehogs killed animals thought they wer little friendly things a no to kick them into the middle of the road [bANNED TEXT] a see them now :whistling:

hedgehogs are horrible tick an flea ridden little omnivores which will eat anything they can catch and are are proper pain to get out of a fenn trap.

People think polecats are extremly rare, you read any wildlife book and it will tell you they aren't found outside of the welsh hills. We have loads by us, I see lots dead on the roads and have seen a fair few about. I also know how many a neighbouring keeper has caught in a dropbox this season, he has of course been able to release them as drop boxs are live catch traps.

Worth remembering polecats are protected and supposedly very rare this being the case its far more likely to be a feral ferret. lol

People think polecats are extremly rare, you read any wildlife book and it will tell you they aren't found outside of the welsh hills. We have loads by us, I see lots dead on the roads and have seen a fair few about. I also know how many a neighbouring keeper has caught in a dropbox this season, he has of course been able to release them as drop boxs are live catch traps.

Worth remembering polecats are protected and supposedly very rare this being the case its far more likely to be a feral ferret. lol

Yes your quite right there in saying that the polecat is protected,up untill around 30 years ago polecats were mostly found in the welsh foot hills of snowdonia,but slowly the numbers have picked up again,and they are quite widespread throughout the uk now,but they are still protected,however if you were to set a tunnel trap on the intentions of catching a stoat or weasel,and came across a dead polecat in your tunnel trap,then you would not be liable for prosecution,but if you were to set a tunnel in the intention of killing a polecat,then you would be liable to prosecution,so for all those who set tunnel traps just bare that in mind,othewise you might find yourselves knee deep in s..t.

if setting a tunnel trap/seesaw for stoat you should leave a smaller gap at the entrance.and a 2cm gap for the weasel to escape.

trap as selectivley as possible.

weasel seldom last the night trapped they use too much energy.

if you want to trap ferral ferret then just leave the weasel gap,pole cats are only in wales :clapper:

there are ferral ferrets all over the roads in shropshire,middle of the town center in telford.they are not as rare as the antis and eco warrior think. if the info says there are none in your area then i guess they must be ferral ferts??????????????????????????

skull the same,appearance the same( often smell a bit beserk when approached) and size is relative says the missus :icon_redface:

keep the beasties out of the pens.

atb for the season.

My keeper friend caught what was killing the poults, big pole cat, was trying to get under the gate into the pen. Didn't make it under as the terrier got a hold a soon made light work of the pole cat. Saved a few more poults.

The polecats were quite common in Aberdeenshire when i was in that area for a couple years not to far fae dunecht. I was thinking the stoat/weasle/ferret/hedgehog line as you mentioned the wee holes in head as an owl just crushes & brusess the whole head.

Is there any type of vermin that there isnt millions off round about dunecht!? lol

My keeper friend caught what was killing the poults, big pole cat, was trying to get under the gate into the pen. Didn't make it under as the terrier got a hold a soon made light work of the pole cat. Saved a few more poults.

The polecats were quite common in Aberdeenshire when i was in that area for a couple years not to far fae dunecht. I was thinking the stoat/weasle/ferret/hedgehog line as you mentioned the wee holes in head as an owl just crushes & brusess the whole head.

Is there any type of vermin that there isnt millions off round about dunecht!? lol

do you or did you go to nhc thurso

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper: he has the kites and buzzards on the whistle now from what i hear...imo its just run now to giv the laird some good pr