My mate who is a keeper is having poults killed, there is 2 small holes at back of head an they have buried a few as well. They have killed a few outside the pen and a couple inside. Thought it may have been a mink or a ferret.

Has the usually stuff set up around the pen but still no takers.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some you win some you loose !!!

This was done by a big cub two years ago . Badger in first ,then a single line of fox prints through the middle of the hole .

That is the worst thing imaginable i lost count after 100 what was the final count 130 or something?

This was done by a big cub two years ago . Badger in first ,then a single line of fox prints through the middle of the hole .

suprised i didnt hear you swearing from here

Guest Champ606

Its a shame the anti's dont choose to see these photos hey, gutting!

A mink or ferret wouldn't usally bury i wouldn't of thought.Foxes bury all the time but mostly take the heads off or crunch marks under the wings and on the back.look around wet patches on the ground see what tracks are about is he sure its not a otter?

That is the worst thing imaginable i lost count after 100 what was the final count 130 or something?

I think we picked up 160/70 in the pen and another 40 outside the pen later .

It fairly spoils your day !! :cry:

I lost 87 poults in one pen last year, they all had their heads taken off and 3/4 buried, only their legs sticking out the ground, it was the work of 2 cubs, they'd squeezed through our fox grids. I got the full family that week, dog, vixen and 3 cubs. and at £3.25 a poult it was an expensive loss!

There is 2 small teeth like marks at back of head, rest of body seems okay. I thought hedgehog but they more likely to crush the head. He has traps set up around ranging from cage to fenns to snares.

Have had tawny owls kill poults before in pens.