Shooting rats at Night

Hello all, I'm currently shooting a .22 air rifle which I bought mainly for pinging rats around our property. Having shot quite a few with this set up during the day, I'm noticing an increasing shyness of the rats to show during daylight hours, but I know there are still loads around. As such I'm considering how to tackle them during darkness and wondering about some night vision. I'm wondering if you have any thoughts/advice on what I would need, eg;

-Night Vision rifle scope?

-Night vision googles?

Or would I be better just mounting a powerful torch on top of the rifle and/or using a lamping kit?

I dont really do any other hunting but am committed to taking out these flippin rats! Any input gratefully received!

cheers

Russ

Hello all, I'm currently shooting a .22 air rifle which I bought mainly for pinging rats around our property. Having shot quite a few with this set up during the day, I'm noticing an increasing shyness of the rats to show during daylight hours, but I know there are still loads around. As such I'm considering how to tackle them during darkness and wondering about some night vision. I'm wondering if you have any thoughts/advice on what I would need, eg;

-Night Vision rifle scope?

-Night vision googles?

Or would I be better just mounting a powerful torch on top of the rifle and/or using a lamping kit?

I dont really do any other hunting but am committed to taking out these flippin rats! Any input gratefully received!

cheers

Russ

Hi Russ

I have a tesco 3 watt led torch strapped to my bsa ultra and it works a treat for rats around the chicken shed.

I think the torches are about eight quid and I am sure you can strap it to your rifle some how and I can send you some red filter gel which will give you a red light that rats cannot see.

Hope this helps

All the best 410 PHIL

Thanks for that! I have a brilliant torch which is small enough if I could get a scope mount to attach it to the rifle. Not sure where I'd get that though?

The other option is a Hawke Stinger mini-Gun lamp (http://www.ronniesunshines.com/hawke-stinger-mini-gunlight-lamp-filter-p-895.html) which comes with a red filter, and then a scope that has illuminated cross-hairs, (eg http://www.ronniesunshines.com/illuminated...nts-p-344.html) although admittedly a more pricey option coming in at a total of around £90 . . . worth it?