I have a BSA lightning XL in .177 as a spare gun, which is being used more and more by my son.

He unfortunately is struggling a bit with the recoil, and I was considering replacing the spring with a gas ram, for the smoother action and reduced recoil.

However I am concerned about the potential power increase as reported up to 18ft/lb in some articles I have seen.

I am not an FAC holder, and have no intentions of exceeding the current power limits.

Can anyone offer any sound advice based on experience or true knowledge to help me out.

Kind regards

John

it is very unlikey that a "standard" gas ram will exceed the legal limit.

the easiest way would be to have a gunsmith fit it and set it up.

or, if you want to do it your self buy a crombo chrono and then you can test it as and when you like.

as i have said.......it is VERY unlikely to be over, but always best to check

atb

sean

Edited by SEAN3513

if you fit the right gas ram for your gun. it will not be over powered. ps make sure u get the lightning xl gas ram becouse if you use a standered lightning ram it will be under power. i have used one for years in my excel with no problem with the power.

if you fit the right gas ram for your gun. it will not be over powered. ps make sure u get the lightning xl gas ram becouse if you use a standered lightning ram it will be under power. i have used one for years in my excel with no problem with the power.

i think i amgetting standard lightning gas ram fitted :icon_eek: . are you sure? i thought the only difference betwen the xl and standard was the fancy chequerd stock. the internals are the same

i think i amgetting standard lightning gas ram fitted :icon_eek: . are you sure? i thought the only difference betwen the xl and standard was the fancy chequerd stock. the internals are the same

a mate of mine has a xl in his gun & it fires at 8lb. the reson i was giving by donny c on here was that its xl ram in a standard lighting becouse there isnt as much psi in the xl ram pm him he will know more than me mate.

a mate of mine has a xl in his gun & it fires at 8lb. the reson i was giving by donny c on here was that its xl ram in a standard lighting becouse there isnt as much psi in the xl ram pm him he will know more than me mate.

The Gas Ram is the power plant what ever gun you fit it in, it is up to you to fill the Gas Ram via the HE pump to get the correct power output, if you overfill you will not be able to break the barrel as the Gas Ram will be over gassed, you will need a chronograph to check your work, a Punch to degas & the HE pump & adapter for either Theoben or HW depending on the ram you use to fill, it would be highly unlikely you could put the gun over by much as you will not be able to cock the rifle without bending the barrel & overloading sear & pawl with a trigger release that will feel like 30lbs. This system is fail safe & idiot proof.

foxon.

The Gas Ram is the power plant what ever gun you fit it in, it is up to you to fill the Gas Ram via the HE pump to get the correct power output, if you overfill you will not be able to break the barrel as the Gas Ram will be over gassed, you will need a chronograph to check your work, a Punch to degas & the HE pump & adapter for either Theoben or HW depending on the ram you use to fill, it would be highly unlikely you could put the gun over by much as you will not be able to cock the rifle without bending the barrel & overloading sear & pawl with a trigger release that will feel like 30lbs. This system is fail safe & idiot proof.

foxon.

thats aaron f****d then !!!!!!!!!

i dont get it..... :blink::laugh:

Sean seems to think there could be a problem, if you lived closer I would fit it for you foc as I am a service agent for Theoben, with good parts backup & the HE pump & adapters. email me if you need help but I am sure you will be ok.

foxon.

• 3 weeks later...

foxon.

That's all well and good for Theoben and the HW90 as you can adjust the pressure in the ram but all the retro-fit kits are sealed and can't be changed.

If you just state clearly the exact make, model and caliber of your gun to whoever supplys the kit, you'll be fine.

Cheers.